• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How powerful does a drill have to be to drill through a case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

Like the title says.. I have a drill which is recharging right now, so I don't know if it'll drill through a steel case.

Hi Yodums
If you are serious about drilling through a steel case I assume you mean a PC tower? Well because of the thickness of the case about .5-1.0mm thick it is best you have a pilot drill (about 2-3mm dia.) & open gradually to the size you want?
If you are using a hole cutter/saw then again work up to the pilot size of that tool.
If you are going in with a big cut- out (Jig Saw) use a hole about 8-9mm so as to fit in the jig saw blade & make sure the teeth are very fine.
There are so many permutations depending on what you are trying to do?

Acko

what are you drilling..small hole?..or a big hole like a 80mm or 120mm hole with a hole saw?..I use a 5amp 750rpm drill...it does a very nice job :D..but if its a small hole..then almost any decent drill will do the job

Well it got through the steel, just that it was too exhausting to do a full circle. I need to get a dremel or something.

Cordless drills really aren't such a hot option for the rigors of cutting a case. A regular powered drill is more the way to go. Of course, the 18.2v or 24v drills might have enough juice to do a good job, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Yodums said:
Well it got through the steel, just that it was too exhausting to do a full circle. I need to get a dremel or something.
I love my Dremel bro. Its worth the investment. I would just make sure you buy a corded one.:D

I can say from experience that the cheap small Dremels are not worth it. They may be fine for small hobby stuff but not for cutting into cases.

As far as fan holes, I consider myself quite good with the Dremel, but prefer a hole saw any day. This is what I work with.

1. Small Stuff – Nibbler
2. Fan Holes – Hole Saw
3. Big Holes (like windows) - Dremel

stool said:
Cordless drills really aren't such a hot option for the rigors of cutting a case. A regular powered drill is more the way to go. Of course, the 18.2v or 24v drills might have enough juice to do a good job, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Well, I kinda have to disagree with you on that. I’ve done a lot of things with my two 18v DeWalt cordless drills that I wouldn’t even think about doing with a regular corded one. Now don’t get me wrong, a corded 5.4 amp drill (2500rpm) is fine for drilling small holes, but if you’re going to be drilling a lot of big holes and you really want some serious power (like 450 in./lbs of torque), than 18v or 24v is the way to go. I know there’re expensive, but if you plan to do a lot of modding, or you’re just looking for a good drill, then an 18v is the way to go. Trust me on this. I’ve been doing construction work for some time now, and I’ve used a ton of different drills and they can’t be beat. :D (umm, that is the DeWalt drills can't be beat). :p :D

Last time I cut a hole in my case I used a 1/2" 8 amp Bosch hammer drill with a 4.5" DeWalt hole saw. I had no problems at all getting through. :D

I got a 7.2v that does 500 RPM max and it cuts through my case no prob. Cases are only thin and don't take that much power to muscle through, your not drilling steel or concrete. An 24v is beyone overkill for a case. I have a 24v Hammer Drill and I wouldn't even think of sickin it on my case, it's rip it to shreds. Maybe something like 12v would do fine justice for your purpose.

14v, 18v, 24v HA!!!!
I'm fine with just a 9.6v....but I will admit I wish I had a 18 or 24. 9.6 is fine but I do end up having to break a sweat when drilling b/c I have to push a little. I think 9.6 is the minimum (personally)
but clboertien says he can do it with 7.2. Maybe 7.2 is as low as you can go. But I agree 12v could be the happy medium.

cack01 said:
14v, 18v, 24v HA!!!!
I'm fine with just a 9.6v....but I will admit I wish I had a 18 or 24. 9.6 is fine but I do end up having to break a sweat when drilling b/c I have to push a little. I think 9.6 is the minimum (personally)
but clboertien says he can do it with 7.2. Maybe 7.2 is as low as you can go. But I agree 12v could be the happy medium.

You my think you’re fine with a 9.6v, but you ain’t!! :p j/k
Like I said, you can drill holes with a small drill ok, but a bigger one will drill them much faster and with much less effort. The last blow hole I drilled in my case took me less than 40 seconds to do. A piece of cake for an 18v. Call me Tim Allen, but when it comes to tools, I like to have lots of power. :D

And BTW, there’s nothing wrong with small drills. :)

cyber mouse45 said:

And BTW, there’s nothing wrong with small drills. :)

SIZE doesn't matter its the motion of the bits. :cool:

My dad's birthday is tomorrow, so since it may be in my favor, I went out and got him a 18v drill...Now if only I had somethingaround me to drill. Long story short I will see soon enough if an 18v is all that great.

P.S. I think TIM would have a 24v :D

cack01 said:

P.S. I think TIM would have a 24v :D

No, I think he would have a 22 lbs, 15 amp SDS-Max Rotary Hammer Drill that can drill a 6 1/4" hole right through concrete. :D :D :D

cyber mouse45 said:

No, I think he would have a 22 lbs, 15 amp SDS-Max Rotary Hammer Drill that can drill a 6 1/4" hole right through concrete. :D :D :D

Nope, I think we are both wrong he would probably use a gas motor from a lawn mower and attach a bits at the end.

Back