• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus warranty support: Not good, not good at all

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wait, you guys are premade branded PC buyers? Eww..... lol :p j/k

My first PC ever was a bestbuy compaq presario (PII-266mhz than upgraded to 333mhz) (black) with the introduction to DVD. lol

Heh, the only parts left from that premade rig is the i5, the cooler and 1 hdd. Everything else is now replaced :D
For $500 I think I scored a nice deal back then :p

Because of a difference of... reflections?

I didn't think about reflections, good call. It looked as if the paint was different.

Also hard to tell from the angle but it looks like the sticker on the PCI slot is a lot further to the right in ASUS picture, starts over the 9 in 1394, while it appears it starts over the 3 in the original picture.

on this image enhanced picture you can clearly see the culprit GTXjack :D

View attachment 156642

...ok
nah, the images look different because of how the light is highlighting the copper traces on one photo making the "_2" look like different print to the original.
but its just the position of the lighting source.

optical delusion.. err, sorry illusion mostly :)

I just got my replacement RIVE yesterday and it looks like they sent a new board and it's working great. The turn around time was fantastic, they received my board on 11/19 and I received the replacement on 11/26.

From what I've read they seem to treat the ROG customers well compared to the non ROG.

That was a quick response; they're having someone look into this. Will update when I hear anything.

Hokey? Crickets?

Any update?

Woot! has an ASUS board for sale now, at a decent price. But it isn't decent if this is still happening.

Thanks, bro!

steve

I thought it was taken care of in subsequent posts, wasn't it?
That is what I thought too. One also has to remember that situations like these are one offs. In that, Im sure this happened, and probably dozens of times, but that doesn't hold a candle to the THOUSANDS of success stories.

I see no problem in buying an ASUS motherboard and taking my chances with customer service.

Hokey? Crickets?

Any update?

Woot! has an ASUS board for sale now, at a decent price. But it isn't decent if this is still happening.

Thanks, bro!

steve
Amazon has it for $5.00 less then woot after a $30.00 MIR.

And yes it was taken care of.

That is what I thought too. One also has to remember that situations like these are one offs. In that, Im sure this happened, and probably dozens of times, but that doesn't hold a candle to the THOUSANDS of success stories.

I see no problem in buying an ASUS motherboard and taking my chances with customer service.

True but it all comes down to CS. From what I've read countless times, ASUS CS is horrible unless you have a ROG product apparently. Being overseas sometimes entails different rules and regulations. A american company at home plate pulling off what ASUS has would have gone out of business or at least been hurt in the pocket.

Ive had no problems with their RMAs...both with ROG and basic products. Granted, I only had to deal with them 3/4 times, but... so far so good.

I remember when ASUS wasn't regarded to far above Chaintech and Foxconn. That was long before "ROG" though. Was all about MSI, Abit and DFI (s754/939 days, intel was a benchmarking joke, "My momma says P4 owners are always so honery because they got all those Ghz and still so slow")

I have had a similar experience. Tried to RMA a dead Asus 790FX board a while back and they flat out denied it. They sent it back to me and said it was fine. I was baffled. I tried two times with the same result each time. Unreal. Gigabyte FTW

I had the same feeling. So in Sept 2014 I pickup a Sabertooth and a FX-8350, to retire my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5/FX8320 to a backup computer. About 3 - 31/2 weeks ago I was running some bench's on it. I had her at 5087GHz @ 1.4785 and water cooled (+1 to Blaylock in helping me find out that my me FX-8350 had a very bad convexed HS). I ended up Frying a VRM/Mosfet and my new FX-8350 :(
I had just did a Benchmark run at 5087GHz @ 1.4857 but I knew it had more. The temp's where higher than I liked from last weeks run ( +10c) so I backed her down to 4.7 to play a game. I put the higher temp's down to trying to get the NB higher to stabilize the memory. I got 4-5 minutes into COD AW when the VRM fried, I checked the CPU on another board. It would not even post but just do a loop on restarting. When I pulled the block off the CPU, the TIM was at the edge's of the CPU & Block and also dry. I had no TIM over the middle of the CPU. When I had ran air or water before, if I pulled the block off after a month on the CPU, I could (and have) pulled the CPU out of the socket just from the TIM being glued to the block. When I started water cooling my RAM on my Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 (Corsair Vengeance 1600 @ 9-9-9-24 1.5), I was getting memory errors. With the MB's VRM & NB tied together with a heat pipe, I knew I needed to get rid of the heat. I had used the stock fan from the AMD cooler, and was able to hit 2128 @ 9-11-9-27 1.65. I had just switched to the ASUS motherboard and the FX-8350 last month and was trying to see what see had. To get to 5GHz with the Gigabyte and the FX-8320, (it is back in it running F@H) I would have to get the CPU over 1.7v. It would run 24/7 at 4.5GHz @ 1.45v.

