• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project: Little Overkill

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
2023-10-13 update: As of a few weeks ago, this build has been disassembled. Over the past year or so, I've been using it less and less, especially since I got a new laptop. Since the last post was almost 3 years ago, I don't want to post a status update which will bump the thread.

--------------

This is a project that I've been wanting to do for a long time, but I've been putting off. I've had this idea of using a small PC hooked to a TV for watching movies/shows and playing games, but didn't fully flesh out the idea. Recently, I purchased a couch and recliner for the living room, and decided this was the time to get this project going.

Thus begins Project Little Overkill.

Components:

LG 47LB6300 47-Inch TV
2x wireless Xbox 360 controllers with charging base
Wireless base for the controllers

Silverstone ML06B
Intel I3-4130T 1150 socket processor
Gigabyte Mini ITX GA-B85N
GSkill Ares 8gb DDR3
Silverstone ST30SF 300w
Crucial M500 120gb mSATA SSD

This will be primarily used for watching movies and shows, but I'll also be using this for emulation so my roommate/guests can play games.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting a lot from this case given the price, but it is well designed. Since it doesn't take full size ATX power supplies, I was hesitant to purchase this one, but Austin (atminside) forced my hand; what a jerk. It has space for a 120mm fan up top and two 80mm on the side, which is a lot of airflow for something this low power. The case has a good heft to it and is solidly built.
IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

----------------

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0194.jpg

----------------

I can't express how small this board is. I've always built ATX/EATX systems, so it is absolutely tiny.
attachment.php

IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0166.jpg

----------------

The heatsink with that processor is also tiny. The ports on the back are taller than it.
IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

They include a filter, which I initially thought screwed in with the fan, which would be a pain in the butt to clean. I quickly realized that it is magnetic and it sticks to the lid of the case. Small features like this impress me. Never would have thought to install a filter like that.
IMG_0182.jpg

Last edited:
you could also try squeezing in asingle slot 750ti in there for extra performance. ;)
That is a good idea, but the case has half height PCI slots. I could put it in the back and run a cable, but I'd lose a bit of cooling.

Almost forgot that I'm probably going to run a receiver for this setup, but I'm not really sure where to start.

For the receiver, I mean an amplifier for the speakers I'll eventually get. It also serves to be the device selector.

i seeeee, this makes thing a tiny bit harder, i didn`t read any reviews on intel graphics but i`m fairly sure it`s worse than a lo-pro gts640, so there`s that option also.

Any games that it will run probably wouldn't be assisted by a graphics card, so I'm not worried about it. If it turns out not to work well, I'll drop one in.

My main system will be sitting right next to this, if I want to do heavy lifting.

TV arrived today, but it was damaged. The TV itself was functional, but I was worried that it was pressing into the screen, making it easier to damage when it was moved. :(

If it was purely cosmetic damage, I wouldn't have cared. The TV itself is really nice, though. Played with it a bit before I noticed the damage.

7qRfj4M.jpg

Last edited:
HTPC is together and installing Windows. This is the whole system:

IMG_0217.jpg

Waiting on the replacement TV to arrive today.

I hooked up the Kill-A-Watt to get a general idea of how much this is pulling. 24.3 watts sitting idle in XBMC and I haven't seen it go over 26 watts while watching a Blu-ray. That is incredible.

Back