• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus warranty support: Not good, not good at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What kind of defeatist attitude is that? I could buy a board from a company that doesn't screw over their customers. Gigabyte has come a long way. I bought Asus for the longest time, but switched with my desktop build and am not looking back.

+1.
I don't like my Asus board one bit, but it works.

I've also had less driver/software issues with my Gigabyte equipment.

I've sworn Asus off for a long time now, precisely for reasons like this thread.

Here's another great example of Asus' lack of integrity:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1764403

MSI & Gigabyte for me, now. At least their products don't catch fire when they die. (Not saying all Asus products do)

I've had to RMA with all 3 companies. Gigabyte is the best to deal with, followed very closely by MSI (GB wins because of advanced RMA) and Asus is miles behind even though they also offer advanced RMA. CS agents don't know WTF is going on.

Last edited:
What's odd to me, after seeing many Asus RMA threads in the past, is that Asus seems to have that "Glowing Customer Service" for consumers who bought one of their high-end ROG boards, but not their mainstream boards. I always hoped and assumed it was coincidence or just me not having seen a large enough sample size, but this thread doesn't help...

Personally, I've only had an issue with one of their ROG boards (Maximus V Gene), and the RMA service was great.

Anyways, I hope you get this issue worked out. It looks like an obvious attempt to rip you off to me.

I've never had a single issue with any Asus board with the exception of an unstable ch5

The driver support (in comparison to Gigabyte) is absolute crap.

Both the P8Z77-V LK and MVI Hero that I have the most convoluted driver install setup that I've ever seen.
Asus makes their own setup file, which just activates the setup file of the manufacturer of the component, but then it asks you for permission every time you boot because the installer wasn't signed.
Their site also has the slowest driver downloads I've ever experienced (this is over a 3 month span).

Its worth noting that both my Asus boards were purchased used for extremely low prices. I would never buy them new, especially with all the recent customer service complaints.

With the recent improvements in ASRock and Gigabyte its started hitting Asus hard. And it shows.

I am subbed for this one.

I have hear countless identical episodes. 99% of the time its a bent pin in the CPU socket.

I have done 3x RMA in my lifetime when it comes to pc's.

1st time was an AsRock Z77 WS board. Took 4 weeks, but they did replace it in the end.
2nd time Sapphie 7970 Vapor-X 6Gb. Less than 2 days after they got the card, i had a new one one the way, total turn over time less than 2 weeks.
3rd time. Gigabyte motherboard, they found no damage, and offered me full refund.

Now, when it comes to Asus, i would take pictures, with date, and newpaper in the pictures, The cpu socket being the focus of my pictures.

Some how Asus think they can get away with this over and over and over, problem is, the stories make it online. Case in point, now stories are getting online before the RMA is even complete.

I like Asus, i have 2x ROG boards, and my old X58 was a killer board.

I love the Bios, i hate MSI, im ok with Asrock, and i im ok wiith Gigabyte.
But i dont like Asrock for my main rig anymore. Shame. But if Asus keeps up this RMA BS, they will one day find that screwing over loyal customers, is like shooting your self in the foot. Its gonna hurt them.

I'd seriously post this up on Asus's own forum. Pictures and story! Heck, i'd even sue them. Is it possible to sue some body in the USA for damaging their property?

Glowing Customer service would cost Asus a lot of money to implement and upkeep. They're all about the bottom line over there. Just buy their boards. They make a good board. If it explodes just buy a new one.

This kind of defeats the purpose of a warranty, doesn't it?

So, I logged in to their website and checked the status of my RMA, and found this.
10321632_10152867705994552_649026865033005777_o.jpg

Um. Customer Induced Damage?? Wait, you mean...FIRE induced damage? Yeah. That's not my fault. Not whatsoever.

It looks like they've already made up their mind, so I went to escalate the matter. Their website was pretty awful, and the issue escalation complaint form I was taken to got me nowhere, as the 'submit' button did absolutely nothing, even though all the fields were filled out...so I posted to their forum

http://vip.asus.com/FORUM/view.aspx...nguage=en-us&board_id=1&model=P8P67 (REV 3.1)

And, in the likely event that my post gets deleted, here's a screenshot, though it's really not any new information here.
hp7Qi34.png

I'm just concerned that my email will be dismissed by this 'Dorothy' and not actually addressed. Or that she is simply powerless to the process, and unable to help me, no matter how willing she may be.

I think I should also just go get another motherboard, because even if I do get Asus to cave and give me a new motherboard...it'll take several months.

Last edited:
Lucifer ther are 2 things I would consider doing in your CURRENT situation.

