• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overheating ATI Radeon HD 5570

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MufinMcFlufin

I recently went to a convention and while away from the convention, shut down my computer so it wouldn't be wasting power while I'm away. When I came back, I started up a few games, noticed that I wasn't getting quite the FPS I was before, and noticed that my 5570's temperatures were significantly higher than they usually were. I didn't pay much mind to it, and as I was really getting into my games, my desktop suddenly shut down. Blank screen, no BSOD, only thing that was happening was my monitors were swapping back and forth looking for a new signal to swap to.

I waited a minute or two, then started my computer back up. Everything booted fine, which was odd, because I was expecting at the very least a windows start-up error telling me that the machine unexpectedly shut down and to ask if I wanted to start up in safe mode. No such message appeared, and the machine loaded up Win7 without a hitch. No error message on my taskbar, no error log, absolutely normal, as if I had just started back up after a normal shut down.

I decided at the time to go to sleep, but later on I went back to my games, this time keeping an eye on my graphics settings, and GPU usage. Playing Minecraft with some of the lowest settings, instead of my usual all highest settings, I noticed I was getting lower frames-per-second than I usually get with highest settings. Eventually feeling that it was running fine for a while now, I set a few of the settings a little higher, and within 15 minutes crashed again.

Tried once more, and I made sure to keep an eye on temperature this time, and noticed immediately that my GPU's running very hot. When I return to the computer after a night's sleep, it'll be idling at 74C, and when running minecraft with the lowest settings and nothing else intensive running on my computer, the temperature stays around 94C.

I'm very used to constantly monitoring my processor's temperatures, however I've never needed to monitor my GPU's temperatures before, so I have no idea how it was doing temperature-wise before I left for the convention, however this is an issue that only started up since I left. I also looked a bit into the issue on google, and saw most people saying their 5570 idles around 30's to 40's celsius, and under load peaks at 50's to 60's celsius, so there seems to be something very wrong with how mine is dispersing heat.

Now to the actual questions. I would like to get my machine to the point where it doesn't crash when under load. I've seen someone's solution as getting a PCIE fan to put underneath the GPU to suck out the hot air better, but I feel like that's only treating a symptom and not really dealing with the underlying issue.

I've also heard that it may be the fan or the heatsink for the GPU. I have canned air and have cleaned the GPU itself out a bit, so there shouldn't be anything clogging it.

I've also heard that it could be that the thermal paste from the heatsink may have dried up. I have extra thermal paste from installing a new heatsink on my CPU from a few years ago, so if I need to replace the thermal paste that may not be a problem, but I wouldn't know exactly how to do that. Also noob-ish remark, but I wouldn't know if the stuff goes bad or not after like a year.

And last thing I have considered, is it may simply be time to replace it and not be worth the trouble to fix. When I got it, it was described as a relatively powerful GPU for how light-weight it is, so I wouldn't have to worry about getting an extremely powerful PSU for it, but I've noticed as time goes by it has a harder and harder time being able to keep up with progressing graphics, so this may just be the time to junk it for a new one.

If this is the case, I may have a receipt for it somewhere, and I usually buy 3 year accidental-coverage warranties for all my parts, so I may be able to return it since it's overheating so much and just use that towards getting a much better one, but if not, then I may not be able to get a much better GPU, as I don't have much spare money.

What do you guys think could be the problem and the solution? Let me know if you need any additional information about anything.

EDIT: Considering no one really seemed all to eager to offer any insight, and considering I found a great deal on an ATI Radeon R7 250, I no longer need help with this issue.

Last edited:
Is the fan still spinning on the card? Try reapplying and remount your heatsink.

Our apologies for not getting to the post in a timely manner man... :(

Glad you found a replacement as that GPU is a bit old and long in the tooth anyway.

I'm not sure if the gpu would still work, but after I took it out, I noticed there was a lot of dust stuck in it that I couldn't see before taking it out. It may have clogged the fan up enough to stop it from moving, so that may be what the issue was.

Either way, the new R7 250 doesn't actually seem to be all too much better than my old 5570, and at times I swear it's worse, which baffles me, because I was under the impression that getting the R7 250 was going to be a vast improvement.

It should be an improvement, sure... I take it you installed the latest drivers, or if so, maybe rolled back to a earlier version?

Back