• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgrading a Server 03 fileserver.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gangaskan

so i'm looking to upgrade a file / print server here at work and i'm looking at this

Virtual enviorment : Vcenter 5.5 3 node cluster close to 40TB san storage

server OS 2012 datacenter

replacing 2003

what do i need to do in order to make the smoothest transition possible?

the new OS is up, and i have production stuff running on it now, but i want to move the ISCSI Lun's over as well as all the shares / printers to reap the benefits of data dedup :bday:

can i disjoin the old server 03 box and make a new AAA record for the new 2012 box to match the old server hostname?

basically i want to move this over a weekend, but not have to re create everyone's folder shares. :clap: am i on the right track?

How are the shares mapped? If it is with a Logon script then change the logon script to point to the new server. Something else you should put in place is DFS. That way the next time you need to do this or need to add another server you can do it with out having to worry about changing where users connect to.

Back