• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus warranty support: Not good, not good at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I did not have that feeling until tonight. I got a e-mail from Asus support, that turned out to be a BILL

01-RMA Number USPC511273 0.00 1 0.00
10-RC003 0.00 1 0.00
04-Shipping Ground Shipping Ground 10.00 1 10.001
Motherboard Damage Non-Repairable Replacement Unit - burnt - not repairable
150.00 1 150.00
Total $160.00
Amount Paid -0.00
Amount Due
$160.00 USD.

I am not sure if this constitutes as your fault even though quite frankly you were pushing it hard, as advertised, its for "Overclocking". I would though have recommended that you took pictures of your MB, including the CPU pins because I believe AMD is nortorious of bending pins me thinks to stop a RMA in its tracks, only to be charge a "replacement" fee which isn't too far from a new retail price.

I only have a X58 MB from them I have to RMA and it aches me just thinking about it with the possibility I might have to go through. Other than that, I accidently scratched my right ASUS 24" surround screen last week while moving a GPU out of my 2nd PC I'm using now and setup an RMA. They came back after talking to a superviser via "Live Chat" and wanted to charge me $150+ for a "repair" (Most likely a refurbished monitor) while I can find one at the egg for $179.99 brand new with a 3 year "warranty". lol

On a side note, I had a nasty EVGA MB blowout. It took out a EVGA GPU and a Corsair Link Mini. Luckily the CPU and Ram survived thank goodness for the sake of waiting for RMAs. Haven't been with my main rig since End September of last year. Blowouts happened in October. EVGA, no questions asked believed me, not to mention I had documented the whole ordeal on their forums, replaced my MB and GPU and matched my other GPU with the newer GPU. Went from GTX 480s to 760s. My 2nd MB is working just fine and my Win 8.1 just came in so I can finally get to installing on the M.2 boot drive. (Gasp)

Point was, this is how different for example EVGA is to ASUS. ASUS would have either bent my pins for added measure OR just said, SORRY, its your fault and going to cost you $350+ to "repair or replace". My choices between companies really relies on what kind of CS they have. If they have some of the best CS, you pretty much have me on board. Their components can't be too boring either. They need some of the bells and whistles the others have. Nonetheless, that's my process.

If I may add my 2c Maddmutt, The likely reason for your ASUS board dying prematurely would probably be the combinations of issues you listed in the posts from above.

1. Your CPU became convex either from overtightening or from a concave HS/Block. ( I would recommend checking your block and/or CPU heatsinks you've used on the 8350 to ensure it doesn't happen again when you replace this rig.) - also what water block are you using? My memory's not so good anymore. :)

2. A +10C increase in CPU temp over a one week period should have been a big red flag that something was wrong. (Possibly caused by step 1.) This was disregarded.

3. You began benching and pushing well above the recommended manufacturer limits. (1.7v) While it's not uncommon for us to push beyond the limits we all understand and accept the fact that we are voiding the warranties on our rigs when we do this. It's simply the nature of the beast. Every race car that runs in the red long enough will give out.

So are you disappointed that ASUS wont send you a free replacement? It sort of sounds that way. Did you happen to take any pics before you sent it in? I know it was suggested to do so. Also, were there actual signs of physical damage i.e. burns or popped MOSFETs?

If I may add my 2c Maddmutt, The likely reason for your ASUS board dying prematurely would probably be the combinations of issues you listed in the posts from above.

1. Your CPU became convex either from overtightening or from a concave HS/Block. ( I would recommend checking your block and/or CPU heatsinks you've used on the 8350 to ensure it doesn't happen again when you replace this rig.) - also what water block are you using? My memory's not so good anymore. :)

2. A +10C increase in CPU temp over a one week period should have been a big red flag that something was wrong. (Possibly caused by step 1.) This was disregarded.

