• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5KC and 8Gb of ram DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brljak83

Hiii to all of you,

I am short on time but this time I will just start the threed and finish it tomorrow.

So, this motherboard is by the manufacturer able to run 4x2gb ddr2 and 2x2gb ddr3
I say it now it can go up to 8gb ddr3
This is what happend

I was reading before I bought ddr3 and just found two guys tellin about it can go
Up to 8gb but I didnt belive. So I bought 2x2gb. Becouse one guy was tellin
It ran on 2x4gb hyper X Blue. So I tried thoese hyper 8gig and wont boot.
I tried 2x2gig also kingston and wont boot eather.

Tried 2x2gig transcen and it worked.

So this mobo dont like kingstone.

After one week I couldent leave it alone and today I bought 4gig stick
Also transcend and it boooted...yeah
Then i putted one of the two gig and it booooted again with 6gig

Did some benchmarks and everything is running ok

Tomorow I will get my another 4 gig stick so it wont be 6gig anymore

Just think about it
The manufacturar say it can support 2gig stick and its an info when on.the market were none 4gig sticks....and if it can read 4gig sticks then this is a great mobo with 4 ddr2 slots and maybe 16gig ddr2 support and for sure 2slotsddr3 with 8gig support

Tomorow I will make a youtube upload and for now here the few pics I have taken
Tomorrow it will be more pics

Hope I helped

Who will try 4gig stick ddr2??
For me this is enough and done trying

Ohh jeah, another thing

Got that cpu on 4GHz running stable

Attachments

• CAM00060~01.jpg
    CAM00060~01.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 14,699
  • CAM00061~01.jpg
    CAM00061~01.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 14,285
  • CAM00063~01.jpg
    CAM00063~01.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 14,251
Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo, :)
Here I am again after a few days and a lot of memory trying and failing
Now I have succeded to have 8GB on Asus P5KC

In the attached pictures You can see what memory I use and what is working

I tryed so far this

Kingston Hyper x Blue 1600 2x4GB ddr3-- not working
Kingston Hyper x Red 1600 1x4GB ddr3 - - not working
Kingstone 1333 2x2GB ddr3 - - not working
Transcend JM 1600 KLH - 4GB (sk) ddr3 -- Not working

This works for sure
Transcend 2GB 1600 JM 1600KLN-2G (H7) works for sure also as single and dual of two of this sticks

also

Transcend 4GB 1600 JM 1600KLN-4G (H8) this works alone and with the above two gig so that you have 6GIG

After I bought the 4GB transcend I went tomorrow to buy another one and thay did not have it becouse thay had just this one and could not order becouse it is end of life and can not be orderd
Thats why I was two days going from store to store and taking memory from them buying and asking for money back becouse it is not workin and today I bought this gskill red ripjaws which is workin alone and with my transcend...

So you can see the proof in the pictures below..

I am only wondering if it can support 16gb ddr2 lol

Attachments

• CAM00081.jpg
    CAM00081.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 13,979
  • CAM00084.jpg
    CAM00084.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 13,801
  • CAM00085.jpg
    CAM00085.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 13,675
  • CAM00086.jpg
    CAM00086.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 13,764
ASUS P5KC With 8GB DDR3 DRAM

Soooo, :)
Here I am again after a few days and a lot of memory trying and failing
Now I have succeded to have 8GB on Asus P5KC

In the attached pictures You can see what memory I use and what is working

I tryed so far this

Kingston Hyper x Blue 1600 2x4GB ddr3-- not working
Kingston Hyper x Red 1600 1x4GB ddr3 - - not working
Kingstone 1333 2x2GB ddr3 - - not working
Transcend JM 1600 KLH - 4GB (sk) ddr3 -- Not working

This works for sure
Transcend 2GB 1600 JM 1600KLN-2G (H7) works for sure also as single and dual of two of this sticks

also

Transcend 4GB 1600 JM 1600KLN-4G (H8) this works alone and with the above two gig so that you have 6GIG

After I bought the 4GB transcend I went tomorrow to buy another one and thay did not have it becouse thay had just this one and could not order becouse it is end of life and can not be orderd
Thats why I was two days going from store to store and taking memory from them buying and asking for money back becouse it is not workin and today I bought this gskill red ripjaws which is workin alone and with my transcend...

So you can see the proof in the pictures below..

I am only wondering if it can support 16gb ddr2 lol

Just installed 8GB using two sticks of 4GB Crucial Ballistic DDR3 PC-12800, BLS4G3D1609DS1S00, into this ASUS P5KC. Initially it didn't boot, but had to tweek the DRAM speed down slightly to just over 1200MHz for reliable operation with this 1333MHz spec'd motherboard. The slight reduction in memory speed could be due to the Xeon processor I am using at 3.6G.

Thanks for the help!

