• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus warranty support: Not good, not good at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just received my un-repaired motherboard from Asus. The motherboard (as shown in a previous post) has the RED arrow showing where the damage is. The package did not contain the VRM/NB heat sink. I understand that the motherboard is non operational but to not return my motherboard the way I sent it in:(

I just received my un-repaired motherboard from Asus. The motherboard (as shown in a previous post) has the RED arrow showing where the damage is. The package did not contain the VRM/NB heat sink. I understand that the motherboard is non operational but to not return my motherboard the way I sent it in:(

That's BS. THey have a responsiblity under US law as far as I know to return the item to you in the condition you sent it out.

That ticks me off in order to use a better term of words otherwise I'd be saying something else.

Hello everyone!
I'm starting the RMA process on my MAXIMUS V FORMULA.

Like many others before me, it seems the mobo refuses to notice the graphics card in either PCI-e x1, x2, or x3 slot.
I even just got myself a 1000W EVGA PSU to rule that out...

I just got my first reply from the ASUS CS rep... and won't you believe the nerve of this guy?
Here goes his quote and part of my reply to him...

"Kindly let us know whether you have try to overclock your Motherboard MAXIMUS V FORMULA."

So I replied, below his email:
This is extremely confusing. Motherboards cannot be overclocked. Components of the motherboard aren't specified to work under a specific certain guideline. Motherboards are not like CPU, RAM or dedicated GPUs.
What I'm trying to say is, for example, my Intel 3770K CPU is rated to work at 3.5-3.9GHz. Operating at a clock faster than that would be overclocking.
To answer, what I think is your question: I said in my previous email the computer runs fine over clocked or not. At that time, I was referring to my memory. The CORSAIR memory I use has an XMP profile of 2000MHz, 9-10-9-27. I run that profile which is against the standard of 1600MHz stated. It's a certified XMP profile.

Please kindly let me know what internal motherboard components exactly were you referring to when you asked me if I had ever try to "overclock my motherboard".
First, my ASUS GTX760 stop responding. I thought the card was dead (a third-party shop confirmed me).
ASUS sent me a brand-new card... and... once I plugged it in... no response.
After I got my new PSU and ruled that out... it became clear the mobo was at fault.
I'll be taking a gazillion pictures of it before I send it out (after I get my RMA approved... of course).

First time joining.
First time posting.

Go easy :)

Hello everyone!
I'm starting the RMA process on my MAXIMUS V FORMULA.

Like many others before me, it seems the mobo refuses to notice the graphics card in either PCI-e x1, x2, or x3 slot.
I even just got myself a 1000W EVGA PSU to rule that out...

I just got my first reply from the ASUS CS rep... and won't you believe the nerve of this guy?
Here goes his quote and part of my reply to him...

So I replied, below his email:
First, my ASUS GTX760 stop responding. I thought the card was dead (a third-party shop confirmed me).
ASUS sent me a brand-new card... and... once I plugged it in... no response.
After I got my new PSU and ruled that out... it became clear the mobo was at fault.
I'll be taking a gazillion pictures of it before I send it out (after I get my RMA approved... of course).

First time joining.
First time posting.

Go easy :)

Good luck :)
Lots 'n lots of pics as you said.

Document everything, how it looks in the box, protective covers etc.
Make a video of you packaging it up for pete's sake LOL!

Let's hope for the best eh? :D

Oh, and :welcome: to OCF!!!! :cool:

Thanks for the welcome!
I think I might have go full scale like you said...
Document it all, pictures/videos... and even for s&g throw it all in an old USB flash-drive along with the motherboard as a way of saying: HERE... I DOCUMENTED IT ALL OUT... try to screw me!

I probably won't hear from the rep tonight. I'm thinking they'll issue the RMA and just deny the warranty because of a sharpie mark on the side of a PCI-E slot :)

ASUS actually replaces your product with a new/refurb product like 1% of the time. The other 99% of the time they find a way out through one of the 3 trillion back doors in their warranty. As you can see in this thread, sometimes they don't even send you your (broken) junk back in the same condition you sent it to them.

I mean... seriously... where do they find these guys? :confused:

1. As per your email I understand that you are using PSU of 1000W capability. Please check whether it is providing the enough power supply needed for the motherboard and its components.
2. Kindly check if your Graphic card is compatible with the Motherboard MAXIMUS V FORMULA
3. If it is compatible with the motherboard, please reset the BIOS settings to the default and now check whether your PC is working fine or not.

Seriously!?? These are the questions you ask ASUS? :shock:
I don't know whether to feel empathy or anger...:-/

I think they're just covering all the bases. No harm in them asking. I would be surprised if the next E-mail didn't include an RMA number.

I would be surprised if the next E-mail didn't include an RMA number.
You sir... Prepare to be surprised:

Hi Faye,

Thank you for the response and I would help you with the same.
I appreciate you for the breif reply for my questions.
As per your reply I understand that there might be some issue with the Motherboard MAXIMUS V FORMULA.
I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and it would be my pleasure to assist you in resolving this issue.
In this case we are happy to help you with Repair/Replacement of the Motherboard MAXIMUS V FORMULA.
Kindly acknowledge us by replying to this email.

If you still need assistance, Kindly reply to this email so we can assist you better.

Thank you very much.
Ravi D

Customer Service Center.
ASUSTek Computer Inc.

