• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket Temperature holding me back from overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alright, thank you! Do you think I can get $300 out of this? It is a $140 mobo and a $160 CPU that have been used for just under a month. Should I sell my cooler with it or separately? If so, should I ship it with the cooler attatched?

Used is never worth full value or at least people don't see used as full value. Maybe $250 or along those lines. Of course you can ask for any amount but you do want to move the parts on and get money for the used parts.

I would never ship a board with a cooler on it. If bought as mobo and cpu and you want to include the original cooler, it should be packed and shipped not on the mobo if it were mine to ship. YMMV.
RGone...

My friend has an ASRock board and it doesn't let him overclock much and crashes past 1.3V. It is the Extreme9. I want an ASUS because I have all of my stuff optimized for ASUS stuff. I like their BIOS and overclocking ability. I do not want to have to reinstall everything. The 4790K is $279.99 and the mobo is $229, but with the 4770K instead of the 4790K, the mobo is $189.99. The total price after everything is $667.77 including tax with the 4790K and the mobo, but with the 4770K and the mobo it is $614.77. Should I get the 4770K or get the Devil's Canyon counterpart? I have read that at stock speeds on air, the 4790K gets to 88 C with the cooler, with 78 C with the 4770K at the lower speed, but at 4 GHz I could imagine it could get up to 95 C. With the H105 on the other hand, I am planning to hit 5 GHz, but I will have to use the 4790K for that. Would I probably be able to hit 5 GHz with an H105 and a Maximus VII Hero? I heard that the HERO is better at overclocking because (correct me if I am wrong) it has VRMs rated for 60 Amps. Temperatures then go down. Question is - will I be able to really have a difference big enough with a 4790K to justify the extra $53?
optimized for Asus?? Not have to reinstall? First part doesn't make sense, and.the second, you wi have to install dome new drivers on the new board.

I'd be surprised that devil's canyon Ran that hot stock. Haswell doesn't run that hot on stock and DC is said to have better cooling.. :thup:

Just the Cpu attached not the cooler.

I had a re read through most of the post, if it were me I would sell the pair of R9 270's. Easier to sell, more likely you wont have any hassles selling them. Get a upper tier card such as a R9 290 or GTX 780. I have no problem playing modern games such as BF4, at high settings on my 8350 at 1080p resolution with my GTX 780.

I doubt you'll get much more then $200.00 for the mobo cpu combo.

As for the other performance question I had, will the extra performance really justify the $53 higher price tag? As for the 270X's, I get better performance than 780s and around the same as a 780 Ti. I understand the heat thing, but the performance/price ratio with these in crossfire is amazing. Do you think I can sell the CPU/mobo combo for $275 because it has only been in operation for less than a month? How much do you think I can get from the H60? How far do you think I can overclock the 4770K vs the 4790K on the Hero with an H105? Sorry for the questions, I just need answers before I make another investment so I have no regrets in terms of hardware unoptimization/bottlenecks.

optimized for Asus?? Not have to reinstall? First part doesn't make sense, and.the second, you wi have to install dome new drivers on the new board.

I'd be surprised that devil's canyon Ran that hot stock. Haswell doesn't run that hot on stock and DC is said to have better cooling.. :thup:

I have some ASUS programs that are great and am used to them. Wouldn't like to switch to Gigabyte or ASRock. Don't say that I can get just as far on those boards and lower-end boards, because the 60 Amp transistors in the VRMs do not get as hot as their I think 40 Amp counterparts on other boards. Less heat = more overclocking headroom. As for the stock speeds, remember that this is 500 MHz higher than stock clocks. I would expect around 90-95 on the 4770K with stock cooler at 4 GHz. Also, can I probably reach 5 GHz on the 4770K or 4790K with the Hero and H105?

Used is never worth full value or at least people don't see used as full value. Maybe $250 or along those lines. Of course you can ask for any amount but you do want to move the parts on and get money for the used parts.

I would never ship a board with a cooler on it. If bought as mobo and cpu and you want to include the original cooler, it should be packed and shipped not on the mobo if it were mine to ship. YMMV.
RGone...

Would I be alright to send it in the same box? Maybe sell the whole thing for $330?

Sure you could ship everything in one box but you don't want the cooler banging around on top of the mobo or anything like that. U can get what people will pay for something. Will anyone pay 330.00 for board, cpu and AiO cooler? Never know until you try.
RGone...

ab98, you have too many expectations when overclocking. Do not expect to get X mhx out of any chip and I'd be surprised if they improved the Devils Canyon chips that much, to be able to run them for daily operation at 5.0 Ghz. Every chip is different, it's a silicon lottery, you go into it with really high expectations, you run the risk of being severely disappointed. That said a 4770k or 4790k running above 4.0 will handle any game you throw at it.