3. You began benching and pushing well above the recommended manufacturer limits. (1.7v) While it's not uncommon for us to push beyond the limits we all understand and accept the fact that we are voiding the warranties on our rigs when we do this. It's simply the nature of the beast. Every race car that runs in the red long enough will give out.

This was my FX-8320 in the Gigabyte Motherboard, that I had to set at 1.7v+ to hit 5GHz+.
The new FX-8350 in the Asus motherboard, AFAIK had not been over 1.52x

So are you disappointed that ASUS wont send you a free replacement? It sort of sounds that way. Did you happen to take any pics before you sent it in? I know it was suggested to do so. Also, were there actual signs of physical damage i.e. burns or popped MOSFETs?

I'm sorry I didnot get to finish my post earlier, the wife needed to go to town.

I didn't want a replacement, I wanted mine fixed. What is the use in advertising a motherboard with a 5 year warranty, when your not going to honor it. I took pic's of both the front and back of the motherboard. The only physical damage, was a burned Mosfet.
From ASUS's website, THE advertising for the Sabertooth MB Quote"TUF Components [Alloy Choke, Cap. & MOSFET; Certified by Military-standard] - Certified for Tough Duty".
It must not be that TOUGH, if there not going to repair it , when it breaks.

If you look a part 6.Component Burned. Picture 50 and 52 look like my situation,"MY COMPONENT EVEN HAD A HEAT SINK COVERING IT". I REGISTERED IT O8/26/2014, so I guess, 3 month of use, now put's it out of warranty.

From ATMINSIDE's link:
"Component Burned"

As in, burned components are not covered by the warranty.

ASUS warranties are truly the worst in the business.

unfortunately, that's what is going to happen, when a VRM goes bad.

MaddMutt, per my link, if you look at "component burned" it is an accepted repair and is free in-warranty.

Send them that link and say you're not paying because of that and want your board fixed anyway.

Good eye ATM.

I basically would fall under that category if my board was ASUS but it was EVGA and was taken care of no problem. They were very polite and understood my situation.

15879163112_67400157f2_o.jpg

Here is a new list that I received from Asus. Hummmmm.....LET ME SEE.

WE CAN'T VERIFY WHEN WE PRODUCED THE MB.
We can see that it has only been registered on Asus (1) one time. AND
We will not accept any other form of paper, except the kind that is used to print US money on.

For warranty verification: Make sure the following is visible on the proof of purchase: company logo, date of purchase, purchase price, serial number and/or model number of the ASUS product.
Unacceptable forms of proof of purchase include, but is not limited to: bank statements, screen shots, forwarded e-mails, and copy & pasted e-mails. We also do not accept files attached as DOC, TXT, or RTF.

Is there any other way, that you wish from me, to show that I DID NOT PURCHASE YOUR PRODUCT?????

edit: also just got this from Asus Tech Support : Please be advised that as per our warranty terms, any physical damage would void warranty, and in this case, it is unrepairable. As such, a replacement is being offered.

MY REPLY : Quote"Any physical damage would void warranty, and in this case, it is unrepairable. As such, replacement is being offered".Quote

You are offering me a REFURBISHED MB for $160.00 USD.

http://support.asus.com/repair.aspx?no=568&Slanguage=en

If you look at part 6.Component Burned. Picture 50 and 52 has burnt components which look very similar to my motherboard and at top it says "Still under Warranty" PRICE = FREE BUT ,"MY COMPONENT EVEN HAD A HEAT SINK COVERING IT". I REGISTERED IT O8/26/2014, so I guess, 3 month of use, now put's it out of warranty.

Last edited:
Here was my last post with ASUS :
Please be advised advised that as per our warranty terms, any physical damage would void warranty.
If YOU look at it ,with YOUR EYES CLOSED.
Every time a computer Enthusiast removes his motherboard, switch's his RAM, plugs/unplugs Hard Drives, installs/uninstalls a CPU cooler, ect, ect, ect.
He or She is causing some type of physical damage.