Too many variables to say. Could be.... New motherboard that has WAY to many options to OC, after using the Gigabyte Rev 1.x board. Having a New FX-8350, that is from a more mature process than the 2 1/2 year old FX-8320 I had.
Look's like I will be go back through OCing 101 again:bang head

A couple things strike me as curious. I don't doubt your claims, but am curious as to the possibilities.
"The temp's where higher than I liked from last weeks run ( +10c)..." - What would cause a +10c increase in a matter of 1 week? Surely your TIM didn't dry in a matter of 1 week. Do you have you rig sitting directly above a heat vent?

I'm not sure if it was the bigger 80mm and then a 120mm fan that I had pointed straight at the VRM/NB heat sink, trying to keep it cool. I was working on the OC of the RAM, with the new board, I was stuck at 208x @ 10-11-10-27 2T 1.65v

"When I pulled the block off the CPU, the TIM was at the edge's of the CPU & Block and also dry. I had no TIM over the middle of the CPU..." - Its possible you over tightened the block and squeezed the TIM from the center and pushed it all to the edges. Giving the appearance that it dried up.

This is very likely as I had not used AS Ceramique 2 on my CPU before. I had always used AS 5 but I was currently out. I had the AS Ceramique 2 from other projects that required non conductive TIM.

"...I could (and have) pulled the CPU out of the socket just from the TIM being glued to the block." - This is actually fairly common, even with proper TIM. It's best to rotate the block/HSF until the suction releases the CPU from the block. You probably know this, but I thought it was worth mentioning here.

"New motherboard that has WAY to many options to OC..." - You'll never hear me say this phrase. LOL. I say "Moar options, Moar betta!"

This was my first time working on overclocking a motherboard that used OFFSET values in the BIOS. This is also my first UEFI BIOS and the first Asus motherboard since the M3A. The Gigabyte motherboards that I have used, use absolute values in the BIOS. If the CPU needed 1.375v to work and you added +50mv, it showed that the CPU was going to get 1.425v.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaylock View Post

Anyhow, enough rambling. You should check your block and cpu to make sure they're not both convex. If you're not sure how we can assist in that.

+1 On the CPU.

I have never lapped a CPU before, nor have I had a reason to check one (1).

I have heard of and read some of their post's but I always thought that was for EXTREME cooling people. Going that extra step, to get maybe a 2-4c lower temp (AND possibly bending pins) didn't seem worth the effort. I will admit, that I have lapped many coolers before. I never thought that a CPU would be as bad as a $20 heat sink.

Do I need to get Paranoid and start checking new ones I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaylock View Post Nice. Usually they don't need it. There was just another post today about the same issue. If HS is convex and CPU isn't, usually not bad unless it's really bad. But when they're both convex or both concave you'll never get good contact. If the CPU is new you could try an RMA. Same with cooler. I would try that over lapping as that will void your warranty.

I talked to ASUS on Thursday, and was told that my motherboard had been accepted. I also talked to them again today, this time I copied & pasted the LIVE CHAT session to MS Word 2003. They are going to fix and recertify the motherboard, I had to ask the guy about the CPU. Since the motherboard failed, this caused the CPU to fry. Here is what he said, about who should repair/replace the CPU : "Well we are ASUS, not AMD, we did not manufacture the cpu, I am not sure why they would inform you to come to us for repair. I do apologize for that, but we cannot RMA any cpu. only asus products. I do apologize for that matter." After the chat with Asus, I submitted a RMA to AMD and also told them that it was the fault of the motherboard. Either way, I plan on picking up a FX-8370 as AMD also updated it's instruction set.

Quote Originally Posted by GTXJackBauer View Post
Make sure to take pictures of your board and especially the CPU pins. I don't trust Asus one bit.

+1

I did not have that feeling until tonight. I got a e-mail from Asus support, that turned out to be a BILL

01-RMA Number USPC511273 0.00 1 0.00

10-RC003 0.00 1 0.00

04-Shipping Ground Shipping Ground 10.00 1 10.001

Motherboard Damage Non-Repairable Replacement Unit - burnt - not repairable
150.00 1 150.00
Total $160.00

Amount Paid -0.00

Amount Due

$160.00 USD.

Here is a copy of the Live CHAT that I had with Mr Cordell S. a ASUS C.S.R.(Customer Service Representative) "Yes, and right now it is in repair and has been for a few days, so it should be done in the next couple days and on its way back to you and we ship FedEx ground so its normally only a few days for shipping".

ASUS states in their e-mail "Your RMA has been received; however there is a delay in processing as there is (damage to the motherboard - burnt - not repairable) which is not covered under the ASUS manufacturer warranty".

Back