• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me pick a 775 cpu for 1st cascade test

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Howdy Rowdies!!!

Am all excited....the cascade is scheduled to arrive tomorrow!!! YAY!! Already arranged for a buddy to come over in the evening to help me move it down to the benching area. I reckon to test on socket 775 as sandies seem to prefer closer to -50 than -100.

Still have to finish cold-prepping the REX (it's conformaled but still needs frostking, neoprene, etc) but would like your thoughts on which sku to load first for testing (and maybe even some bointage).

Have somewhere around 250 cpus to choose from covering most of the socket skus. None of them are tested by me yet. There are some definite gems (3rd place q6600, top 20 e8500, etc) in there but they aren't identified. Also have a number of ES chips.

One thought is to go low risk and pick an ancient pentium (picking a sku where I've got more than a couple of the same sku). If I blow it up, ah well, it only cost me about $2 so no biggie. Pretty sure I've got some like that that we haven't benched as a team yet (so at least there'd be some team points there). Another part of me wants to try to pick something that has a chance of being a rager and try to nail out some good boints. I know I've got 4 e8500 ES cpus...maybe one of those would be good?

Really not sure which way to go so welcome any suggestions you may have as to which sku to try first.

Thanks as always!!

Last edited:
e8500 would be a good test for it :thup:

Glad to see you got your cold back

Speaking of cold .......... lol

Attachments

• 7 19 14.png
    7 19 14.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 136
Happy Thirst-Thursday Witchdoctor!
Yeah...kinda leaning that way but maybe an un-benched (by ocf), cheapo cpu might be better.

WOOHOO!!! Awesome 'flyer'!! Still have SOO much prep work but so excited that I'm almost peein' myself! hehehe

Since you put a disclaimer, may have to bring along an ancient, cold-prepped, modded vga card for us to extract maxi-hw boints or kill it trying hehe

Killing a vga card (by accident, of course) was somewhat fun...well...more entertaining than fun...but the billowing smoke filled the house and left a mean stink for a few days. Wife wasn't SO pleased with me that day ;P

I hear ya, part of the game though. Yea might be a good idea to throw a cheap one on first

here are the pics I promised, hope they are helpful.

Not sure what kinda of DDR2 stix you have, I have some PC2 9200 stix if they would be helpful hit me with your addy in a PM and I will send them out

Attachments

• 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 115
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 118
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Man!
Wish I could be there to take part in this. Maybe there's some benchers around here that would want to do something along these lines one day - I dunno but looks like you guys are certainly gonna have some fun. :thup:

I know if I were to blow something up, the wife wouldn't care since it would be out at the shack and not in here.

yea I am pumped up, not to oftened you get to bench with a fellow enthusiast,

We are going to be a blast freezing stuff all day :)

Thanks for the pics Witchdoctor! Wow...you just throw down the eraser and some chammy, huh? Since I tend to run relatively long (8-12 hour) sessions, figured it was prudent to waterproof for use with the cascade. Also thanks for the ddr2 offer but the rex is ddr3, have some pretty killer binned corsair sticks. As an aside...going to bring some (supposedly) monster 2933 sticks to (time allowing) freezenbeat.

Totally excited for the get-together. Not only will it be my first ln2, it's also the first time benching with anyone other than myself. We'll definitely have fun.

Too bad you're way down south Dr. McCoy...would love to pick your brains on older platform overclocking.

PS- your pics reminded me...gotta send in my z77 ocf for repair :/
More PS- That is one badass looking setup btw ;)

Last edited:
The 3.4GHz P4 (550 or 650) can be fun to abuse because they have the 17x & 14x multi. The 14x lets you go high FSB if that's what you wanna do.

Thanks JLK03F150. Thinking I may just go for the gusto and load up one of the e8500es chips first. Lemme look up the 2 you mentioned, though.
Thanks!

Update: Change of plans. Cascade was just delivered but when I opened the crate found some damage and a loose gauge (so all the gas has leaked out of it). Emailed, called and pm'd the builder...waiting to hear back. Upset would be a huge understatement of how I feel atm.

Oh man what a bumme, you've been waiting a long time for that monster. You must have been pissed!!

Update: Change of plans. Cascade was just delivered but when I opened the crate found some damage and a loose gauge (so all the gas has leaked out of it). Emailed, called and pm'd the builder...waiting to hear back. Upset would be a huge understatement of how I feel atm.

Ahh man, that is a total drag bro. hate shipping those things, USP more times than not manages to eff up fragile shipments.

When do you get your SS back ?

No idea yet...builder hasn't given me an eta. Going to discuss that with him, as well.

At this rate you'll have to wait till the"Northeast Benching Extravaganza"
Great poster there WitchDoctor.

Update: Just spoke with the builder. He's sending me a tank of gas, regulator, hose, etc so I can refill that stage. Should be here toward the middle or end of next week so we'll see. He even said he'd drive up (from Atlanta!) if the need arises. Ss has an (as yet tbd) issue. He re-gassed it, it passed leak testing but idle/load temps (-47C/-38C) are well above where they should be (-53C/-47C)...might be the compressor :/

Think this weekend I'll cold-prep the 7970 matrix cards. Plan to follow Witchdoctor's guide but think I'll go with conformal rather than eraser (unless anyone think's that's a bad idea).

Last edited:
Back