• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When switching login accounts, what info is recorded?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Hey guys, looking for a little brainstorming...

So when u go online and u log into a website, it saves certain info. Like ebay saves your IP address... every site gives u cookies, etc... I know there's some things we just can't get around like MAC addresses, but this isn't THAT serious of a discussion.

What can someone do to make it appear that they haven't logged into any other accounts with this computer?

-Use a proxy to hide ur IP address.
-Clear Cache/History/Cookies/Sessions/Preferences/etc by pressing Control-Shift-Delete

Am I missing something else that would obviously give away my history with that website? Or is that really the best we can hope to do?

Appear to whom? You trying to cover your tracks from someone else that uses that computer, or from the website you actually visit? If the former, generally speaking 'private mode' in browsers will accomplish this. If the latter, most sites will establish cookies and log your IP address, not much more than that.

If, though, you're attempting to do something sketchy on a site that prohibits it (for example, bidding up your own item on ebay through another account), then chances are you're going to have a tougher time. Sites that prohibit things like that more than likely have much more extensive measures for identification.. they'll probably log every piece of information the client sends them, and store it, and run some proprietary analysis against the data looking for possible violations.

Appear to whom? You trying to cover your tracks from someone else that uses that computer, or from the website you actually visit? If the former, generally speaking 'private mode' in browsers will accomplish this. If the latter, most sites will establish cookies and log your IP address, not much more than that.

If, though, you're attempting to do something sketchy on a site that prohibits it (for example, bidding up your own item on ebay through another account), then chances are you're going to have a tougher time. Sites that prohibit things like that more than likely have much more extensive measures for identification.. they'll probably log every piece of information the client sends them, and store it, and run some proprietary analysis against the data looking for possible violations.

yeah, this question from the OP sounds very vauge, lacking detail to a degree.

from what i see, i get

what can i do to remain completely anonymous on the internet?
and in all reality, its nothing. if you're looking to erase tracks, keep yourself out of the Govt spotlight, you're in for a world of hurt :thup:

there are things i could suggest, however, without knowing your intent, i'm going to abstain until i know for sure :p

plus, what that being in mind, is it even "talkable" here? without knowing more details about the orig post its kind of hard to say. not trying to derail you foxy, but i just want to keep this thread on the right direction :D

I don't think the OP is necessarily wanting to remain completely anonymous online. I think what he's after is fooling a particular website into believe that he is two separate people. This, coupled with the fact that he mentioned eBay, makes my mind gravitate towards something sketchy (like upbidding your own item on eBay). This hopefully isn't the case, maybe the OP can clarify. :)

Hey guys... I mean appear to the website. It's not ebay. For educational purposes, I want to know how to keep most websites from realizing the same person visits using multiple IDs.

Or reword it from the other perspective.. As a website, how can I track users who are trying to use multiple accounts?

Private mode, versus normal and wiping cache.... Is there a difference? How does someone even run in Private Mode in Firefox now? They kind of removed that button these days.

Hey guys... I mean appear to the website. It's not ebay. For educational purposes, I want to know how to keep most websites from realizing the same person visits using multiple IDs.

Or reword it from the other perspective.. As a website, how can I track users who are trying to use multiple accounts?

Private mode, versus normal and wiping cache.... Is there a difference? How does someone even run in Private Mode in Firefox now? They kind of removed that button these days.

AFAIK, websites record the browser used, IP address and the OS used. Maybe the MAC address, although that just gets stripped on and off when it [packets] gets routed around.

I haven't seen a website track my logon username yet.. Then again, I'm not looking for that....

AFAIK, websites record the browser used, IP address and the OS used. Maybe the MAC address, although that just gets stripped on and off when it [packets] gets routed around.

I haven't seen a website track my logon username yet.. Then again, I'm not looking for that....

mac's usually get stripped out during transit, however, source gets kept if i recall.

meaning source of your router's ID. anything behind the router is kept in the route table and or Nat translations.

Back