• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new HDDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
well i spoke too soon. seems to be getting worse now.

game locks up sometimes and sometimes not. however, now when the computer goes to sleep, it will turn on, but never get any video.

not so sure this is a HDD drive issue? could be mother board? dont think is the video card, it is fairly new.

could it still be a HDD issue even if it doesnt boot up properly?

the computer will always turn on, but usually takes a couple tries or i have to let it sit for 30+ mins for me to get video when I boot up.

Sounds like GPU to me, but you say you regain video after it sits for a while?
That sounds like a borked OS to me...

Unplug your mobo's ATX plug and look for melted plastic of any kind. Do the same for the GPU as well, possibly (probably not) a burnt trace of the PSU is acting weird.

Sounds like GPU to me, but you say you regain video after it sits for a while?
That sounds like a borked OS to me...

Unplug your mobo's ATX plug and look for melted plastic of any kind. Do the same for the GPU as well, possibly (probably not) a burnt trace of the PSU is acting weird.

yeah idk man. got me stumped.

ill check for anything that is burnt or melted

yeah idk man. got me stumped.

ill check for anything that is burnt or melted

While not the same, before my mobo got burnt up the GPU's were acting weird.

Not using the slot's full bandwidth and BSOD's and random hard power offs.

then one day it never turned on again :-/
Burnt ATX 12 volt pin.

If your getting BSODs and hard lock ups I would try running memtest.

When you get the BSOD, does it give you any specific error?

This sounds like an unusual problem.

Might be unstable power, possibly. Do you have a multimeter available to check the voltage output of your power supply (3.3V, 5V, 12V rails)?

Or possibly an unstable overclock.

Could also be memory, or perhaps a problem within the OS itself (corrupted or missing files, malware, virus, etc).

Well as an update....

I have added a SSD with fresh windows install on it and a new PSU. I thought for sure the PSU might fix it, but problem is still there. Its now down to mobo, gpu, or memory. What are the chances it is the memory?

If it is the mobo, I will live with it for a couple months until the next gen intel processors come out. If it is GPU, I may replace in a couple months, if it is memory I will fix now, but was kind of holding out to go DDR4 with the new processor and mobo.

Start with the easiest one and run memtest. If the memory is borked, then that's an easy, quick fix. Dropping the OC to stock and testing that way wouldn't hurt either.

Well another update, slowly upgrading as I try to fix this issue. Upgraded memory to 16GB of G.Skill Ares. Only had 6GB before. System definitely seems quicker. It did lock up on once right after I installed new memory, but when I restarted, it booted right up. Previously I would have to let it sit for ~30 mins before it would boot. Played BF4 for a couple hours after without issue. Thinking video card is next if still having issues. Good thing is all of these components were due for updates anyways, this is just forcing me do them. Video card is definitely due for and update.

What do you have for FPS with your GTX 570 in BF4 also what is your in game settings. I usually have about 30-45 FPS on Ultra 1080p. Have you updated your GTX 570 drivers?

What do you have for FPS with your GTX 570 in BF4 also what is your in game settings. I usually have about 30-45 FPS on Ultra 1080p. Have you updated your GTX 570 drivers?

not sure off the top of my head, I believe im around 50-60, but not playing on ultra. Drivers should be up to date, I usually update it whenever a new patch comes out.

:shock: whaaaaa?

That's and odd setup, yet... effective.

Winders is on RAID0 and documents is on RAID 1?
Odd setup, yet I see the benefits of that.

Hehe If my drive dies, I might format them like yours actually :)

This setup was all the rage about 5 years ago, before SSDs really came around.

not sure off the top of my head, I believe im around 50-60, but not playing on ultra. Drivers should be up to date, I usually update it whenever a new patch comes out.

Thanks for the reply, looks like your doing ok for FPS I just wanted to compare your CPU to mine and your CPU is doing good. If your having BF4 lockups also other games, with the GTX 570 mine had that problem, I did a burn in run for several hours with EVGA's software and it has not locked up now.
However my problem was well document from other people with the same super clocked card.

Edit: I see you want to update your video card I'm going to also GTX 970 for me I hope.:) I have seen some complaints on coil whine.

well, upgraded, SSD, PSU, RAM, GPU.....and still happening. Going to try redoing the thermal paste, and if that doesnt work all that is left is the CPU, Mobo

Back