• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket Temperature holding me back from overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
bf3 and bf4??? it seems that i remember those only useing 4 cores.
go into the bios and disable a couple of cores, that will give you lots of headroom.

ALSO - I am going to play a few games on BF4 and see how it does. Since BF4 is not that CPU instensive, do you think I may reach 4.5 GHz?
If you're already in the 70's on the socket, for what we would consider stable, no. Most of us running oced will not run at X Mhz for a daily OC unless it will pass at least 2 hours of Prime Blend. Yes you can try running 4.5 for BF4 and it will most likely have cooler temps but unless you can pass 2 hours prime at a minimum you may have stability issues. You should test it out and see what kind of Fps difference you get from 4.2 and going to 4.5 on BF4.

20ibc77.jpg

My results. 4.5 GHz @ 1.425 V got me to 60 C on the core and 62 C on the socket after 00:03:49.2 of playing BF4 on Siege of Shanghai.

50339289.jpg

Also - I would expect more from Hainan, which actually dips into the 40s when looking at the map and feels like 20. Same with Shanghai, Flood Zone, Paracel Storm, and just about every other BF4 map.

EDIT: Also, would a Crosshair V Formula and H100i fix my problem completely? May consider selling this mobo, my old mobo (MSI 760GMA-P34(FX)), and my H60 for around $250 total and throw in maybe $60. I found the Crosshair V Formula online at Frys for $160, but then again, that may indicate some issue (this mobo was reduced price from $136 to $126, looked and it said maybe repairs or something), so I do not want to take chances. I found the Crosshair V Formula-Z on Newegg for $219.99 and the H100i at NCIX for $89.99. I am trying to reach astronomical overclocking, like maybe up to 4.8 or, if I am lucky, around 5 GHz. Would that be possible with the Formula-Z and an H100i? Would there be any coolers that could withstand this kind of overclock for around the same price? Is there anything that I can do immediately that will make my minimums go up and my overall numbers be closer together and not so far apart, like maybe FPS numbers closer to my temperature models?

Last edited:
Overall it seems you need serious issue addressing...

...the most important issues addressed first would produce the best results. Plus you need to remember that BF4 and BF3 are not coded as well as they should be and moving to CFx is not a cure most of the time since the ATI driver is still off some as I understand it.

Moving on.
You ask >> Also, would a Crosshair V Formula and H100i fix my problem completely?

My answer is >> NO it will not fix your problems at 4.5Ghz. You do NOT have good air-flow thru the case and certainly not in the VRM cpu voltage supply circuit and socket of cpu area. That is your main problem to date and the one most of us have referred to from your first post.

You say >> I am trying to reach astronomical overclocking, like maybe up to 4.8 or, if I am lucky, around 5 GHz.

My answer >> That is NOT likely possible just with JUST a change to the Formula-Z and an H100i. I say JUST a change because the FX-8320 your bought is not just a low-binned FX-8350 like we thought of in days of old. Buying the cheaper processor and overclocking it AS FAR as the higher priced cpu has n0t been working so well with FX processors.

If you were really really really lucky and got one of the new FX-8350 cpus that we have seen a few of that will clock from their default 4.0Ghz to 4.8Ghz without adding too much Vcore to the cpu...then you might get to 4.8Ghz with that CHV and H100i. Otherwise, NO, just buying a 'better' board for sure and a bigger AiO cooler will not do anything good or chances it will help are NOT so good that I would bet my money that way.

The 3500 MHz default speeded FX-8320 is just NOT normally up to clocking as high as an FX-8350. We have seen users in the AMD CPU Forum section buying low priced and trying to reach the same speeds as the FX-8350s and it seldom ever works out. YMMV but the money is on it not working out for the sort of speeds you want with you having an FX-8320.

You need: probably more or less in the order listed.

1.) better or said this way: cpu more likely to go to the 4.8Ghz range on GOOD water
cooling.

2.) better cpu cooler by a lot to push to the 4.8Ghz or 5.0Ghz speed range.

3.) more air thru your case over the area of VRMs no matter which mobo.

4.) better mobo to handle an 8 core cpu at 4.8Ghz speeds.

I list the motherboard last because without the situations being fixed first, there is no need to spend about $200.00 for a new CHV mobo. The board alone will not fix your problems of cpu speed. The cooler alone will not fix your cpu speed. The air thru the case and in the area of VRM and CPU socket will help with any mobo and cpu cooler.

