• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who says Neweggs CS is in the toilet?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, I figure I owe Newegg some good publicity for this.

The other day I ordered a cheap 2.5" drive USB case to toss an older laptop drive in. An hour or two later I realized I had one in the basement that I forgotten about, but at that point the order had already been sent to the warehouse and the "cancel order" option had disappeared from the account page. I went on to the customer support chat site (surprised someone was actually manning it the Friday night before Memorial Day weekend) and spent a few minutes talking to them. The woman I was talking to said she added a note to the order and that's really all she could do. I figured that was the end of it, if it shipped then it shipped, which it did on Tuesday.

That afternoon I got an emailing apologizing that it had shipped, despite the added note, and when it gets dropped off I shouldn't accept the delivery and email them when it gets sent back.

But since I got the cheap mailing option and USPS walked it through the final step, the mailman put it in the mailbox with the rest of the mail. So this morning I emailed them back thanking them and saying I figured it wasn't worth the shipping to return it. Just now I received a gift card from them that (almost) covered the cost of the case. I wasn't really expecting it, I ordered the case, didn't cancel it in time, and I fully take the blame. I would have understood if they told me to buzz off after the first email.

So there you go. Since I've seen the occasional post about having a bad CS experience from Newegg, I thought I'd toss in a good review.

That's pretty cool!

I have always had a good experience with Newegg CS... I have only had to use them a few times, but they have been awesome.

I've always had good experience with Newegg CS. Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

Wow...so you have a new case at a fraction of the cost in the end?

Yeah, you can say that. Thing was only $7 in the first place, which is kind of why I was kind of indifferent if it shipped out in the end.

And I guess the problem wasn't as big as I thought. I seem to recall somewhere there was a growing number of complaints that support requests were going unanswered or being completely unhelpful. Guess it was the typical case of a real small group being overly vocal.

My experience has been positive as well.

Wanted to send a fan filter back and the restocking fee was more than what the filter was worth. They waived the restocking fee.

Nice to have someone post about a positive experience. Thanks freak, I have had good luck with newegg Cs as well.

Most of my experiences with Newegg are positive. But late last year I bought an open box motherboard that arrived with obviously bent pins. Not only did I have to pay to ship it back, when they processed my refund it was also minus what they originally charged me in shipping.

I lost about twenty bucks on that deal, and I've been less enthusiastic about shopping there since. If I can get something for a similar price on Amazon, I will.

I think in general their customer service is one of the best out there. I've read some scenarios that went sour but in all reality they're still a business and can only meet the customer so far, otherwise they wouldn't be as big as they are.

/edit

I myself had a really great experience lately where they instantly replied with an offer to credit me the price difference on a part they discounted days after i bought it.

Well, I figure I owe Newegg some good publicity for this.

The other day I ordered a cheap 2.5" drive USB case to toss an older laptop drive in. An hour or two later I realized I had one in the basement that I forgotten about, but at that point the order had already been sent to the warehouse and the "cancel order" option had disappeared from the account page. I went on to the customer support chat site (surprised someone was actually manning it the Friday night before Memorial Day weekend) and spent a few minutes talking to them. The woman I was talking to said she added a note to the order and that's really all she could do. I figured that was the end of it, if it shipped then it shipped, which it did on Tuesday.

That afternoon I got an emailing apologizing that it had shipped, despite the added note, and when it gets dropped off I shouldn't accept the delivery and email them when it gets sent back.

But since I got the cheap mailing option and USPS walked it through the final step, the mailman put it in the mailbox with the rest of the mail. So this morning I emailed them back thanking them and saying I figured it wasn't worth the shipping to return it. Just now I received a gift card from them that (almost) covered the cost of the case. I wasn't really expecting it, I ordered the case, didn't cancel it in time, and I fully take the blame. I would have understood if they told me to buzz off after the first email.

So there you go. Since I've seen the occasional post about having a bad CS experience from Newegg, I thought I'd toss in a good review.

Hi OP,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We're happy to see that everything worked out. We are certainly aware that there is always room for improvement and be assured we are prepared to resolve any issues that may arise.

Most of my experiences with Newegg are positive. But late last year I bought an open box motherboard that arrived with obviously bent pins. Not only did I have to pay to ship it back, when they processed my refund it was also minus what they originally charged me in shipping.