As far as your choice of motherboards goes, almost any +$120.00 Z97 motherboard will overclock an I5/I7 chip as far as it will go on ambient cooling. My Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 overclocked my I5 2500k to 5.3 on Air, not bad for a $130.00 board, at the time.
Would I be alright to send it in the same box? Maybe sell the whole thing for $330?
This has been answered already see above.

You probably won't hit 5GHz without a custom water loop, with either cpu. It is very rare for people to hit 5 GHz on a 4770k, even after delidding.

ab98, you have too many expectations when overclocking. Do not expect to get X mhx out of any chip and I'd be surprised if they improved the Devils Canyon chips that much, to be able to run them for daily operation at 5.0 Ghz. Every chip is different, it's a silicon lottery, you go into it with really high expectations, you run the risk of being severely disappointed. That said a 4770k or 4790k running above 4.0 will handle any game you throw at it.

As far as your choice of motherboards goes, almost any +$120.00 Z97 motherboard will overclock an I5/I7 chip as far as it will go on ambient cooling. My Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 overclocked my I5 2500k to 5.3 on Air, not bad for a $130.00 board, at the time.
This has been answered already see above.

The 2500K still had less of a heat problem because it was 32 nm and didn't have the TIM problem that the 22 no Haswell and Ivy Bridge processors had. With an average 4770K, should I be able to hit 4.5 GHz? Is overlocking an Intel chip much different from AMD? Should I spend the extra $$$ for the 4790K? Thanks!

Should I spend the extra $$$ for the 4790K? Thanks!

No one really knows if the DC with newer type TIM is really going to do that much better for the money. I read a review posted late at night from overseas while everyone was still in the Intel thread about "what will haswell Refresh have?" and in that review the 4790K of theirs would not do over 4.4Ghz. The review said they would have to wait until more cpus showed up and a trend was SEEN as to whether his was just a shetty cpu. There again buying cpus is like rolling the dice. You can be lucky or n0t.

Original Hazewell ES cpus mostly did 5.0Ghz or close but the 'actual' retail cpus mostly would not even get close to that with normal type cooling. Now Intel says they will REfresh Hazewell and get us some more go juice. Only a real lapse in time and real world users reports will tell what DC really is for the average user. I would not bet shett on DC now. Not until they are in retail for real and users are reporting the 'real deal'.
RGone...

The 2500K still had less of a heat problem because it was 32 nm and didn't have the TIM problem that the 22 no Haswell and Ivy Bridge processors had.
My point wasn't about the cpu but the $130.00 board overclocking it.
With an average 4770K, should I be able to hit 4.5 GHz?
From what I've seen on this forum not many will do 4.5 for a 24/7 OC and the few that are on really good cooling.

Should I spend the extra $$$ for the 4790K?
You're call, do the research on the non ES Cpu's and see if it's worth it.

Rgone:
Original Hazewell ES cpus mostly did 5.0Ghz or close but the 'actual' retail cpus mostly would not even get close to that with normal type cooling. Now Intel says they will REfresh Hazewell and get us some more go juice. Only a real lapse in time and real world users reports will tell what DC really is for the average user. I would not bet shett on DC now. Not until they are in retail for real and users are reporting the 'real deal'.
RGone...
QFT Gonester QFT!!!!!

No one really knows if the DC with newer type TIM is really going to do that much better for the money. I read a review posted late at night from overseas while everyone was still in the Intel thread about "what will haswell Refresh have?" and in that review the 4790K of theirs would not do over 4.4Ghz. The review said they would have to wait until more cpus showed up and a trend was SEEN as to whether his was just a shetty cpu. There again buying cpus is like rolling the dice. You can be lucky or n0t.

RGone...

So from these trends, the 4790K is not worth it?

For gaming if you want to save money get the I5 4670 or 4690! Most games will not utilize more then 4 cores.

As I said earlier in the thread, this isn't all for gaming... I am doing a lot of rendering and need 8 cores. That is the main reason I need to get rid of my 8320 - it lacks in rendering.

Edit: It is also as a futureproof alongside faster rendering.

Last edited:
As I said earlier in the thread, this isn't all for gaming... I am doing a lot of rendering and need 8 cores. That is the main reason I need to get rid of my 8320 - it lacks in rendering.

Edit: It is also as a futureproof alongside faster rendering.

It may depend on the software used but I know that these FX CPUs are a beast when it comes to video work, I do Bluray work and I know RGone does a lot of video as well and is quite happy with the work his does.

Back