Hello,

I have the same P5KC motherboard and wanted to switch from 2x1Gb of DDR2 ram to 1x4 Gb DDR3 ram.

In order to do that, after seing your post I bought exactly the same (Transcend 4GB 1600 JM 1600KLN-4G (H8)) but after swapping rams and clearing the CMOS (you never know) the computer won't start, in fact it won't even show the BIOS ! Nothing....

When I put back the DDR2 everything returns to normal.

I tried that operation like 3 times so I doubt having made a manual error.

Any idea? Did you set any specific BIOS settings in order to boot with the DDR3?

My CPU is a Intel Core Duo E8400 @3.00GHz and everything in the bios is set to auto/default.

Thanks for your contribution, I hope mine (indicating this is doesn't seem like a 100% working situation) will help to.

Last edited:
Harry5,

See my response on 11/6/2014

I now have two P5KC motherboards running with two 4GB Crucial DDR3 PC-12800 that I bought from Amazon. The one motherboard was difficult to get running because of the Xeon quad processor (3.6GHz) I did have to tweek the DRAM frequency down a little. On the 2nd P5KC motherboard that I updated last month, I just went with the Q9550 quad upgrade running at the standard speed of 2.8GHz and everything in the BIOS set to auto and has been running fine with Windows 7 64 Bit.

If you are only using 1 stick of DDR3, then try it in the other socket.

Let me know what you find out.

Last edited:
Thanks for those prompt answers.

Yes I tried both socket with no luck.

On my side I can't even tweek the frequency since I can't access the bios.

I really think there is not guarantee. I'm going for a new motherboard. I would advise for others to do the same as this motherboard is clearly considered outdated by manufacturers.

I fully understand since I was going down the same path.

I totally agree with you that this is a very old motherboard by today's hardware standards. But I weighed the cost of not only the hardware but all the software installed on my machines since I have 4 systems using the P5KC for my family.

Upgrading the RAM to 8GB DDR3, the processor (quad, bought used on ebay), an SSD and USB 3.0 card for me was well worth the effort and really just plain fun to see how far this old system could go. My system now boots up Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate in under 20 seconds and can run Far Cry 4 on a high graphics setting.

I fully understand since I was going down the same path.

I totally agree with you that this is a very old motherboard by today's hardware standards. But I weighed the cost of not only the hardware but all the software installed on my machines since I have 4 systems using the P5KC for my family.

Upgrading the RAM to 8GB DDR3, the processor (quad, bought used on ebay), an SSD and USB 3.0 card for me was well worth the effort and really just plain fun to see how far this old system could go. My system now boots up Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate in under 20 seconds and can run Far Cry 4 on a high graphics setting.

My HTPC goes from power on to fully booted into Windows 8.1 in about 6 seconds. SATA 3 my friend. You need it. I wouldn't put an SSD on a SATA 1/SATA 2 interface, personally. Major bottleneck.

It's neat that you guys are getting your board to work with more RAM than it officially supports but it may be time to take old yeller' around back and take care of business. i5/i7 so massively outclasses C2Q that they're not even from the same planet. :)

Awesome thread though.

My HTPC goes from power on to fully booted into Windows 8.1 in about 6 seconds. SATA 3 my friend. You need it. I wouldn't put an SSD on a SATA 1/SATA 2 interface, personally. Major bottleneck.

It's neat that you guys are getting your board to work with more RAM than it officially supports but it may be time to take old yeller' around back and take care of business. i5/i7 so massively outclasses C2Q that they're not even from the same planet. :)

Awesome thread though.
Yeah I'm not much for keeping really old stuff around...but I still do. Sata 2 on an SSD though is no bottleneck for booting anyway...I have upgraded or built systems with Sata 2 and with Windows 7 and never been more than 7 sec's into windows(Old dual cores). As long as you tweak what loads and use the SSD as the first boot option its wicked fast. (This is the time for everything to load, not just the windows screen) These were not the fastest SSD's either. Its the biggest upgrade you can do, too old or new systems. You can also reuse it for the next build. :beer:

Also if its serving things up like Plex as an HTPC, your never booting the system anyway, its always on. The last thing I want is to be 300 miles away at a hotel and can't watch a movie because the PC is off...;)

Last edited:
is there any chance you can use ddr2 and ddr3 together on a p5kc as I brought 2 4gig 1866 sticks wrong sought lol and got 4gig ddr3 in now and also got 4 one gig ddr2 sticks

I have not tried it but I highly doubt using two different types of DRAM would work.

How did you tweak DRAM speed to 1200MHz? I have the exact same motherboard and I just installed 8GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 (2x4GB) and I'm having instabilities and blue screens od death. The only options I've got for tweaking manually dram are: 1335MHz, 1111MH, 1066MHz and others...

Back