It has been suggested to you that you go in bios and disable one module of 2 cores and thus allow for more speed with less strain on your parts and pieces. You NEED to try that to see if you can clock a little higher and see if that HELPS your gaming any. IF clocking a little higher, does not help with some more cpu speed since two cores are disabled, THEN spending more money for more cpu speed is NOT going to help you and you need to go INTEL and see if that helps sort your issues since most think Intel games better or so is said.
RGone...ster

EDIT:
More times than I can count the opinion seems to be that a 6 core FX-6300 or even the default higher clocked FX-6350 are better cpus for gaming. The two LESS cores of the FX-63xx series are a lot less load on the system than the full on overclocked 8 core processors.

So here again it would be greatly suggested that you disable 2 cores and see if you can get to a higher cpu clock and IF that higher clock helps your gaming. If it does not then you do not need to spend money on CHV and such but on some other plan.
END EDIT.

I am pissed off. I found out that my VID is low. It is a tiny 1.2875. Wow. It's no wonder why it's getting so hot. Others with 8320s have 1.3125+ V VIDs. -_-

...the most important issues addressed first would produce the best results. Plus you need to remember that BF4 and BF3 are not coded as well as they should be and moving to CFx is not a cure most of the time since the ATI driver is still off some as I understand it.

Moving on.
You ask >> Also, would a Crosshair V Formula and H100i fix my problem completely?

My answer is >> NO it will not fix your problems at 4.5Ghz. You do NOT have good air-flow thru the case and certainly not in the VRM cpu voltage supply circuit and socket of cpu area. That is your main problem to date and the one most of us have referred to from your first post.

You say >> I am trying to reach astronomical overclocking, like maybe up to 4.8 or, if I am lucky, around 5 GHz.

My answer >> That is NOT likely possible just with JUST a change to the Formula-Z and an H100i. I say JUST a change because the FX-8320 your bought is not just a low-binned FX-8350 like we thought of in days of old. Buying the cheaper processor and overclocking it AS FAR as the higher priced cpu has n0t been working so well with FX processors.

If you were really really really lucky and got one of the new FX-8350 cpus that we have seen a few of that will clock from their default 4.0Ghz to 4.8Ghz without adding too much Vcore to the cpu...then you might get to 4.8Ghz with that CHV and H100i. Otherwise, NO, just buying a 'better' board for sure and a bigger AiO cooler will not do anything good or chances it will help are NOT so good that I would bet my money that way.

The 3500 MHz default speeded FX-8320 is just NOT normally up to clocking as high as an FX-8350. We have seen users in the AMD CPU Forum section buying low priced and trying to reach the same speeds as the FX-8350s and it seldom ever works out. YMMV but the money is on it not working out for the sort of speeds you want with you having an FX-8320.

You need: probably more or less in the order listed.

1.) better or said this way: cpu more likely to go to the 4.8Ghz range on GOOD water
cooling.

2.) better cpu cooler by a lot to push to the 4.8Ghz or 5.0Ghz speed range.

3.) more air thru your case over the area of VRMs no matter which mobo.

4.) better mobo to handle an 8 core cpu at 4.8Ghz speeds.

I list the motherboard last because without the situations being fixed first, there is no need to spend about $200.00 for a new CHV mobo. The board alone will not fix your problems of cpu speed. The cooler alone will not fix your cpu speed. The air thru the case and in the area of VRM and CPU socket will help with any mobo and cpu cooler.

It has been suggested to you that you go in bios and disable one module of 2 cores and thus allow for more speed with less strain on your parts and pieces. You NEED to try that to see if you can clock a little higher and see if that HELPS your gaming any. IF clocking a little higher, does not help with some more cpu speed since two cores are disabled, THEN spending more money for more cpu speed is NOT going to help you and you need to go INTEL and see if that helps sort your issues since most think Intel games better or so is said.
RGone...ster

EDIT:
More times than I can count the opinion seems to be that a 6 core FX-6300 or even the default higher clocked FX-6350 are better cpus for gaming. The two LESS cores of the FX-63xx series are a lot less load on the system than the full on overclocked 8 core processors.

So here again it would be greatly suggested that you disable 2 cores and see if you can get to a higher cpu clock and IF that higher clock helps your gaming. If it does not then you do not need to spend money on CHV and such but on some other plan.
END EDIT.

I have good airflow in my case now, it is very wide open. I have tried the taking the side off and seeing if you get more than 5 C difference, and I literally go almost up in temps doing that because the side fan is no longer present. As I just mentioned, my 8320 has a 1.2875 VID. This may explain the temperature issue compared to having a higher VID. As for the processor, is it worth buying an 8350 and spending the extra money?

Buying an Intel CPU is out of the question, as I am on a pretty low budget. I just want a much better gaming experience with BF4, and an old game that I have, Flight Simulator X, which is single threaded. I have to get my North Bridge overclocked as well to get the single core performance up.

As for disabling cores, I will try that in the morning. It is 1:30 AM and I am tired. I will continue this tomorrow, but one last thing - are these temps normal for my situation and motherboard?

