• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benching w/cold ram. Worth it? Tips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi Folks

Couple questions....are scores (in memory intensive benches) noticeably better when taking ram cold? What kind of insulating would I need to do? Vaseline in the slots? Something else?

Got some ek ram parts (monarch modules + the plate they connect to...can't find the part atm) and figure if it makes sense, will definitely give it a go.

Looks like I'll be getting the ss and cascade back around the same time. First up will go 3930k (ss) for 2D's (followed by vgas), 2500k (ss) for 2D's (followed by vgas) or 775's (cascade)...I'm not sure which way I want to go atm. If I go 3930 or 2500...could put the ram (been using tridentx 2400's or hyperx2133's but have others if they're better for this) under cascade. If 775 then the ram (nice corsairs) would be under ss. (Would certainly welcome any thoughts on which socket would be most beneficial for the benching team!)

So....think it'll make a decent difference? Tighter timings, faster, etc? I already run sticks around 1.85v (1.65v ratings) with fannage. What kind of voltages would be relatively, somewhat sanely possible (about the same beatdown level as the 1.85 on air)? Under ss? Under cascade?

Do I really need to vaseline the slots? Will search for a ram insulating guides (it's ss or cascade, not ln2) but certainly any tips or useful links would be awesome.

Anyway...thanks in advance for any thoughts, tips, whatever on whether it's worth taking ram cold, what kind of difference it could make and what, if anything, I should do vis-a-vis insulating?

Thanks!

Edit: This might be better in the memory or benching thread but I don't see how to move it.

It depends on what level you're benching at. If you've already exhausted all the options for software tweaking and are something of a memory master, then yes it's definitely worth it.
If either of the above are not true, you'll get as much or more benefit with much lower risk by doing more tweak research/testing and memory tweaking testing.
That is, of course, my opinion.

Thanks folks!

Not a memory tweak pro (but am getting better at it) but figured since I'll likely not run 2 setups at a time could make use of the 'spare' cooling. Since even a slight difference in speed and/or timings can make a decent difference in ranking, seems like taking them cold could be useful. Would only do it for 2D's and multi-vga 3D's (single vgas I'm hoping to run cold).

First step will be to go ahead and conformal my 1155 and 2011 mobos...gotta do those if I want cold vgas anyway. With work, summer weekend plans and (non-cold ram) benching (and learning more about ram) this could take me a while. Ah well...at least I'm enjoying the ride :)

Thanks again!

There is point with some IC like Samsungs without low clock wall or older chips like Hypers or PSC. You can also try with Hynix for max clock but in this case it's hard to find good enough IMC worth to use cold on memory.
It can be waste of time to make it on quad channel config as you already make max IMC bandwidth with memory on air.

Back