• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help creating Custom cooling for GTX 460

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamerQ

hi everyone .
i have recently got a cheap EVGA GTX 460 SuperClocked edition .
problem is high Temp & noisy little Fan ,i even had to lower the Max Voltage from 1.07 to 0.92 to evade the Crazy Temp :
-Idle : 40c , Volt 0.875 , Fan 30% ~1300 rpm
-Load :88c , Volt 0.925 Fan 60% ~ 2300 rpm (noisy as hell) :mad:
room Temp : 24c

i have changed thermal paste , yet nothing changed , & no aftermarket VGA coolers are being sold in my country , so my options are limited to (case Fans), (cpu Fans) ONLY

abmnp2.jpg
le1rr.jpg
29yqyc4.jpg
ouco5c.jpg

what fans i should go with & which direction it should be blowing air to (stock is blowing Air to the Card).
i am thinking of two silent 80mm case fans with 2000 rpm on the Original heatsink , something like that : http://www.overclock.net/t/1355164/ohhgouramis-gpu-pci-fan-mod
what u guys think ? :-/

Last edited:
what about your case?
can you up the exchange of air flow within the case work im thinking as part of the battle against heat and noise.

with the case sleeve over the card it guides the air out the back vents. without it and modded with multiple fans. it will throw heat all over within the case.

can you make a duct that would bring room temp air and deliver it straight to the original GPU fan and maybe boost that with a fan on the duct inlet?

they are a model of gpu that does eat power and dissipate a lot of heat.

just have a think about how you can improve its working environment and get those temperatures lowered.

I used to try to use 140mm fans where I could on cases... they just have a less annoying noise floor.

what about your case?
can you up the exchange of air flow within the case work im thinking as part of the battle against heat and noise.

with the case sleeve over the card it guides the air out the back vents. without it and modded with multiple fans. it will throw heat all over within the case.

can you make a duct that would bring room temp air and deliver it straight to the original GPU fan and maybe boost that with a fan on the duct inlet?

they are a model of gpu that does eat power and dissipate a lot of heat.

just have a think about how you can improve its working environment and get those temperatures lowered.

I used to try to use 140mm fans where I could on cases... they just have a less annoying noise floor.

to be honest . my first concern now is Noise :D , my pc runs super quite & cool , nothing goes above 26c @ idle ,that applies to both HDD , CPU .
i dont have any Fans running in my case other then the silent 120mm Fan of the PSU , & the stock intel i5 fan , both running silent even at load , 4 cores never goes above 50c\52c @ Load .

in other hand VGA fan sounds like a motorcycle taking off , & thats with 40% fan only, even at 30% (lowest Fan speed) which is quite but still noticeable . (btw Fan cannot be oiled , its factory sealed from all sides)

i wanna go with the famous 2X CaseFan mod on original heatsink , but i don't know how specifically it should look like for that card .

well I would ask a moderator to move the thread to the nvidia gpu section so the real gpu modding fanatics can get stuck in and help.

:)

Depending on how much you want to spend, an option you could follow is mounting a h60 or any other closed loop cooling to the GPU... he only thing you need is either someone to make you an adapter or you can make your own.

This thread is a month or two old, but; normally I wouldn't be the one to recommend this route, but for the amount of time and money that you "could" invest in making a customer solution for the card, you could probably have bought a better lower end card from AMD. You'd have far less heat and noise issues that way, and a better card to boot.

Back