Lower cpu VID is good and n0t bad thing. More voltage is more heat. So your >> I am pissed off. I found out that my VID is low. It is a tiny 1.2875. Wow. It's no wonder why it's getting so hot. << certainly would seem backwards.
RGone...

Lower cpu VID is good and n0t bad thing. More voltage is more heat. So your >> I am pissed off. I found out that my VID is low. It is a tiny 1.2875. Wow. It's no wonder why it's getting so hot. << certainly would seem backwards.
RGone...

Processors with lower VIDs get hotter at higher voltages if I am not mistaken.

Any processor gets hotter with higher voltages...

Leakage is what you are alluding to, but we have no way of knowing how much leakage.

Any processor gets hotter with higher voltages...
+1

From what we've seen on these Fx processors, the ones with low Vid will overclock on ambient cooling, with less voltage. Though, when taken to extremes they will max their overclocks at lower Mhz then one with a higher Vid.

I agree with RGone in post #24 and if I may add. Looking at your system, if gaming is your primary purpose, your issues, from my standpoint is mainly the dual R9 270X. Unfortunately these Fx Cpu's don't run Gpu's in X fire/Sli very well. If you feel you're not getting the gaming experience out of them that you want, then I feel they should be addressed as follows.

Simple solution run it at 4.2 and turn down the eye candy to net you the Fps you feel is satisfactory.

Turn off 2 or even 4 cores and see if you can Oc higher staying under recommended max temps.

Get better cooling, and see if running around 4.5 ghz helps.

More complex:

Get a high end motherboard ie Sabertooth and really big cooling and see if you can get 4.5+ out of the chip and run it there.

Sell the R9 270X X2 and buy a single upper end Gpu.

Sell the Fx 8320/M5A combo and buy a I5 4670k/4690k/Z97 setup and OC that on the cooling you have and call it a day.

Processors with lower VIDs get hotter at higher voltages if I am not mistaken.

They also tend to clock higher at lower voltages and was a trend we were watching with the FX CPUs. My 8350 has a higher VID than most of us on here who push these CPUs and I also need a ton of voltage to get it to go. RGones CPU will run 4.8 at ~1.48v, mine on the other hand is at 4.64 with ~ the same voltage. And 4.9 takes me nearly 1.6v.
So a low VID is typically a good thing, especially when cooling these hot buggers

+1

From what we've seen on these Fx processors, the ones with low Vid will overclock on ambient cooling, with less voltage. Though, when taken to extremes they will max their overclocks at lower Mhz then one with a higher Vid.

I agree with RGone in post #24 and if I may add. Looking at your system, if gaming is your primary purpose, your issues, from my standpoint is mainly the dual R9 270X. Unfortunately these Fx Cpu's don't run Gpu's in X fire/Sli very well. If you feel you're not getting the gaming experience out of them that you want, then I feel they should be addressed as follows.

Simple solution run it at 4.2 and turn down the eye candy to net you the Fps you feel is satisfactory.

Turn off 2 or even 4 cores and see if you can Oc higher staying under recommended max temps.

Get better cooling, and see if running around 4.5 ghz helps.

More complex:

Get a high end motherboard ie Sabertooth and really big cooling and see if you can get 4.5+ out of the chip and run it there.

Sell the R9 270X X2 and buy a single upper end Gpu.

Sell the Fx 8320/M5A combo and buy a I5 4670k/4690k/Z97 setup and OC that on the cooling you have and call it a day.

I am getting much better performance with the 270X's on a good bit of maps, but some others are getting the same performance. I enjoy AMD processors and am not really looking to upgrade to the hotter Intel counterparts, and I don't really have the money to do so. AMD processors are also known to overclock much better than Intel. What would be the best option to get the best of my 8320 right now? Would a Formula-Z or Sabertooth and an H100i (or a good option similar to it) get me to higher overclocks? Which mobo would be the best for overclocking? I am looking for the best possible options available with my 8320 as of now. Are there any better options than the H100i besides a costly full-system water-cooled loop that do not blow my budget? I will know my budget in a little over a month from now.

On a side note, disabling cores only gives a negative effect on BF4 and BF3. They use all 8 cores/threads as I have heard in many places.

The Sabertooth R 2.0 and the new Swiftec H220 cooler, would do you just fine but RGone has laid that all out for you all ready, The case air flow would be your first priority and improved VRM cooling.
I would do as Mandrake suggested and try 4 or six cores and see how that works for you. When I was gaming , I had one title that had issues with 8 cores and had to drop to 4. My typical OC was 4.6 but on only 4 cores I managed to get 5.0 with the same cooling.

