• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annnnd the other shoe... (Sony)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ers-125-billion-loss-playstation-busines.aspx

While not really big news for the CONSOLE part of this story (the Playstation business only lost $78 million vs an overall 1.25 BILLION dollar loss for the company as a while) it is a cautionary tale that involves the fates of both Sony and Microsoft.

The moral of that story is that, when you've been ahead for so long you automatically fail to innovate, getting back on your feet can be the market equivalent of getting back on dry land as you're sinking in quicksand.

Sony's managed to best Microsoft in console gaming... and pretty much nobody else in anything. Sure they sold 7 million PS4s... but samsung sold about FORTY MILLION Galaxy S4s for about the same price and their product cost a lot less to produce (and they come out with a new one every year and sell around 40 million each time.)

This is *context*. A lot of people (especially when you're in the eye of the storm) lose perspective when you talk about who's selling more consoles. That's like talking about how great the in-flight movie was just before your plane crashes into the side of a mountain.

failing to innovate is why Japanese electronics companies have been failing over all since the turn of the century.
look at tech from japan in the 80's and 90's.
lete 90's Japanese tech got way dumbed down for other markets and its been bad ever since, they need to start producing within japan again too, they have a strong work force and wages haven't changed much since the 80's for them so why aren't they doing it. at this point they are feeding other countries their profits

failing to innovate is why Japanese electronics companies have been failing over all since the turn of the century.
look at tech from japan in the 80's and 90's.
lete 90's Japanese tech got way dumbed down for other markets and its been bad ever since, they need to start producing within japan again too, they have a strong work force and wages haven't changed much since the 80's for them so why aren't they doing it. at this point they are feeding other countries their profits

I lived in Japan at the turn of the century: The answer to your question of "why?" is that it's a gigantic mess. Put it this way... When I got there my bank was Sumitomo. Within a week it has merged with another bank to become Sumitomo-Mitsumi. I left for a couple weeks, came back, and it was Sumitomo-Mitsumi-Mitsubishi.

They have some Icelandic-type economics going on there. They made a big tech push in the 80s and 90s... but it all blew up in their faces like it was 1999.

:rofl:

You know innovation is at an all time low when a company like Samsung is touting a gold colored phone as their next big thing....wasted ads on that? Click-click-bang!

Back