• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build Advice - Music Production, Media Center

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RapMastaC1

I am looking for some advice on a build I'm setting up. I haven't built a computer since 2008 nor have I paid too much attention to the computing industry since then so I have some catching up to do. I'm building a computer to replace my iMac to use alongside my Windows laptop. I'm looking for something that can handle a lot of plugins and virtual instruments in FL Studio 11. I will also be using the PC as a media server as well as a data center for our house (for cloud purposes).

I'm looking at an AMD FX8350 8 core processor, sitting around 4gzh. I know FL Studio will be able to take advantage of the 8 core machine. I just don't know if this will be the best processor for my needs. I still haven't picked a motherboard, I'm trying to find one that has a basic video card and no sound card, but everything I see is the opposite. I will want to get a better video card down the road but I'm more focused on putting that money in a sound card.

I want to run 16GB of ram to start with the ability to go to 32 and if the board supports it, 64 down the road. I need at least 4 PCIe slots so I can have a dual slotted graphics card, a sound card, and a thunderbolt card as well. I will be looking at having to SSDs and two HDD internally so Sata3 is important to me. I would prefer to stick to stock cooling but I know the processor runs quite hot especially when it has its version of Turbo Boost on so water cooling won't scare me. I don't know if that makes a difference in the mobo or the case I'm getting.

I will update as I find more info, I appreciate any feedback you guys have.

Cheers! - Nick

I am looking for some advice on a build I'm setting up. I haven't built a computer since 2008 nor have I paid too much attention to the computing industry since then so I have some catching up to do. I'm building a computer to replace my iMac to use alongside my Windows laptop. I'm looking for something that can handle a lot of plugins and virtual instruments in FL Studio 11. I will also be using the PC as a media server as well as a data center for our house (for cloud purposes).

I'm looking at an AMD FX8350 8 core processor, sitting around 4gzh. I know FL Studio will be able to take advantage of the 8 core machine. I just don't know if this will be the best processor for my needs. I still haven't picked a motherboard, I'm trying to find one that has a basic video card and no sound card, but everything I see is the opposite. I will want to get a better video card down the road but I'm more focused on putting that money in a sound card.

I want to run 16GB of ram to start with the ability to go to 32 and if the board supports it, 64 down the road. I need at least 4 PCIe slots so I can have a dual slotted graphics card, a sound card, and a thunderbolt card as well. I will be looking at having to SSDs and two HDD internally so Sata3 is important to me. I would prefer to stick to stock cooling but I know the processor runs quite hot especially when it has its version of Turbo Boost on so water cooling won't scare me. I don't know if that makes a difference in the mobo or the case I'm getting.

I will update as I find more info, I appreciate any feedback you guys have.

Cheers! - Nick

My advice for any kind of content creation, whether it be music, video or graphic arts is to just buy a Mac.

I don't agree that you should buy a Mac.

Here is a FAQ giving out basic instructions on what to build for FL
http://support.image-line.com/knowledgebase/base.php?id=55&ans=214

What they are saying in a nutshell:
*4 core+ CPU. Intel CPUs recommended
*ASIO capable discrete sound card
*8GB RAM, 16 if you use a lot of sample based instruments
*Large SSD not needed. Large fast HDD adequate
*Multi monitor setup recommended
*64 bit OS (Win 7 or Win 8)

So based on that, this is what I would recommend you build:

~i7 4770K (or wait until summer and get a 4790K)
~ASUS Z97-A motherboard
~16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 or 1866Mhz 1.5V or lower RAM
~Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD (for OS and program installs)
~Western Digital Blue 2TB HDD (for data. Larger HDD if you need the space)
~Sound Blaster Z PCIe sound card
~Corsair CX 600W PSU (as a minimum. You can get a Seasonic 80+ Gold PSU for about $100-120. You might want to consider that)
~GPU: Cheapest thing with 2 DVI ports, or find a motherboard with 1 DVI and 1 HDMI (which can be used with a DVI conversion cable.)
if you play games get at least a 750ti, and more ideally, a 760.
~Corsair 200R case (I like this case. It's cheap, supports lots of airflow, and is well laid out)

I'd suggest a Noctua NHD14 cpu cooler, and that you overclock your CPU. It will increase your system performance.

Then I'd get yourself 2 decent IPS panel 1080P monitors and run them side by side.

Last edited:
My advice for any kind of content creation, whether it be music, video or graphic arts is to just buy a Mac.

Might just be faster for OP to burn his money.
If he has any will to build one himself, he could get a much better return on a windows based rig.

What is your budget?

Might just be faster for OP to burn his money.
If he has any will to build one himself, he could get a much better return on a windows based rig.

What is your budget?

If I am into content creation and I make my living that way a Mac is the way to go. I have worked in printing/ graphic arts since 1984 and Windows has absolutely no presence. Even in the dark days of the late 1990's.

Back