• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEED OPINIONS!!!!!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yolomcswagger

Hello there people of the internet!:welcome:
SO, I've been thinking of a new build cuz my current one is old.PENTIUM 4 OLD.
I've (after lots of frustration:bang head: and hair pulling) compiled a list of components and would LOVE to hear your opinions.

MOBO-MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Motherboard
Processor-Intel 3.4 GHz LGA1150 4670K i5 4th Generation Processor(I'll probably overclock it to 4.5<)
GPU-Sapphire AMD/ATI Dual-X R9 270X 4GB Graphic Card
PSU-Corsair CS750M
Storage-Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
RAM-Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) (I'll buy two of these i think)
Cooling- 1.Corsair H100i Cooler
2.BitFenix Spectre Pro LED Green 120mm Case Fan X 4
Cabinet-Corsair 300r Windowed

And please suggest some good monitors please.

So, that's about it I guess.Every single suggestion and/or opinion will be taken into consideration.Thanks in advance.:D

Let's see..

First, Welcome!!! :)

Go z97 instead of Z87 as broadwell (2015) will be a drop in upgrade.
Go 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 @ 1.5v

Gaming at 1080p? I'd want a better GPU personally... what is your budget?

The total budget is what I was looking for. ;)

Id try to get a 280x/GTX 760 in that budget for a 1080p gaming machine.

I can do these-
1.ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 760 4 GB
2.Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 280X 3 GB
I can do these only cuz they're on sale.

i.e. discount.

Either or. I think I would choose the r9 280x though as it has a bit more horsepower than the 760.

Yes, I understand the word 'sale'. :p

You will not want 1440p with a 280x... if you want 1440p your budget will need to grow a lot more.

As far as monitors, nope. Not a monitor guy. We do however have a monitor section and this question has been asked tons of times before. So check that section out while you wait for someone here. ;)

I agree 100% with ED: You definitely want a Z97 motherboard as it will save money should you ever wish to upgrade to Broadwell.

The remainder should be based on use as well as budget. Since I've always used nVidia products, I feel a GTX 760, or AMD equivalent, should be bare minimum for 1080p.

Good luck with your build and don't forget to have fun.

The remainder should be based on use as well as budget. Since I've always used nVidia products, I feel a GTX 760, or AMD equivalent, should be bare minimum for 1080p.

A 750Ti would also work if you are on a budget. I game on a 2560 x 1440 monitor with an overclocked ASUS GTX 750Ti (1410 MHz boost after BIOS mod), Skyrim on ultra settings (It is an old game, but hey! :) ).

No way would I go that low, especially considering he has the available budget. 750ti is a decent 1080p card, nothing higher without sacrificing some IQ settings in a lot of titles (be it AA, or just plain old IQ).

I can do these-
1.ZOTAC NVIDIA GTX 760 4 GB
2.Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon R9 280X 3 GB
I can do these only cuz they're on sale.

i.e. discount.

Take the 280X. Absolutely. Will make quite a difference over a 270X in gaming performance.

Also, I recommend Noctua's NHD14 over Corsair's H100i. And you want a Z97 board, not Z87. 97 is the new chipset that just came out and supports future CPUs (broadwell/devil's canyon) which is good for you in the future.

I URGE you not to get a 750Ti. It is not a high performance card. It is equivalent to a bit less than a GTX 570, which was a just-above-midrange card from 2010. Insert sad face. :(. Don't buy it.

e.

I URGE you not to get a 750Ti. It is not a high performance card. It is equivalent to a bit less than a GTX 570, which was a just-above-midrange card from 2010. Insert sad face. :(. Don't buy it.

He said budget, which I assumed to be sub $150, hence the recommendation. :-/

Hello there people of the internet!:welcome:
SO, I've been thinking of a new build cuz my current one is old.PENTIUM 4 OLD.
I've (after lots of frustration:bang head: and hair pulling) compiled a list of components and would LOVE to hear your opinions.

MOBO-MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING Motherboard
Processor-Intel 3.4 GHz LGA1150 4670K i5 4th Generation Processor(I'll probably overclock it to 4.5<)
GPU-Sapphire AMD/ATI Dual-X R9 270X 4GB Graphic Card
PSU-Corsair CS750M
Storage-Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
RAM-Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) (I'll buy two of these i think)
Cooling- 1.Corsair H100i Cooler
2.BitFenix Spectre Pro LED Green 120mm Case Fan X 4
Cabinet-Corsair 300r Windowed

And please suggest some good monitors please.

