• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Devil's Canyon or Haswell-DT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Also, on installing this, should my fans be touching the case or the radiator? I have heard that both are better than the other, but with the fans on the case, the radiator can be cleaned easier, but what worries me is the heat that it may radiate to the motherboard components. Fitting an H105 will definitely be a big challenge that I am willing to take. Edit: I found how this guy fit his H100i in with push/pull and I am only going with one layer of exhaust fans. It should fit:

Not all 4770K/4670K are created equal. Every chip/motherboard/setup is completely different even if they all have the same exact parts. Not all will achieve targeted speeds with said cooler temps.

Be advised that the 4770K is a heater. The H100i struggles to keep thier temps in check @ rated clock speeds. Once you start pushing it, the H100i will barely keep up.

Performance clock to clock of 4770K and 4790K will be the same. 4790K supposed to OC better and run at lower temps but if you get good 4770K then I think it won't make big difference on general 24/7 clocks so maybe up to 4.5GHz ( I see no reason why anyone need to run it higher.
4790K should be in the stores in about 3 weeks.

The problem with that is I am flying to NJ on the 25th, and they prices are different up there, as they don't have a microcenter there. I will not be coming back until the 15th of July, but will not be able to purchase the parts until July 26th. It is very complicated. Would I probably be happy with the 4770K, GA-Z97X-SOC FORCE, and an H105? That is all I really need to know at this point.

Not all 4770K/4670K are created equal. Every chip/motherboard/setup is completely different even if they all have the same exact parts. Not all will achieve targeted speeds with said cooler temps.

Be advised that the 4770K is a heater. The H100i struggles to keep thier temps in check @ rated clock speeds. Once you start pushing it, the H100i will barely keep up.

I am using an H105, which is actually much better due to the bigger radiator width. As I showed you before, http://www.legitreviews.com/corsair-h105-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review_138543/5

I saw that delidding voids your warranty, as well, so I don't want to take chances with something going wrong. I can see how good of a chip I may get. I may get an extreme chip, I may get terrible, I may get average. I can see where it goes. As for the 4790K, I can't get it for a month and a half (post above), so they may disappear by then and I am not all too patient for store deliveries. I am every happy with the current deals on the 4770K, but I need to know if I should wait a month and a half and have possibly much higher prices.

That's what I'm trying to explain to you. Doesn't matter the size of rad on the AIO coolers, the 4770K is a heat demon. Running stock speeds I'm sure the H105 will do nicely, but once you start ramping up speeds/voltages I'm sure that H105 will try and keep up.

I like how reviews show operating temps on a cpu, but fails to show temps in the room they're using to perform such tests.

It all amounts to the ambient temps on where the pc will be located. If your office/room is 72f-22c, then of course the H105 will do ok. If your room is warmer, then you're going to have a problem.

If it was up to me, I would wait till the new chip came out, but then that's just me.

That's what I'm trying to explain to you. Doesn't matter the size of rad on the AIO coolers, the 4770K is a heat demon. Running stock speeds I'm sure the H105 will do nicely, but once you start ramping up speeds/voltages I'm sure that H105 will try and keep up.

I like how reviews show operating temps on a cpu, but fails to show temps in the room they're using to perform such tests.

It all amounts to the ambient temps on where the pc will be located. If your office/room is 72f-22c, then of course the H105 will do ok. If your room is warmer, then you're going to have a problem.

If it was up to me, I would wait till the new chip came out, but then that's just me.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/61...rformance-liquid-cpu-cooler-review/index.html Ambient temps in here are about 22 C. For recording and gaming on Battlefield 3 and 4, will I experience a bottleneck at about 4.5 GHz? If not, I don't see why I shouldn't get the 4770K. I won't be able to get the 4790K for another 1 1/2 months or maybe 2, and by then, prices will have gone up due to demand. Will I be happy with the 4770K for gaming and sometimes recording and rendering (separately of course)?

Well the first thing you should be concerned about is reaching that speed with said chip. Again not all chips reach that speed, and if they do, they need a heckuva lot of voltage and that's when the heat problem comes into play.

The 4770K is a really nice chip. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Well the first thing you should be concerned about is reaching that speed with said chip. Again not all chips reach that speed, and if they do, they need a heckuva lot of voltage and that's when the heat problem comes into play.

Alright, is 4.3 GHz obtainable by most? Will I also probably be happy with the cooler and motherboard?

I am not sure that overclocking Intel chips is the same as my current 8320, but I assume it is similar if not identical. Are there any key differences that I should note?

I am pretty sure I will be upgrading to the 4770K. How would I approach overclocking on the 4770K versus the 8320? Is it pretty much the same?

I cannot seem to find the maximum temperature for the socket, but I found that the core is good as long as it is under 90 C, but around 80 is best. What socket temperatures are good?

Thank you from the other thread and helping me - on my way to buy the setup now!

Getting it now - will be back with results later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed it - have to cut the case to fit the cooler. Quite irritating.

Many issues. I went to BIOS. My CPU temp is 91 C and throttling in BIOS. I looked and the Corsair LED isn't lit. I also can't boot into the system because it is "getting devices ready" for 20 minutes and still won't stop.

Edit: Corsair fans aren't spinning either...

Another edit: on both the pump and fans, I repeatedly missed a pin plugging them in. Derp.

I booted, but mouse and keyboard don't consistently work. They work in BIOS, but not in OS much. Low resolution and it says that video card drivers crashed. Do I have to somehow disable iGPU?

Last edited by a moderator:
I fixed that stuff. Needed to use the mouse before entering windows 8. Now the internet is broken. It is plugged in, but doesn't light up on the router or the PC. Any ideas?

I fixed that stuff. Needed to use the mouse before entering windows 8. Now the internet is broken. It is plugged in, but doesn't light up on the router or the PC. Any ideas?
Did you install the drivers for the NIC card?

Just a note, if you need to edit and update your posts, use the EDIT button unless its been a few hours/someone has posted after you. :)

Back