• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I upgrade or overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so I got FSB to 390x8 stock voltage. Prime95 Small FFTs ran stable for 30mins without errors. Temps peaked 74C 68C 72C 72C with case closed. I opened the case and it lowered to 70C 64C 68C 68C and now it iddles at 38C 34C 33C 29C. Do you think it's safe to run prime95 for at least 10hours at current settings? I probably should reapply thermal paste.

Should be safe with a fan blowing into the case.

Sounds like you need more airflow through your case, I would grab a couple of fans with the new heatsink.

So I ran these 2 benchmarks at same settings:
CPU intensive
GPU intensive

Before OC
Benchmark 1 average FPS: 15
Benchmark 2 average FPS: 27

After OC
Benchmark 1 average FPS: 17
Benchmark 2 average FPS: 29

Lol 2 FPS increase

Last edited:
Think about it in a percent manner... that 2 FPS increase is what 12% on B1 and 7% on the other???? What if you already had a 100 FPS and was 12% better.... ;)

While it doesn't make it playable that is only from your CPU. You are playing a game, and while the CPU is holding you back a bit, the GPU is what will make the biggest difference. That is a 5 year old card and all.

Ok so I think I figured it out. In my case RAM speed must be lower than 800MHz right? So I set FSB to 380 and now I will run prime95. For how long should I run it, and can I leave my PC after 30 mins of testing or do I have to watch temps for longer?

Set the FSB-to-DRAM ratio to 1:1.

I have a few more questions

Now I am running stable 390x8=3120MHz at stock voltage. I set RAM multiplier to 2.0B so it's 780MHz. But my RAM stock speed should be 800MHz. I have no idea how can I match it to 800MHz with that FSB. I also set it to 1.80V.

1. Should I leave my RAM at 1.80V or auto? Is 1.80V too much, would it be safer for it to decide for itself?
1. What are x.xA x.xB x.xC x.xD RAM multipliers? What those letters mean?
2. Does 20Hz slower make any real world difference (framerate)?
3. Could I safely increase RAM speed over 800MHz, like in 900s (would it even slightly raise framerate)?
4. Is it possible to somehow overclock CPU even higher without raising voltage? Maybe some settings are holding me back to achieve even higher stable OC? Maybe I need to tweak something with RAM or some other advanced settings???
5. During this whole OC time the only voltages I set from auto to factory specified ones are Vcore and RAM. Do I need to manually set any other ones so that they don't automatically overvolt?

BTW: Watch Dogs only support DirectX 11 :cry:

Last edited:
Back