• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*HELP* need help overclocking my processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright. so I have my Sapphire 270x installed with drivers. I don't want to overclock it just stock speed for now. I just want to be able to overclock my processor to at leas 4.0 if I can get help on that I know it was said that my board cant really do much on OC but can we try?

Sure YOU can try anything I guess that the most possible outcome is n0t that you get killed.

You need to establish a baseline of where the cpu is NOW for volts and temps. The outline below tells how to do that and also what we need to see as the speed goes up.

Makes answering about overclocking an AMD cpu easier.

In bios disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, TurboCore (if there), Disable APM and in windows power manager set to "performance mode". Then do as below.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU Core Temps; which are n0w called Package Temps, fully visible.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

How to actually attach images to the forum and not use a link to some outside location where image is stored. Store the image within the forum.
attachment.php

Real thread about the same mobo and cpu as yours...

This thread with the last Reponse May 23 is about as up to date as you can get about the 970 Pro R2.0 board. Do not get confused by some in the thread with the EXT3 boards since that is not the same board. Pay attention to those that barely got 3.7Ghz stable and some that ran a week or two then developed issues. There is one "handy" user in there that cut and attached his own heat sink to the VRMs and put a fan on it as most of us do when overclocking FX processors, NO matter which mobo we use, so the cpu socket temps stay down. Good thread. Many understood the boards limitations and some did not fare so well with even a mild overclock. There you can see why we don't really suggest even a mild overclock because the board has no LLC and the Vcore droops to h*ll and back and and the cpu throttles due to the VRMs running so hot with no heatsinks.

Click on SEE FULL CONTENT in the first post to see the Complete thread.
Last response: May 23, 2014 8:25 AM in CPUs

Just want to bring it to your attention but the core speed on the CPU tabs jumped to I snipped a pic of it twice to show you. What would be the reason and is this a concern for OC or at all?

CPU.PNG

CPU2.PNG

SPD.PNG

Memory.PNG

HW.PNG

It's because you have the "green" power saving features still enabled. Perfectly normal. When overclocking these are usually disabled so that it doesn't initiate any instability into the hardware.

Back