OMG :eek:
How many times are we going to go back/forth Mr. Ravi ? :bang head
YES YES YES I want an RMA! What are the other implied options? A personalized visit from an ASUS tech to repair it at home!? :-/

I just replied this..
Yes... please issue an RMA# so I can send the motherboard for repair UNDER WARRANTY.
I have 1 year and 7 days left in my warranty for this motherboard.
Per my previous conversations, attempt to approve a prepaid return label.
This is my third RMA with ASUS in just 4 months.
Thank you!

And in case some of you were curious... this is what I sent to him that may have mislead him...
Just for entertainment or future "FYIs":
Hello Ravi,

You stated:
1. As per your email I understand that you are using PSU of 1000W capability. Please
check whether it is providing the enough power supply needed for the motherboard
and its components.
Yes, the power supply is providing enough. In fact, my old 750W was providing
enough. On top of this, I am using a wattage-measurement device between the wall
socket and the entire computer+monitors. During POST and startup, only 200W are
used.

You stated:
2. Kindly check if your Graphic card is compatible with the Motherboard MAXIMUS V
FORMULA
Yes, the graphics card is 100% compatible. In fact, the graphics card worked
flawlessly for the first 4-5 months in every game I played. Up until a few weeks ago.

You stated:
3. If it is compatible with the motherboard, please reset the BIOS settings to the
default and now check whether your PC is working fine or not.
Yes, I have reset the BIOS settings almost ten different times in the troublesthooing
steps. I even removed the CMOS battery at some times to complete erase all
settings.
With default BIOS values, the motherboard still refuses to detect the graphics card in
any of the 3 PCI-E slots.

Thank you for your help.
Leonardo.

Awesome news East-Bay! I actually meant to type I wouldn't be surprised, but doesn't matter now. Glad to hear it's getting set back.

Now, just to give yo a heads up. Just because they issue an RMA don't think that you're going to get a new board back. It seems lately they've been claiming user damage on a lot of these RMA's. Take tons of pictures and let them know you're taking them. It might discourage them from trying to screw you.

I truly wish you the best of luck here. I really can't stomach another bad ASUS story.

Has anybody ever read the ASUS warranty cover to cover? I bet it just says "Bend over and take it!" over and over and over in 12 languages.
I have been ASUS faithful for all my high end boards for like a decade and change. Honestly though, I've heard one too many "Asus screwed me" stories. I think I'm going to switch to Gigabyte. They've gotten their high end act together with these black edition boards. And all the RMA stories I've heard about Gigabyte say that lately they are as good as EVGA. That's why I bought a Gigabyte GTX 980. I liked the ASUS card better but meh...

I wish that I would have piped in earlier. I forgot rule #1 when water cooling : Rule #1) When you have Delta fans that run @ 4000+ rpm, please make sure that the safety grill is in place before inserting hand/fingers. I got a good cut on my left middle finger ( 6 stitches) :(

Back to post. Make sure that you have a high res camera and take your time in taking the pictures. Pay extra attention to the CPU socket ( you have a Intel board) and have clear pictures that show no bent or missing pins. I read on here, that one of the guys had sent in his MB for repair and Asus had bent his CPU pins. Just so that they could refuse his warranty. :-/

Asus web site, that let's you check on your RMA, was down. So I talked to a CS (2) times in a week and both told me that my MB was being repaired.

Last edited:
Replacement CPU from AMD

I got another Sabertooth from e-bay and tried out the warranty replacement FX-8350. I was able to get her to 4.9~ stable but any thing over would BSOD during testing :(

I did not know if AMD would replace the bad 8350, so I purchased a 8370.
When the 8350 did not want to OC, I switched it out for the 8370. Hope the screen shot looks nice:)

View attachment 159840

Q : In the BIOS, how do I get the cpu speed closer to what I have set?

It's like... We are back to square one. All the information he wants was submitted as part of the requirement to start a case.
Like he never read my emails. I want to cry

Hi Faye,

Thank you for the response and I would help you with the same.

I understand that you are looking for a shipping label to send the device for RMA.

I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused and it would be my pleasure to assist you in resolving this issue.

I am extremely sorry for missing out the shipping label part in my previous email. I am happy to help you with the shipping label.

Kindly help us with the below information to with the RMA and Shipping label of the new RMA.

1. Full Name
2. Physical Address
3. Contact Number
4. Email Address
5. Product Model
6. Product Serial Number
7. Place of Purchase

If you still need assistance, Kindly reply to this email so we can assist you better.
Thank you very much.
Ravi D

Customer Service Center.
ASUSTek Computer Inc.

Maybe English is his second language :)
Next time, just pick up the phone and give them a call, i always do that when i need customer support.
And here is a little tip for you all, if you can't understand the guy or girl that you're talking too because of his or her heavy accent, ask for a tier 2 customer service representative

Last summer I bought a PSU from Newegg that died on me and I thought it had fried the entire PC, turns out it didn't. After a month or more of fighting to get Newegg to replace the damn PSU, and threatening to sue over the presumed to be dead PC, I finally got a replacement. However, in that time I decided to buy an ASUS M11BB desktop with 8GB RAM, an A8-6800K, and a 1TB drive. This arrived, end of June, 4th of July at the latest. Worked for 2 days before the power button on the case broke. For the REST OF THE SUMMER, I was fighting tooth and nail to get them to replace the desktop, and in the FIRST WEEK OF SEPTEMBER they finally sent it back, fixed. Seeing how terrible their customer service was, I decided to cut my losses and void the warranty by pulling the parts out of the current case from ASUS and sticking it into the case the PC I thought had been fried was in. I still have the PC to this day, but never again will I buy a prebuilt PC, or an ASUS product.

Back