• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Intel Xeon E5420 SLANV CPU on core 2 duo motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

acrilex

Hello,

Do you think I can run this cpu: Intel Xeon E5420 SLANV CPU on an asus p5bw-la (HP OEM board). I know this is a 1333mhz cpu, but I searched and it appears it doesn't mather. What I really wanna know is if this line on HP's website:

CPU/Processor
Socket: 775
Supports the following processors:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6x00 with Dual Core technology (Conroe core)
Pentium D 9x0 series Dual Core (Presler)
Pentium D 8xx series (Smithfield)
Pentium 4 6x1 series (Cedar Mill core)
Pentium 4 6xx series (Prescott core)
Pentium 4 5xx series (Prescott core)CPU/Processor
Pentium 4 5xx series (Prescott core)
Pentium 4 LGA-775 HT (Prescott core)

It says that the best supported CPU is c2d E6x00. Can I still put the Xeon with a 771 to 775 mod on the motherboard or will it refuse to boot?

Do you think it is blocked in the BIOS, or is it a hardware limitation? I don't see any limitation of any kind. Normally core 2 quad CPUs or supported on Core 2 Duo socket

it wont work its a 1333 chip that is a 1066 motherboard.

I know, but apparently if we look at many places it shouldn't mather. The only remaining thing is maybe the 45 nm problem. The original cpu is 65nm, but i looked and only a bios upgrade should do the job. Do you think it will do it?

1066 motherboard will not support a 1333 cpu.
trust me ive tried it.
wont work
nope.
i have a couple boards at home they are 1066 max, try to put a e6750 or xeon e5345 in them, nope wont work. they are 1333 chips. 1066 boards creek and cry like school girls when they are forced to take a 1333 they just cannot take that much.

I found this one too: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Will it work? This is a little more expensive, but should do the job.

Tank you very much! I will further see with bios-mods forum if it doesn't work because of bios problem.

Hello,

Do you think I can run this cpu: Intel Xeon E5420 SLANV CPU on an asus p5bw-la (HP OEM board). I know this is a 1333mhz cpu, but I searched and it appears it doesn't mather. What I really wanna know is if this line on HP's website:

CPU/Processor
Pentium 4 5xx series (Prescott core)CPU/Processor
Pentium 4 5xx series (Prescott core)

It says that the best supported CPU is c2d E6x00. Can I still put the Xeon with a 771 to 775 mod on the motherboard or will it refuse to boot?

Looks like the board don't even support 45 nm. :(

Looks like it may basically be a Q9450 with the multi at 7.5 instead of 8.0.

Last edited:
I was talking about how some Xeons were basically the same thing as 775, but with a pin or 2.....

And yes, that's a Yorkfield.

all 771 xeons are the same as their 775 counterparts some 65nm some 45nm and they only have two pins different along with their alignment in the socket, they make a sticker thing that sticks on the bottom to swap the two pins around i have an e5345 xeon running in a 775 board but it supports 1333fsb cpu's.

Last edited:
Back