Thank You For Your Time
If YOU (ASUS) feel that you will not STAND BEHIND your 5 YEAR Warranty, That includes MILITARY GRADE MOSFET(mine burned up under a heat sink). Please return MY Product, and NO you rate a (1) one and I will not recommed your items to anyone else.

A Computer Enthusiast, ( for AMD Processors) is anyone that SPENDS $200+ USD FOR a motherboard.

Hmmm, Why not just send them a copy of your Proof of purchase for warranty verification?

I'm sorry, but your last two posts are bordering on completely incoherent to me. I'd imagine the technician is feeling much the same. I see lots of annoyance along with quite a bit of capital letter usage, but I'm failing to understand what it is you're trying to say. Why do you want to prove you did "not purchase your product"? What are you talking about looking at the motherboard "with your eyes closed"? How is inserting and removing RAM, GPUs, HDD cables from slots designed for this purpose causing physical damage?

I purchased it new off of E-Bay. Asus states" For warranty verification: Make sure the following is visible on the proof of purchase: company logo, date of purchase, purchase price, serial number and/or model number of the ASUS product.
Unacceptable forms of proof of purchase include, but is not limited to: bank statements, screen shots, forwarded e-mails, and copy & pasted e-mails. We also do not accept files attached as DOC, TXT, or RTF
I have all the info they need, just in a form that they will not accept.

I'm sorry, but your last two posts are bordering on completely incoherent to me. I'd imagine the technician is feeling much the same. I see lots of annoyance along with quite a bit of capital letter usage, but I'm failing to understand what it is you're trying to say. Why do you want to prove you did "not purchase your product"? What are you talking about looking at the motherboard "with your eyes closed"? How is inserting and removing RAM, GPUs, HDD cables from slots designed for this purpose causing physical damage?

Asus states "Please be advised that as per our warranty terms, any physical damage would void warranty"
Because the Mosfet/VRM shows physical damage (fried under the heat sink), that the product is no longer covered under warranty.

I've been beating my head, trying to explain. When you lose a VRM/Mosfet, you can tell because it will be fried. Somehow it could not control the voltage being sent to it, so it let the extra voltage exscape out the top of it. This caused a burn hole and melting of the VRM.

I got to see one up very close. I blow the VRM on my server H8QME-2, the flame jumped a good 24" high for about 1 1/2 second. Then the whole bedroom had a VERY strong smell of burnt electronics for 2 days.

MaddMutt, per my link, if you look at "component burned" it is an accepted repair and is free in-warranty.

Send them that link and say you're not paying because of that and want your board fixed anyway.

I would recommend This ^ over giving up on a stubborn CS rep. Just take a deep breath and lets figure this out.

I'm not sure if the E-Bay store you bought it "new" from is a certified ASUS distributor. If they are you should be able to request a receipt or copy of the purchase from them. Any reputable company will gladly help you out with this. If they're not a certified store, well, that's a gamble you take when you purchase from E-Bay.

All I wish for, is that Asus stands behind their 5 year warranty and repair the motherboard. If the MB is unrepairable, then a new replacement MB ( Not a recertified MB, that you can see has been beat up). Is that to much to ask for a TOP of the line $200 AMD MB??????

I would be screaming even more, if it had been a $350 Intel X99 MB. That also fried the $500+ Intel CPU

EDIT: Also not respected to pay for replacement MB.

All I wish for, is that Asus stands behind their 5 year warranty and repair the motherboard. If the MB is unrepairable, then a new replacement MB ( Not a recertified MB, that you can see has been beat up). Is that to much to ask for a TOP of the line $200 AMD MB??????

I would be screaming even more, if it had been a $350 Intel X99 MB. That also fried the $500+ Intel CPU

The Sabertooth actually isn't Asus' top board.

It also seems like they're not replacing it because you can't provide an invoice from purchasing the board, not because of the damage.

Back