• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*HELP* need help overclocking my processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xeriian

Registered
Hello, I am wondering if it is possible to overclock my processor with the board that I have. I am running stock temps and speeds @ 3.50GHz. Listed below are my specs. If I can get some help with this that would be great and for a heads up I've been seeing that my board cant handle overclocking which kinda sucks because it has settings for it. would like to get to at least 4.0GHz if possible

ASRock 970 Pro 3 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | AMD FX-8320 3.5 GHz | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Zotac Nvidia GTX 550Ti 1GB | 8GB DDR3 | CORSAIR GS 700 PSU

Last edited:
That board can *barely* handle that CPU stock, and you wanna overclock it? Forget it. Get a board with at least 8 phase power and a decent VRM heatsink.

Can u recommend a good board for my cpu that can overclocking properly or fairly good for a decent price?

Can u recommend a good board for my cpu that can overclocking properly or fairly good for a decent price?

All depends on how far you want to push and what you need out of the motherboard. What would you consider a decent price?

I would say the highest id go is $150.00 max maybe a little more depending on if it will give me the most out of my processor. But if there is one for a lower price that is good that will work that would be great. I don't want to push it to hard but just to about 4.0GHz but I seen something not to long ago that my processor can reach I think it was 4.5GHz to 5.8GHz depending on what you had.

Also the reason for me wanting to overclock is because I am wanting to play the high end games such as watchdogs and the division but I want to play it on high everything. My Graphics card I will be replacing with a 660ti 2gb as a bundle with watch dogs

I know my graphics card is not the best but does pretty decent on some games. But I am wanting the ones as I described and better in future. Is the 660 ti 2gb good enough? Please if you could find a good price for one or better that would be great. sorry for so many questions

660ti 2gb that card is not likley to do this >> but I want to play it on high everything.

You would likely do better to initially to forget a better board for more overclock but to go with at least a 760GTX or similar. And playing all on high will depend also on what resolution monitor you are going to use.
RGone...

As much as I'd like the 760 I can't afford it and I don't think my 3.50ghz processor can play these games. Only reason why I'm getting a 660ti is for the price bundle comes with watch dogs free worth purchase of graphics card

Last edited:
So I was guessing correct me if I'm wrong but guessing I could overclock my processor to 4.0GHz or more and upgrading to the GTX 660ti 2 GB in order to play watch dogs and the division.

As much as I'd like the 760 I can't afford it and I don't think my 3.50ghz processor can play these games. Only reason why I'm getting a 660ti is for the price bundle comes with watch dogs free worth purchase of graphics card

Processor is much less important than GPU for gaming. 3.5Ghz CPU + GTX 760 is faster than 4Ghz CPU + Gtx 660.

You won't get far on a 660. It's an entry level "real" card. Get at least a 760. Ideally a 770 or R9 280X if you want really good performance.

Seriously buy that motherboard. For just over $100 you won't find a better deal and you can push it to 4.5Ghz + on that board no problem if you get the proper cooling.

With FX cpus, you want to overclock as high as possible to get the most performance out of them, so try to aim for 4.5Ghz and get a better CPU cooler like an H100i.

Again, a 660 is not going to get you watch dogs on high/ultra settings. It'll run, but it'll be more of an Xbox 360 type of experience. Don't expect to be able to run good texture filtering or antialiasing. Don't expect a super high framerate.

Ideally, M5A99FX, R9 280X (or if you like Nvidia better, GTX 770), H100i (assuming it fits your case) is what I'd suggest you buy.

Okay well I guess that makes more sense than what I was thinking. Let me see what I can find on the 770 price wise and that mobo.

Xeriian, the M5A99X Evo is a really good board, you should be able to get around 4.5 with the proper cooling. The GTX 760 is also a really good graphics card it should allow you to play most games at high settings with 1080p resolutions.

Last edited:
Get a cheaper GTX 760. I've seen them for $200-230 on sale. No need to get a 'superclocked' card. You can overclock the card yourself.

Did you buy that M5A99FX on sale? You really should.

Back