• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can You Install Win 7 From Safe Mode/Command Prompt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have a HI Grade M760S laptop bought off ebay as spares and repair the CD-RW drive keeps flashing like it's reading even when there's nothing in it so I fully removed it because the monitor wouldn't power up for some reason. The other issue is the owner has put a password in the BIOS and I can't figure out how to clear it and with this issue I cannot get in to change the boot options to boot to my Lite On USB drive.

There is no F Key either that gives me the option to boot to the USB so is it possible to use Safe Mode Command prompt to boot to the USB, issue I can think of with this is the drive letter path for the USB drive.

As far as I know you can't get past the BIOS password without the password.
That's a lock on the hardware level.

You have a 100% useless laptop.

You will never be able to remove the password.
There are 2 options. Contact the seller and ask, if he does not know, then i would report him for selling stolen items.

The laptop is good for one or 2 things, paper weight, and or spares.

You have a 100% useless laptop.

You will never be able to remove the password.
There are 2 options. Contact the seller and ask, if he does not know, then i would report him for selling stolen items.

The laptop is good for one or 2 things, paper weight, and or spares.

Try: these built-in backdoor passwords

BIOS manufactures know this stuff happens ;)

Well that didnt work now locked out perm isnt there a CMOS battery that I could take out to clear stuff like this or wont that clear the hardware chip security.

UPDATE: It seems F1 gives me the boot option now installing Win 7 off the USB drive

There is a CMOS battery somewhere.
Like most mobo's, they have one.

Just harder to get too because it's a laptop.

Did you ask the seller for the password?

There is a CMOS battery somewhere.
Like most mobo's, they have one.

Just harder to get too because it's a laptop.

Did you ask the seller for the password?

I emailed the seller and he said he didn't put it on reckons his son did it and just a case of waiting to see if he knows it, I did find what I think maybe it but it's got to wires to a pin plug (small 4 pin) to what seems to be a coin in black plastic. I did remove it and waited 5mins but it didn't clear it so maybe leave it for a day or so, another thing is the wireless card was also buggered so I replaced that with another from some spare laptop parts I also added another 1GB chip to give it 2GB RAM issue is it only gives me 888mb usable I think in BIOS it's set to 512mb+ for shared GPU memory.

I emailed the seller and he said he didn't put it on reckons his son did it and just a case of waiting to see if he knows it, I did find what I think maybe it but it's got to wires to a pin plug (small 4 pin) to what seems to be a coin in black plastic. I did remove it and waited 5mins but it didn't clear it so maybe leave it for a day or so, another thing is the wireless card was also buggered so I replaced that with another from some spare laptop parts I also added another 1GB chip to give it 2GB RAM issue is it only gives me 888mb usable I think in BIOS it's set to 512mb+ for shared GPU memory.

Yeah, give it a day or so.

See if there is a PWD_RESET pin too. I doubt it though, but it's worth a peek.

Well good news is taken out the coin battery for 48hrs solved the password issue and I can get into the BIOS the graphics is now sharing 128mb of system memory but Windows is reporting the 2GB but saying only 888mb it still available ???

I am also wondering since it's shut and old system should I maybe install the 32bit version instead of the 64bit? I have turned off all the eye candy and switched it to whats best for performance and it's still slow the hard drive is a 160GB 5,400rpm WD drive but has 138GB free and it's fully defragged

Well good news is taken out the coin battery for 48hrs solved the password issue and I can get into the BIOS the graphics is now sharing 128mb of system memory but Windows is reporting the 2GB but saying only 888mb it still available ???

I am also wondering since it's shut and old system should I maybe install the 32bit version instead of the 64bit? I have turned off all the eye candy and switched it to whats best for performance and it's still slow the hard drive is a 160GB 5,400rpm WD drive but has 138GB free and it's fully defragged

Under 4Gb, might as well run 32Bit.

Hardware will use up some RAM too, that's my guess as to only 888Mb of RAM left.

Have you run Memtest86+? Sounds like 1 stick is dead (assuming 2x1GB).

Have you run Memtest86+? Sounds like 1 stick is dead (assuming 2x1GB).

No not yet but it sees it in BIOS and Windows reports it at 2GB but says (888mb free) ???? I am going to switch to 32bit Windows

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    404.4 KB · Views: 48
No not yet but it sees it in BIOS and Windows reports it at 2GB but says (888mb free) ???? I am going to switch to 32bit Windows

No, it says 888MB USABLE. That sounds like 128MB are being taken by the iGPU one stick of ram functioning improperly.

Run Memtest before reinstalling, 99% sure 32-bit will say the exact same thing.

No, it says 888MB USABLE. That sounds like 128MB are being taken by the iGPU one stick of ram functioning improperly.

Run Memtest before reinstalling, 99% sure 32-bit will say the exact same thing.

Ok will do later on bud thanks could be the reason it's very slow I know its very old but it should run better than it is

Ok will do later on bud thanks could be the reason it's very slow I know its very old but it should run better than it is

Yes, because it would take the RAM out of dual channel if one isn't functioning properly.
And start paging out to the HDD since you would only have 1GB of RAM.
(Again, this is assuming it is a 2x1GB setup)

Really odd I just went a head and installed Win 7 32bit and it now sees the 2GB well 64bit did but the 32bit installation says I have 1.87GB usable???

Really odd I just went a head and installed Win 7 32bit and it now sees the 2GB well 64bit did but the 32bit installation says I have 1.87GB usable???

It's an improvement. :shrug:

Run memtest like ATM mentioned for sure.
Probably hardware reserve for the GPU and other hardware.

Back