• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus warranty support: Not good, not good at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like it may be that annoying Windows feature that browsers use, which require you to right click every downloaded file and selecting "Unblock".
(This is for preventing automated execution of files that "came from another computer", which just means downloaded from the WAN.)

It's a Microsoft feature, at least since XP SP3.

And Windows may still nag, even when digitally signed properly!

Yes, but only for higher privileges like installing into Program Files, which is locked down by default

Program Files isn't locked down though, that's why things can install there...

By "Locked Down" I meant Admin permission is req'd for writes ;)
Which is why signed programs still need to ask if you want to run it. They need to be granted permission.

Window is kinda weird like that.

Lol, disable UAC. ;)

Is this an Asus customer service problem though (thread topic?)

I'd be running XP if I wanted to turn off UAC ;)

Is this an Asus customer service problem though?

It's about their drivers. Close enough? :shrug:
No more thread jack from me

The particularly damning part of this whole operation is that having read the reports of Asus acting like unmentionableThings, I had lucifer here take lots of pictures just in case Asus started acting like punks. It's unfortunate that I was right, but at least he's prepared.

As to the concept of not worrying about whether a company honors their warranty or not, I don't think I can describe my feelings on the subject without getting banned.
Suffice to say that if someone says they'll do something and doesn't do it, I get pissed.

First thing I do. Who.the he'll.wants.that thing popping up? Anywayz for another thread. This about Asus ripping people off ... So curious to see.the outcome of.this...

By "Locked Down" I meant Admin permission is req'd for writes ;)
Which is why signed programs still need to ask if you want to run it. They need to be granted permission.

Window is kinda weird like that.

Programs needing admin access and drivers being signed are two totally different things.

This incident would not be the first to appear to demonstrate a company actively capping customer service activity, particularly setting up a return quota and informing CS not to exceed some predetermined number of RMAs. I've heard of the practice but seriously doubt that any company would willingly admit that it exists. I'm not much of a conspiracy theorist.

Both customer service and RMAs are expensive as we all know. But I don't think any company that would behave that way considers that publishing "we have a 1.91% return/failure rate" achieved by refusing RMAs vs. the same company having to endure "we have a forum 98% WTF rating" is going to have a top down decree regarding return rejections. I'd venture a guess, worth about two specks of dust on today's market, that at some point the CS reps and their immediate supervisors are poorly trained or think they are observing some unwritten cost center edict.

Either way, I do know that literally every place I've been employed has had an attitude and decree that customers can return any unaltered product for full credit (you'd have to understand the industry to know that the 'unaltered' is quite meaningful and widely accepted). The only questions asked regard any safety hazard issues that need to be known plus some simple paperwork questions: order number, date, etc. And the companies all have very satisfied, long term relationships with their customers.

It's really too easy to get it right.

First thing I do. Who.the he'll.wants.that thing popping up? Anywayz for another thread. This about Asus ripping people off ... So curious to see.the outcome of.this...

Same. I've seen this type of thing pop up a lot, never really stuck through to see what Asus does when pressed about it. Now I'm interested enough to follow it.

well i read a few things about asus doing this, the one company that shocked me but after thinking about it not really. Was Abit, this type of "o the cpu socket is damaged" or "o look at this damage to the side of the motherboard" cause someone dropped it. just to deny the RMA so they wouldnt have to pay out of pocket for it cause Abit was closing its doors, it wasnt like they cared. man some of the board that were prestine before getting to Abit RMA, made you go WTF! you rma a board that looks brand new but a dimm slot doesnt work. they send you a pic of the motherboard looking like some one hit one for the corners with a hammer to make is break.

i didnt have to RMA, but it was like pulling teeth with Asus to find a HSF for the n4l-vm dh board, using a socket M core 2 duo mobile chip. got the board from newegg as a open box but missing the cooler? one you cant just buy but can only get with the board. not to mention if you rma with newegg they want all the stuff back... after 3 days with asus tech support and $40 later, i got the cooler. think the RIIG might be my last board with them....

Total side step? Do you own an LG G2 or at the least an Android?

The text above looks like me when using my G2, i keep hitting full stop instead of space.

Just posting mobile. The period (what you are calling 'full stop') is next to the space bar on my touch keyboard (HTC ONE).

Asus seems to have that "Glowing Customer Service" for consumers who bought one of their high-end ROG boards, but not their mainstream boards. I always hoped and assumed it was coincidence or just me not having seen a large enough sample size, but this thread doesn't help...

Personally, I've only had an issue with one of their ROG boards (Maximus V Gene), and the RMA service was great.

I was gonna mention that. I had a issue with my board (I'm a idiot) and they were very quick to offer to send me a new board with a label so I could send mine back.

just so everyone knows. my experience with moving to management is the same as the knuckleheads they have answering the phones. I told them to laugh all they wanted at my ranting. I was trying to get a replacement for a board that was under recall (original p67 pro board) and they didnt even know there was a recall. took me 3 months to get replacement.
and havent bought an asus product since.

I have emailed a link to this thread to the people we work with at ASUS. Hopefully they will either respond or at the very least have someone at HQ look into this.

That was a quick response; they're having someone look into this. Will update when I hear anything.

Should have them look into how ASUS went from an F to an A rating on BBB over the course of a few months with no change in complaints... Also why even though they have an A the BBB warning on the front of the page from their review last year showed no change in their poor practice.

Back