Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How powerful does a drill have to be to drill through a case?

Like the title says.. I have a drill which is recharging right now, so I don't know if it'll drill through a steel case.
    Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

Senior Citizen (aka old fart) Silver's Avatar
    Yodums, get a titanium bit and it should sink nicely.

Xeons 1.6LV at 3.2Ghz
    3000+ (754) at 2.5Ghz
    2800+ (754) at 2.5Ghz
    P4 2.8C-478 at 3.4Ghz
    Celeron 315D at 3.4Ghz
    Celeron 310D at 3.0Ghz
    Celeron 335D at 3.7Ghz
    Celeron 315D at 2.8Ghz
    C2D E6300 at 3.2Ghz
    C2D E6300 at 3.0Ghz

FOLDING FOR TEAM 32 - 30.7 Ghz

Avatar by Shocker - Many Thanks Sir!

Hi Yodums
    If you are serious about drilling through a steel case I assume you mean a PC tower? Well because of the thickness of the case about .5-1.0mm thick it is best you have a pilot drill (about 2-3mm dia.) & open gradually to the size you want?
    If you are using a hole cutter/saw then again work up to the pilot size of that tool.
    If you are going in with a big cut- out (Jig Saw) use a hole about 8-9mm so as to fit in the jig saw blade & make sure the teeth are very fine.
    There are so many permutations depending on what you are trying to do?

Acko

what are you drilling..small hole?..or a big hole like a 80mm or 120mm hole with a hole saw?..I use a 5amp 750rpm drill...it does a very nice job ..but if its a small hole..then almost any decent drill will do the job

I have a 14.4 Volt Craftsman Drill, it drills one 92mm whole with my hole saw on one battery.

Well it got through the steel, just that it was too exhausting to do a full circle. I need to get a dremel or something.
    Peter Gibbons: Let me ask you something. When you come in on Monday, and you're not feelin' real well, does anyone ever say to you, 'Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays'?

Lawrence: No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man.

10 Year Badge
    Cordless drills really aren't such a hot option for the rigors of cutting a case. A regular powered drill is more the way to go. Of course, the 18.2v or 24v drills might have enough juice to do a good job, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Always one step ahead of jdmcnudgent Big Nuttz's Avatar
    Originally posted by Yodums
    Well it got through the steel, just that it was too exhausting to do a full circle. I need to get a dremel or something.
    I love my Dremel bro. Its worth the investment. I would just make sure you buy a corded one.
    My Rig--Asus P6T Deluxe--i7 920 @ 3.6--6144MB Corsair XMS--HD 4850

I can say from experience that the cheap small Dremels are not worth it. They may be fine for small hobby stuff but not for cutting into cases.

As far as fan holes, I consider myself quite good with the Dremel, but prefer a hole saw any day. This is what I work with.

1. Small Stuff Ė Nibbler
    2. Fan Holes Ė Hole Saw
    3. Big Holes (like windows) - Dremel

Cyber Cheesiest Senior cyber mouse45's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Originally posted by stool
    Cordless drills really aren't such a hot option for the rigors of cutting a case. A regular powered drill is more the way to go. Of course, the 18.2v or 24v drills might have enough juice to do a good job, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Well, I kinda have to disagree with you on that. Iíve done a lot of things with my two 18v DeWalt cordless drills that I wouldnít even think about doing with a regular corded one. Now donít get me wrong, a corded 5.4 amp drill (2500rpm) is fine for drilling small holes, but if youíre going to be drilling a lot of big holes and you really want some serious power (like 450 in./lbs of torque), than 18v or 24v is the way to go. I know thereíre expensive, but if you plan to do a lot of modding, or youíre just looking for a good drill, then an 18v is the way to go. Trust me on this. Iíve been doing construction work for some time now, and Iíve used a ton of different drills and they canít be beat. (umm, that is the DeWalt drills can't be beat).
    Rank by: Shadow “”

My Heatware

I get along fairly well with my 14V makita..it is a bit weak sometimes though.

