• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD on Windows 7 ntfs.sys file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

One of the laptops at work keeps getting a BSOD whenever trying to load into windows or even safe mode. I checked the RAM out with memtest86 and it came out fine. Since the hiren's CD i was using didn't seem to have a HDD diagnostic tool, I tried ultimate boot CD but that also fails to even load the boot CD (very odd). Do you think the HDD is going bad on this laptop or it's the mobo or something else? It's a Lenovo V570 with i5 cpu and 6GB memory and 750GB WD hdd.

IMG_20140607_104345_zps410763dd.jpg

Ok I digged further into Hiren's boot CD under DOS tools and found WD Lifeguard Diagnostics. No errors came up for the HDD when I did the quick and extended tests. Maybe just the OS got corrupted?

Hiren's also has great utility called mini xp, you can use it copy anything you want from the hard drive before you do a fresh install.

Hiren's also has great utility called mini xp, you can use it copy anything you want from the hard drive before you do a fresh install.

I actually tried this and received the bsod message when trying to load Mini XP also. I found a old Knoppix live CD and used that instead to backup some files. Before I reformat, I'll wait a little longer to see if anyone else has another suggestions other than reformatting. :D

That 50 code is usually ram. Test more. Just sayin.....:)
Especially if you can't even load UBCD. That just screams ram error to me.

^ Agree, still good to check on RAM.

You could also try running chkdsk on your Windows partition to see if it comes up with any errors. I would make sure you're at stock settings (not overclocking anything) first. Usually those errors have to do with OC stability.

Back