• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop AMD APU and dedicated GPU interfering?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muffinffs

Hello,
Here are some questions/thoughts about my laptop hardware:
I got a relatively new (Gaming/Medium end) laptop with the following specs:

• Proc: AMD A4-5150M APU (with Radeon HD 8350G integrated)
  • Dedicated GPU: Radeon HD 8600 series
  • RAM: 8Gb
  • AMD Catalyst Control Center version: 2014.0417.2226.38446

This is a very powerful budget laptop as I am gaming alot on my pastime.
The problem I have is the two GPUs, When gaming I have no idea which one is being used and when I tried to check with MSI Afterburner it showed 5(!) GPUs with different usage and temp. graphs(though they seem to have quite similar data in them all). And MSI does actually find my Radeon HD 8600 series GPU(though I cannot overclock it without customizing some settings).

When I then checked MSI Kombustor (2.5.2) it only found my 8350G and when running tests the GPU Load/Usage is fixed at 0% most of the time(it might jump to about 10% occationally). And on the "menu" in kombustor, I can only see my 8350G GPU as GPU1, and N/A as GPU2.

One last thing; I reinstalled my drivers today to a newer version and now I can see 4 8350G GPUs (But no 8600 series) when I right click the CC icon in the tray.

I tried with disabling the 8350G in device manager but that makes kombustor crash when I start a test.

In Furmark I can see both GPUs and when testing it uses the 8600 series as expected.

A few questions:

1. How can I know which GPU is used when I am gaming? is it always defaulting to the dedicated one?

2. Why cant kombustor find my 8600 series when furmark does? Will this affect my games in that they choose the slower 8350G?

3. I have been thinking about overclocking my 8600 series and I'd like to know if it can give some noticable performance without overheating?(Power is no problem since I have my pc plugged in mostly)​

I'm not familiar with the AMD-party graphics, but I do have an Intel/nVidia combination, which is similar to what you run. Any options to configure what graphics card gets used should be decided by the AMD (GPU) settings. I have options in my nVidia control panel to select which video card gets used with what programs. I can also temporarily disable the nVidia card to save power.

From my understanding on how the integrated/discrete cards work, the integrated will always show as the video card to programs. But when there is enough load (or a certain program runs), it will pass that program to the discrete.

Try to view the cards with GPU-Z, mine shows both:

JeRP5hB.png

Back