Hmmm all I can say is that my Dremel is gathering dust after I discovered my jigsaw!!!

Last time I cut a hole in my case I used a 1/2" 8 amp Bosch hammer drill with a 4.5" DeWalt hole saw. I had no problems at all getting through.
    Forum Moderator

I got a 7.2v that does 500 RPM max and it cuts through my case no prob. Cases are only thin and don't take that much power to muscle through, your not drilling steel or concrete. An 24v is beyone overkill for a case. I have a 24v Hammer Drill and I wouldn't even think of sickin it on my case, it's rip it to shreds. Maybe something like 12v would do fine justice for your purpose.
    Multi VM/SMP Folding Guide | Ram Timing Guide | Folding working on Alzheimer's cure
    GPU Countdown to new years - Fold for a cure!
    Asus M3A79-T ~ Phenom 9850 ~ Cell Shock DDR-1066 ~ HIS HD4850
    Phenom 9850 Rank : PiFast (1st) | wPrime32 (1st) | wPrime1024 (1st) | SPi1M (1st) | SPi32M (2nd)

14v, 18v, 24v HA!!!!
    I'm fine with just a 9.6v....but I will admit I wish I had a 18 or 24. 9.6 is fine but I do end up having to break a sweat when drilling b/c I have to push a little. I think 9.6 is the minimum (personally)
    but clboertien says he can do it with 7.2. Maybe 7.2 is as low as you can go. But I agree 12v could be the happy medium.
    LianLi PC70
    Dual PIII 1.0@1.2 (7.5*160) on ABIT VP6
    768 PC-133
    Geforce 4 TI4200 310/580
    Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
    2x 40 GB Seagate 5400 w/Striping
    1x 80 GB Seagate 7200
    24X Yamaha CD-RW
    Sony 520GS 21"

10 Year Badge
    Originally posted by cack01
    14v, 18v, 24v HA!!!!
    I'm fine with just a 9.6v....but I will admit I wish I had a 18 or 24. 9.6 is fine but I do end up having to break a sweat when drilling b/c I have to push a little. I think 9.6 is the minimum (personally)
    but clboertien says he can do it with 7.2. Maybe 7.2 is as low as you can go. But I agree 12v could be the happy medium.

You my think youíre fine with a 9.6v, but you ainít!! j/k
    Like I said, you can drill holes with a small drill ok, but a bigger one will drill them much faster and with much less effort. The last blow hole I drilled in my case took me less than 40 seconds to do. A piece of cake for an 18v. Call me Tim Allen, but when it comes to tools, I like to have lots of power.

And BTW, thereís nothing wrong with small drills.

My Heatware

Originally posted by cyber mouse45

And BTW, thereís nothing wrong with small drills.
    SIZE doesn't matter its the motion of the bits.

My dad's birthday is tomorrow, so since it may be in my favor, I went out and got him a 18v drill...Now if only I had somethingaround me to drill. Long story short I will see soon enough if an 18v is all that great.

P.S. I think TIM would have a 24v
    LianLi PC70
    768 PC-133
    Geforce 4 TI4200 310/580
    1x 80 GB Seagate 7200
    24X Yamaha CD-RW
    Sony 520GS 21"

10 Year Badge

P.S. I think TIM would have a 24v
    No, I think he would have a 22 lbs, 15 amp SDS-Max Rotary Hammer Drill that can drill a 6 1/4" hole right through concrete.

My Heatware

Originally posted by cyber mouse45

No, I think he would have a 22 lbs, 15 amp SDS-Max Rotary Hammer Drill that can drill a 6 1/4" hole right through concrete.
    Nope, I think we are both wrong he would probably use a gas motor from a lawn mower and attach a bits at the end.
    LianLi PC70
    768 PC-133
    Geforce 4 TI4200 310/580
    1x 80 GB Seagate 7200
    24X Yamaha CD-RW
    Sony 520GS 21"

10 Year Badge

Nope, I think we are both wrong he would probably use a gas motor from a lawn mower and attach a bits at the end.
    LOL I think you're right.

My Heatware

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast