• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First wc loop!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Caiowcxs

Hello guys! I always wanted to build a water cooling loop and now that I'm getting into oc I researched a little bit, I have a 8120 (wanna get it to at least 4.8 stable), a gtx770 (don't know much about gpu oc yet!), 8gb of corsair LP ram and a corsair gs600.
So here is the loop that I've been thinking about:
-MCRES Micro Revision 2 reservoir
-MCP655 pump
- swiftech apogee hd cpu water block
- heatkiller gtx 770 waterblock and backplate
-swiftech MCR320 3x120mm radiator
- XSPC 1x120mm rad
And some logisys purple leds
I'm almost buying a NZXT H440 case, this loop will fit, right? Which power supply should I get to power everything? Thanks guys! And sorry for my bad English :v

Caiowcxs, just to give you a reality check 4.8 on an FX 8120 is a tall task to ask of any ambient cooling. Even with a full blown watercooling loop you may not achieve 4.8 stable.

Caiowcxs, just to give you a reality check 4.8 on an FX 8120 is a tall task to ask of any ambient cooling. Even with a full blown watercooling loop you may not achieve 4.8 stable.

I know it won't be easy, but I'll try! Hahaha do you think it's worth to upgrade it to a 8350?

Looking at the reviews of the case, it does support a 360 rad just fine. All of the components should do just fine cooling that. As for upgrading, I cannot say for certain as I don't keep up on AMD.

Looking at the reviews of the case, it does support a 360 rad just fine. All of the components should do just fine cooling that. As for upgrading, I cannot say for certain as I don't keep up on AMD.
Thanks for the reply, my biggest issue now is with the loop and the power supply, I won't have problems if I use different brands for my rads, will I? Do I really need those angular fittings?

Caiowcxs, you will see an improvement moving to a Fx 8350 though only a slight one. As far as a PSU if you attain 4.8 you're going to be sucking a lot of juice from the PSU. Make sure you get a quality unit and I would get at least a 650w unit. When I have my 8350 over 5.2 when benching 3d I've seen my system draw near 725w from the wall. That's an extreme situation but just be informed on how much power these Fx 8xxx draw when pushed. Mixed rads aren't an issue just try not to mix medals if you don't have to. As fas as your goal, 4.8 is attainable, if you have a good piece of silicon and a good motherboard it can be done.

Caiowcxs, you will see an improvement moving to a Fx 8350 though only a slight one. As far as a PSU if you attain 4.8 you're going to be sucking a lot of juice from the PSU. Make sure you get a quality unit and I would get at least a 650w unit. When I have my 8350 over 5.2 when benching 3d I've seen my system draw near 725w from the wall. That's an extreme situation but just be informed on how much power these Fx 8xxx draw when pushed. Mixed rads aren't an issue just try not to mix medals if you don't have to. As fas as your goal, 4.8 is attainable, if you have a good piece of silicon and a good motherboard it can be done.
So a 750w is enough to oc the CPU and gpu + power the loop?

Yes a quality 750W will also give you plenty if you decide to run another GTX770 in SLI.

Ok guys, for my rad fans I'll use corsair sp120mm Pwm quiet edition, for coolin liquid I thought of using the one from thermaltake (nice and green!) any suggestion for tubing? I need it white and compatible with the rest of the system, I found a XSPC FLX white 7/16 in. ID but they're kinda expensive

Caiowcxs, it seems as if you have done some homework, but I would look through this section you may have missed. Do it right the first time and you will not waste money buying things twice. Also look at these websites for fan and radiator testing, http://martinsliquidlab.org/, http://skinneelabs.com/ and http://www.overclock.net/t/1190800/bundymania-user-review-triple-radiator-360-roundup-16-rads-tested, For starters, you will find most of us do not recommend "coolant" for a loop unless it's mixed metals. Distilled water, biocide and or silver coil is all you need. Those pretty liquids do nothing but increase the maintenance and clog the loop if you don't maintain it. Tubing, I've used pretty much all of it I find MasterKleer to be one of the lesser expensive ones and have had no issues with it. I do suggest going with tubing with 1/8" thick walls so 3/8" ID/ 5/8" OD or 1/2" ID/ 3/4" OD, the thicker walls are less prone to kinking and hindering flow.

You want good tubing, Primochill Advanced LRT is what I would advise with the choice of color.

Ok guys, here are the parts of my loop by now:
CPU Block: Koolance Water Block for AMD Processors
GPU Block: HEATKILLER® GPU-X³ GTX 770 Hole Edition Waterblock (15537) and backplate
Radiators: 1x Swiftech MCR320-QP
1x XSPC EX120
Pump: Swiftech MCP655
Reservoir: Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 250 - POM/Acetal (looks so awesome!)
Compression fittings: XSPC 3/8in. ID x 5/8in. OD Compression Fitting (Chrome)
Tubing: PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 3/8in. x 5/8in
Fans: Corsair sp120 PWM quiet edition
The only thing that I need is a good liquid, if you guys have any advice! I'm trying to use only normal fittings and zero of those angular ones, I don't 100% need them, right?

The only thing that I need is a good liquid, if you guys have any advice!

For starters, you will find most of us do not recommend "coolant" for a loop unless it's mixed metals. Distilled water, biocide and or silver coil is all you need.
From my above post.

Caiwcxs, alot of those questions have been explained in the water cooling stickies. Reading your posts makes me think you haven't read through it or just rushing. Please take the time and read those stickies whether it takes days to weeks. You will get a better grasp on things. Water cooling is a beast of its own and has a lot of learning curves. Its not that hard really once you get a better understanding of what you have and will need to maintain it. Do it right the first time.

Understand the heat load you will produce and heat surface needed to dissipate the heat. Do you want a quiet or loud rig? How much rad will be needed? What fans with those rads? What FPI rads? What delta-T are you aiming for? Ambient temp? etc etc

Here's a great review site of water cooling components.

What is a biocide and those other stuff that you said?
I'm not saying this to be a wiseguy Caiowcxs, I'm saying to help you gain knowledge of what you are doing. Read the stickies as GTX mention and I had before. Water cooling when done properly is great, when done without full knowledge of what you're getting involved in, can get very expensive. Do not rush into it and do your research, which can start by figuring out what Distilled water is as well as biocide.

I'm not saying this to be a wiseguy Caiowcxs, I'm saying to help you gain knowledge of what you are doing. Read the stickies as GTX mention and I had before. Water cooling when done properly is great, when done without full knowledge of what you're getting involved in, can get very expensive. Do not rush into it and do your research, which can start by figuring out what Distilled water is as well as biocide.
O know what distilled water is, and I did some more research and found out what a biocide is. I know that there's a lot to research still and I'm trying to learn as much as possible!

Back