I have come up with a possible solution - I may be getting some money in a month or so (maybe around $250) and I am wondering what I can buy. What I am thinking is maybe I should sell my old mobo for $55, this mobo and cpu for $300, and my H60 for $60 and throw in $250 to have $610. With that I can maybe just squeeze in a 4770K for $340 and a Maximus VII Hero for $220. I could possibly sell my GPUs as a combo for around $400 and buy a single card for close to $320 like the GTX 770 or R9 280X and use the leftover money for a really good cooler. With my current setup and another $200-$300, what could I do with my system to have it literally as best as possible? I also may need room for rendering, so the i7 may do me better than an i5. Even an SSD may be nice. I am choosing to become more open to Intel now that I think about what I can get in terms of performance.\

Edit: I have 2 REALLY good R9 270X's that get me a graphics score of 12702 in Fire Strike 1.1 (this is on par with a 780 Ti and GTX Titan Black) http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2189286 vs http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2225525 (an overclocked 290X)

Beat a 780 too http://www.3dmark.com/fs/2225538

Last edited:
What you do is up to you and good luck getting the money for used parts they're not as easy to get rid of as you might think. If you scraped up enough to get a 4770k, you could go with a lower priced board and probably keep the cooler. It's on par with a decent air cooler AFIK. Even the cards would do you fine. My best on Firestrike with my 4770 and 2x GTX 770 is 13168 so you're in the ball park.

What you do is up to you and good luck getting the money for used parts they're not as easy to get rid of as you might think. If you scraped up enough to get a 4770k, you could go with a lower priced board and probably keep the cooler. It's on par with a decent air cooler AFIK. Even the cards would do you fine. My best on Firestrike with my 4770 and 2x GTX 770 is 13168 so you're in the ball park.

I have replaced parts multiple times because of performance issues, so I need a good insight and plan. Is this a good setup? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N6m44D I can probably cover the difference.

Edit: Same price for Newegg and gets here faster. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BWP223

Last edited:
Well if Intel is the way you want to go, you don't need a Maximus Hero, it's a great board and I do own one but not necessary. You can overclock on an Intel chip on a much lesser board without issue. You might as well wait on the newer Haswell refresh and get the I7 4970k, you also do not need an I7 as per most games do not utilize hyper threading.

Something like an Asus Z97-A or Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H is plenty and will cost you a lot less.

Well if Intel is the way you want to go, you don't need a Maximus Hero, it's a great board and I do own one but not necessary. You can overclock on an Intel chip on a much lesser board without issue. You might as well wait on the newer Haswell refresh and get the I7 4970k, you also do not need an I7 as per most games do not utilize hyper threading.

Something like an Asus Z97-A or Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H is plenty and will cost you a lot less.

Don't you mean the 4790K? And that won't be any different except for a higher clock, like the 4770 vs 4790. Isn't the Maximus VII Hero much better than the Z97-A and GA-Z97X boards at overclocking? I need to get the most out of it for BF4, as overclocking a 4770K to 4.5 has shown a good 10-15 more fps and a 20 fps higher minimum. Will the 4770K have minimums over 60? I have also wanted an ROG board due to DIGI+ III and better VRMs/more power phases. Great cooling on that board, too.

Yes, 4790K.

Correct, its no different except when it comes to overclocking. There is better TIM on it among other changes that make it better than the 4770K. Supposedly we can see 5Ghz on air with it versus the 4770K putters our from 4.2-4.5Ghz with air.

Depends on how you define 'much better'. Here is the thing, those boards are made for EXTREME overclocking, read: Dry Ice and LN2 overclocking, not ambient (be it air or water) overclocking. So you are essentially paying for features and a robustness that you do not need. The Z97-A will take your CPU where you want it to go without flinching.

Last I saw on BF4, overclocking didn't do much FOR INTEL. the difference was around 3 FPS IIRC...
EDIT: http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Last edited:
Yes, 4790K.

Correct, its no different except when it comes to overclocking. There is better TIM on it among other changes that make it better than the 4770K. Supposedly we can see 5Ghz on air with it versus the 4770K putters our from 4.2-4.4Ghz with air.

Depends on how you define 'much better'. Here is the thing, those boards are made for EXTREME overclocking, read: Dry Ice and LN2 overclocking, not ambient (be it air or water) overclocking. So you are essentially paying for features and a robustness that you do not need. The Z97-A will take your CPU where you want it to go without flinching.

Last I saw on BF4, overclocking didn't do much FOR INTEL. the difference was around 3 FPS IIRC...
EDIT: http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

Could I reach 4.5-5 GHz on water on either boards?

Edit: Answered this for myself. ASUS Z97-A it is. What are the max temps for this processor? I have heard that Haswell CPUs have major thermal issues.

Last edited:
Back