1. Attempt to go above Dorothy. Many times if you get a bad service rep they wont help you when someone else might. Try and talk to a service manager or tech support manager. Maybe they can help. I had to do this with SONY about 10 years ago. I was actually called by their North American Director to resolve the issue. I was very upset it came to that, but in the end he made it right...which is all I was asking for.

2. If/When your RMA does come in, sell it as a NEW IN BOX before you even open it.(Assuming they send you a new one, most companies do) Pick yourself up a nice new ASRock, Giga or any other brand so you wont have to deal with them in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Wow this is really bad, I'm with the other guys they don't even look like the same boards. I'm glad to hear that you are sticking to your guns. If they keep getting away with things like this nothing will ever change. All I have are Asus boards, I sure hope they continue to work.

Go get them, best of luck!

Lucifer ther are 2 things I would consider doing in your CURRENT situation.

1. Attempt to go above Dorothy. Many times if you get a bad service rep they wont help you when someone else might. Try and talk to a service manager or tech support manager. Maybe they can help. I had to do this with SONY about 10 years ago. I was actually called by their North American Director to resolve the issue. I was very upset it came to that, but in the end he made it right...which is all I was asking for.

2. If/When your RMA does come in, sell it as a NEW IN BOX before you even open it.(Assuming they send you a new one, most companies do) Pick yourself up a nice new ASRock, Giga or any other brand so you wont have to deal with them in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

Both are good ideas. Now that I've attempted to escalate electronically, I'm going to wait until Tuesday to get a response (that seems reasonable, right?). Not sure where to call, but I'll start with the regular customer service number and just stay on the phone until I'm speaking to someone that can do something for me.

As for 2...that's an excellent idea, I was already planning to get another motherboard because I'm certain this ordeal will take an eternity. But "sell it, don't even open it" is great advice that I'm going to follow.

Had similar issues with them for RMA with their RoG line as well, it's just a part of ASUS that has stayed the same for years.

From what I've seen on forums, MSI is just as bad as ASUS, whereas Gigabyte is better known for quality cs/RMA.

Great, I have an Asus ROG laptop as well...guess I know that when it catches fire, I should just toss it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You aren't the only one, I still have Best Buy warranty on mine in case of anything serious. But as its my only lappy I sure hope not.

I'd seriously post this up on Asus's own forum. Pictures and story! Heck, i'd even sue them. Is it possible to sue some body in the USA for damaging their property?

If it's possible to sue anybody for anything, you can do it in the USA. ASUS is based in Taiwan so a lawsuit would be awkward and you'd never win, because ASUS would send 8 high priced super-lawyers and you'd have 1 alcoholic depressed lawyer with a ripped jacket. :bday:

Also, why sue over a $60-$400 (avg 150) product like a motherboard? It'll cost you more to sue than buy a new motherboard. And if you sue, you'll lose. So why bother? It's just "the man" stepping on the little guy once again. It happens every day. We are fools to think that we, with our twigs and stones, can bring down the 1000 foot giants who tread on us.

If you WERE to sue them it would be more on grounds of fraudulent practices I would think, not destruction of property... They did not come to your home and tear things up did they? Perhaps a hitman they hired?

LOL, I doubt a lawsuit is in my future. Though, I won't get caught saying "I'm not going to" because I would hate for that to be counted as some kind of written promise to be legally binding in a court of law ;)

It's all about the path of least resistance. I'm currently engrossed in an expensive central air project in my house, so once that is settled I'm going to buy another motherboard (probably gigabyte) for about $100 to get my computer up and running again. I'd LOVE to do a full upgrade but just can't at the moment. My current build is still good for about another year anyway.

So, I'm going to buy another board, while I fight this stupid RMA issue, because I don't expect Anus to come through for me. If they do, it'll be SO long that I may as well build a new system.

Lucifer if I may add, I learned a technique when I was in a previous occupation, when trying to bypass people to get to the top of the food chain. Hit them with a velvet hammer, be persistent but nice and don't make threats, most people will empathize with you and be more willing to help you out. You can also see if you can find names and numbers of the higher ups and call them directly. If you get in touch with the right person they may be a lot more helpful.

but then it asks you for permission every time you boot because the installer wasn't signed.

Sounds like it may be that annoying Windows feature that browsers use, which require you to right click every downloaded file and selecting "Unblock".
(This is for preventing automated execution of files that "came from another computer", which just means downloaded from the WAN.)

It's a Microsoft feature, at least since XP SP3.

And Windows may still nag, even when digitally signed properly!

Last edited:
Sounds like it may be that annoying Windows feature that browsers use, which require you to right click every downloaded file and selecting "Unblock".
(This is for preventing automated execution of files that "came from another computer", which just means downloaded from the WAN.)

It's a Microsoft feature, at least since XP SP3.

Then why do other motherboard drivers (Read: Gigabyte, MSI, ASRock) not do that?

Back