• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File backup/sync with verification?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

I'm putting together a seperate box to backup my ESXi file server which will be running Windows, and I am looking for a automated (I setup what/where/how once and it does it itself from then on) backup/sync program that will copy the files and verify that the source and copied files match (via SHA or MD5 for example). Since this will be over the network between 2 physical boxes, and the files will easily total in Terabytes worth of data, I'm hopeing someone knows of a server/client backup/sync software that can keep track of the file hashes on each individual physical box, so that when it comes time to do the backup/sync, it will just compare the hashes instead of actually reading the files over the network. This way, after the first backup/sync, any future backup/sync would take minutes instead of days to perform.

I can do a simple file sync and automated timed syncs with just SyncToy, but file verification would have to be done manually. Most of what I found simply verifies that the backup is valid, but doesn't verify if the backed up file matches the source.

I was originally searching for 'backup sync file verification sha md5', yada yada yada, in Google. After typing the original post up, I got to thinking of other searches to do. Going back to Google, I searched for 'server client backup'. Lo and behold the first link seems very promising, with UrBackup offering a "paranoid" option that will verify file hashes. Going to test it out and see if it fits the bill.

Back