I lost about twenty bucks on that deal, and I've been less enthusiastic about shopping there since. If I can get something for a similar price on Amazon, I will.

Supertrucker, we apologize for your experience with that return. Did you contact our Customer Service department? We can issue a pre-paid shipping label if you receive a defective or damaged item. Please email us your account information to [email protected]; we'll be happy to review the options to get this resolved.

We look forward to hear from you.

Well now, isn't that the feather!

CS flows from many directions. I placed an order last night, got my confirmation, invoicing and tracking info this a.m. That's CS too. I've been blessed never to have damaged product arrive and my UPS dude always hands off squared away boxes where I expect that to be one of the most likely interactions for damage.

I'd be interested in seeing Newegg's internal numbers for line items shipped, lines returned and a breakout of how many by damage vs. mis-ordering, etc. I'll bet a burrito that the % is pretty small.

I'm glad they handled that so well. And good on you for accepting it was your mistake. It's nice when things work out like that. People make mistakes and it's understandable. :thup:

The one time I dealt with Newegg Cs, it was more the fault of UPS and less their fault. It was just a pain because I ordered a board and it shipped (but then got rerouted back to the shipping facility). And when the board returned, it was OoS so I couldn't reorder. But everything worked out in the end.

Don't mind me here if I may add about my experiences with the egg.

I had 2 different orders that I had to call in for. Ironically this all happened last year. One was a 5 port gigabite switch that came in with the seals broken. It was on sale for $19.99 from $29.99 I believe at the time but was slashed from $59.99. I called it in and told what I had in front of me and took my word for it rightfully so. I could turn in it for a full refund or I can get a open item (which it was) discounted price for $9.99. I felt the open item price was fair and kept it. Still haven't used it yet. lol My other order was at a much more premium price, was a GTX 780 Hydro Copper. It also came in with the seals broken without the plastic covering of the EVGA box, I kid you not, with the front plastic covers missing from the front of the GPU and the rear plastic looked as if it was reapplied on with air bubbles showing everywhere.

These calls were done almost as soon as I got the shipping in on the say day around the time period. I got a full refund along with the shipping and was told to not bother returning the game codes that came with it.

I've purchased $$$$ from the egg and I can only say from a few hiccups that the CS is 5 star. I like shopping on the egg if I need main components mainly because they usually beat competitors pricing, easy to track and great CS support. :salute:

Edit: I forgot to add if it wasn't for the return of the 780 HC I wouldn't have had the love affair I do now with the classified. How ironically things work. Mind you the 780 HC refund happened in Spring and I held on all the way till August for the 780 Classy.

Last edited:
I think NewEgg CS is great, only run into trouble when it comes to RMAing a motherboard that comes in with bent pins, they enjoy blaming the customer for CID. So much so that in the past I've had to have them send me replacement boards, they then charge my card and then I of course talk to the bank and have them reverse the bs charge. This is a repeat process that has happened more than once with them refusing the original board return so I end up with 2 boards, and forcefully remove their second board charge.

Haven't had an account suspended, so I assume they realize when a customer receives something DOA, it needs to be replaced. Just wish they were more like Amazon and didn't make you jump through hoops.

Aside from that mobo drama, which is really nothing new, they have a great customer support setup. Very friendly staff, prompt to resolve issues, etc. I'd agree with Jack, 5stars.

Very friendly staff, prompt to resolve issues, etc. I'd agree with Jack, 5stars.

Another bonus is they are from the states. You understand them and most importantly they understand you, unlike other CS where you feel like you're talking to someone who's reading you a book for bedtime. Pun intended, I almost fell asleep once, I think.

Only have 1 time in all my purchases with New Egg where I needed to use the customer service dept. I ordered a new mid tower case it came and looked like it had taken some lumps on the trip. After opening some small tabs were broken off is that hold the top part of the case in place. I tried to make it work as I hate paying the return shipping especially on a large item like a case. My efforts just did not work out. I had to send it back. So I get on the phone and get the process going.

The CS agent sent me a pre printed label for my broken case and overnighted me a new case. She told me it was late but she would get it shipped that same night. When the UPS man came the next day I had a new case and he took my broken case with him.

Awesome :D

They could probably just tell people to take it up with ups if they felt like it. As long as it left their warehouse in good shape they did their part.

Back