So, that's about it I guess.Every single suggestion and/or opinion will be taken into consideration.Thanks in advance.:D

Welcome to the forum.

The motherboard is good, I've seen some good reviews on it. Processor is good as well.

The PSU I'd swap out the CS750M for an HX750 instead. The HX750 just seems like a better power supply and has a better warranty (5 years on HX series vs. 3 years on the CSM series). And at Newegg in the USA it is only $10 more, so not a major increase in price as far as budget is concerned.

As far as storage, I might recommend getting a smaller (Solid State or Hard Disk) drive for the OS, and then using the large 1TB drive for storage. 1TB and larger drives tend to slow down access times and lower performance when used as the boot drive/primary system drive.

The R9 270X is more of a mid-range card from what I understand, so an R9 280X might be better on the AMD side or GTX 670 or GTX 760 (GTX 670 has slight advantage in performance over GTX 760 for same or lower price, so may be worth seeking out one on the used market) on the Nvidia side would be more suitable if your budget can allow.

I would recommend a larger case personally, as the 300R is a bit small and cramped, which can result in restricted airflow and excess heat to be trapped. Assuming you have a preference for Corsair, I'd say a 650D might be a better option.

Let's see..

First, Welcome!!! :)

Go z97 instead of Z87 as broadwell (2015) will be a drop in upgrade.
Go 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 @ 1.5v

Gaming at 1080p? I'd want a better GPU personally... what is your budget?

Is Z97 really that much of a performance upgrade over Z87 though? I know it's a slight revamp with same socket type and some new features.

Would it really be worth it though for the performance difference between the current Haswell platform and the new Broadwell platform (when it comes out)? Usually performance differences from old architecture to one step newer is only ~5-10% historically speaking, assuming that Broadwell doesn't bring with it some massive increase in performance for some reason.

R9 280X is equivalent more to a 770 than a 760...

I would recommend a larger case personally, as the 300R is a bit small and cramped, which can result in restricted airflow and excess heat to be trapped. Assuming you have a preference for Corsair, I'd say a 650D might be a better option.

Smaller cases do not restrict airflow in the least. the smaller the case, the faster fresh air gets from point A to B in the case. You will get the same temps in a properly ventilated small case as large case.

Is Z97 really that much of a performance upgrade over Z87 though? I know it's a slight revamp with same socket type and some new features.

Would it really be worth it though for the performance difference between the current Haswell platform and the new Broadwell platform (when it comes out)? Usually performance differences from old architecture to one step newer is only ~5-10% historically speaking, assuming that Broadwell doesn't bring with it some massive increase in performance for some reason.

The point is that you always buy the latest platform. You don't buy the old chipset when the new chipset is available. Z97 boards (many of them) have SATA express. They also support devil's canyon and broadwell. If you can get a board, for roughly the same money, that isn't a dead end for CPU upgrades, vs one that is, why would you buy the dead end? It doesn't make any sense. Will the OP likely upgrade to broadwell? No. Will he ever use a SATA Express drive? Quite possibly. Why close the door to future possibilities?

R9 280X is equivalent more to a 770 than a 760...

The point is that you always buy the latest platform. You don't buy the old chipset when the new chipset is available. Z97 boards (many of them) have SATA express. They also support devil's canyon and broadwell. If you can get a board, for roughly the same money, that isn't a dead end for CPU upgrades, vs one that is, why would you buy the dead end? It doesn't make any sense. Will the OP likely upgrade to broadwell? No. Will he ever use a SATA Express drive? Quite possibly. Why close the door to future possibilities?

I'm sorry, I went with what EarthDog said on that one, because I assumed he knew what he was talking about.

I can think of at least one instance where one might buy an older chipset when a new chipset is available.

If the older chipset board is within budget, but the newer one is not I would buy the older board.

If the older chipset has support for some accessory (sound card, headset, webcam, etc) but the new chipset has no support for it, then buying the older chipset makes sense.

I am myself in the process of piecing together an LGA1155/Z77 build. Sure LGA1150/Z87 was out when I started, but parts for the Z77 option were considerably cheaper (board only cost me ~$35). Plus it's not like LGA1150 offers an earth-shattering difference in performance versus a 3570K or 3770K.

Last edited:

Performance wouldn't be the reason to get Z97 chipset. The ability to drop in Broadwell is. ;)

I'm sorry, I went with what EarthDog said on that one, because I assumed he knew what he was talking about.
LOL, I do. I didn't say anything that was not factually correct...I mentioned the 280x has 'a bit more horsepower than a 760'.

Back