• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r9 270x BIOS question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bellcheese

Registered
Hi, I recently purchased an MSI Twin Frozr r9 270x (2GB model). It's a great card I'm extremely happy with it's performance as well as mantle but I was a little bit disappointed with the overclock I managed and wondered if using the dual bios feature might help me gain a little more performance out of it.

Currently I am using 1160/1460, anything more and it artifacts/red screens on me. It is also getting quite warm with the default fan slope so for now I've had to manually create one, I'm wondering if I can tweak the voltage at all in the BIOS because it is locked currently for me.

If you think that I would be able to either reduce the voltage to keep it cooler or gain a better overclock from the card could you point me in the right direction for a guide on how to do so along please. I've searched teh googles and I just keep getting results about people who had screen flickering issues and had to resort to using the dual bios feature? I'm unsure as to whether those threads will help me in anyway.

Thanks.

VBE 7 can mod your BIOS for that card.

BUT please make a backup of your current BIOS with GPU-Z!!!!
Then you need atiwinflash: here

and here is the guide for flashing your card.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1353325/tutorial-atiwinflash-how-to-flash-the-bios-of-your-ati-cards

Now, in VBE 7 you can change the voltages, max TDP fan curve etc.
Very powerful tool, but used incorrectly, might brick your card if you mess up the BIOS badly.

If that happens, you will have to boot up with another good card, than flash your original BIOS back :)

Quick question, I have a switch for dual bios on the card... would I just be able to switch it and use that?

Quick question, I have a switch for dual bios on the card... would I just be able to switch it and use that?

Your card has 2 BIOS's.

1 is a backup in case your brick the card.
AFAIK there is no difference between the BIOS's, but I could be wrong.

Basically that saves you from having to re-flash the card if you flash a bad BIOS to it.

Your card has 2 BIOS's.

1 is a backup in case your brick the card.
AFAIK there is no difference between the BIOS's, but I could be wrong.

Basically that saves you from having to re-flash the card if you flash a bad BIOS to it.

Yer I didn't explain myself very well, that was what I meant. So essentially it's a 'get out of jail' free card.

Yer I didn't explain myself very well, that was what I meant. So essentially it's a 'get out of jail' free card.

Yeah pretty much.

Just be sure to flick the switch to the bad BIOS after you boot and flash a good BIOS back.*

Otherwise if you kill the backup BIOS you'll have 2 dead BIOS's and what good is that? ;)

* Google instructions in case there is a safer way.

Back