• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

opinions on a pump/resi combo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CGfreak102

Registered
Hey folks,
Got some great suggestions and help on my first custom water cooling setup, and that one is still rocking fine with no issues or maintenance needed. aside from replacing the cheap crappy fans i got first.

My next project is taking place threw my work (i work at a major computer repair shop in milwaukee). A customer brought in his server due to thermal events, after redoing the thermal paste, the issue was still present. Turns out his pump had died, tearing everything apart and just plugging in the pump, it would not make a peep.

Anyways, he has dual xeon 54xx's and his north bridge was in the loop too. Trying to find an aftermarket passive heat sink for his north bridge is impossible. His board is the intel skulltrail.

What i proposed to the customer was to re-build his water cooling setup, and he agreed. Not alot of room in his cosmos case with all his hard drives and a few optical drive. Not even an open space for a single bay resi. So i need a pump and resi combo that will fit inside a spot usually taken up by a 120mm fan on the bottom. I will also be using his old CPU and NB blocks, and they are stuck with 1/4" ID barbs.

Heres my parts list:
a1l5hk.png.jpg

I am unsure which of the following pump/resi combo will work best. Height is not a huge issue.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=39612
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=38855
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=39909

I just want to make sure those pumps will be able to handle the following setup.

2r53k2s.jpg

I plan right now to do either the first pump/resi, or the third one.

Let me know your thoughts, no overclocking will be taking place, just cooling stock parts.

Thanks
-CGfreak102

Last edited:
Just realize the fans speed will depend on what FPI count is purchased. The higher the FPI the higher the RPM which would increase in noise levels. The lower the FPI the lower the RPM, etc.

Make sure there is room for said rad in the case. A dual or triple should be ok for those stock 130w xenons. 120.3 should give you better temps and lower noise levels if the rad again is a low FPI count and some nice push or pull premium rad fans like the Noiseblocker e-Loops or if on a budget the Swiftech Helix120s.

As for tubing I would advise in the Primochill Advanced LRT.

Pump/res combos, there's lots of them. Here's pages of res/pump combo's. If redundancy is needed for whatever work this rig will be doing than you could go with dual pumps for added security.

Not familiar with the NB on those dual CPU boards but you should be able to just water cool the CPU's and thats it. As long as there's good air flow in the case should take care of it. Positive pressure would be ideal for this setup. Some good performing blocks like the XSPC Raystorm or the Swiftech Apogee XL would be ideal since they both also come at a more best bang for the buck.

Hope this helps and of course, distilled water and silver coil. :salute:

Back