• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project: Little Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nice setup you got there. your mini-itx setup got my gears turning and i ended up putting together a little overkill rig of my own.

i used a haf xb evo case..with one of the drives i got from you.
asus p8z77-i deluxe
3570k i already had and a gtx650 for a gpu..
16gb ram.. watercooled the cpu with parts i already had..monsoon series 2 res with a d5 on the back, black ice gtx 240 rad.

Thanks for the comments guys. I put a bit of time into research (with a lot of help from Jeremy) and making sure everything looks good, so I'm glad you think it does!

I have a UPS on the way for the computer.

nice setup you got there. your mini-itx setup got my gears turning and i ended up putting together a little overkill rig of my own.

i used a haf xb evo case..with one of the drives i got from you.
asus p8z77-i deluxe
3570k i already had and a gtx650 for a gpu..
16gb ram.. watercooled the cpu with parts i already had..monsoon series 2 res with a d5 on the back, black ice gtx 240 rad.
That is a lot more overkill compared to what I have, for sure. Should work great for you, even if you want to do a bit of gaming.

the only real new parts were the mobo, case and memory since i found that cheap. the rest i already had.

it started out as just getting the board and the case since that's all i really needed but then the memory popped up..like everything else it snow balled into a large project..

gonna get a kill-a-watt and see how much it pulls from the wall..

The UPS unit just arrived. Letting it charge now and I'll hook it up in a bit.

IMG_0337.jpg

Little note on cable management. Keep your audio interconnects and speaker cable away from the mains cables. If they have to cross then try to at 90 degree's. About two feet apart keeps the magnetic fields from interacting but its often impossible to avoid. I would channel the speaker cables away from the stands metal frame also. But I do take stuff to extremes :screwy: :D

I like the stand with TV bracket built in. My 50" covers the 92" projector screen... As I get tired I sink into the sofa and cant see a slither of projection on the bottom left.
Guess it be easiest to get some cushions to raise me up :)

Little note on cable management. Keep your audio interconnects and speaker cable away from the mains cables. If they have to cross then try to at 90 degree's. About two feet apart keeps the magnetic fields from interacting but its often impossible to avoid. I would channel the speaker cables away from the stands metal frame also. But I do take stuff to extremes :screwy: :D

I like the stand with TV bracket built in. My 50" covers the 92" projector screen... As I get tired I sink into the sofa and cant see a slither of projection on the bottom left.

crossing-marketing-streams.jpg

That is all.

I fixed the speaker and power line issue completely. I just run the mains and the audio signal through both the power and speaker cables!

Ingenious!

I appreciate the feedback, don't get me wrong. I'd like to think I have good hearing and that I can pick out very small things in sound. However, I can't tell the difference at all. I'm sure with the right equipment you could tell the mains lines are interfering with the audio. But if I can't tell the difference, I'm not going out of my way to make changes I won't hear.

I got the UPS hooked up and hid the cables. The unit is reporting 121w draw for the amplifier, HTPC, and TV. That is way lower than I was expecting. The amplifier only draws between 16 and 24 watts, according to the UPS (not sure if I believe it).

IMG_0347.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

It will be right. I got a metering monitor and was surprised how low the power draw was compared to the amps and dc conversion.

The maths peak was way over the reality.
I had to work it out to get a custom linear psu built.

My i7 running at 4100GHz only draws just under 30watts. 15watts under its thermal design overclocked. :)

Edit: I will just check what my led 50" TV draws and we can take an educated guess :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway thiddy your ups is right :)

Edit: it's a mad scientists lair not a show home... No thread jack on my butt ugly crazy mods :D (I mean my mods... No opinion on the looks of the mods here. Lol)

Last edited:
I accidentally bought a Wii U today. Now I can't fit any more devices on the stand. I'm actually one HDMI port short. The HDMI cables came in and I got all the devices hooked up with sane-length cables.

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

Dang thid, you're a super gamer lol. Any way to use that new Wii-Mote on a PC? Now that'd be cool stuff!

Dang thid, you're a super gamer lol. Any way to use that new Wii-Mote on a PC? Now that'd be cool stuff!

I know you can use the Wii Remote (non-tablet) with a PC through Bluetooth.
The new tablet one I'm not sure about.

Couch and chair arrived a few days ago! Been waiting quite a long time for these and it was worth it.

IMG_0814-Edit.jpg

Rear speaker setup.
IMG_0819-Edit.jpg

Back