• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Grand Theft Auto V Coming to PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just purchased off of Steam. Don't think it'll be done downloading for any gaming tonight though. Oh well, I'm playing through The Witcher 2 for the second time making some changes to how I played it the first time to prepare for 3. That is one of the only games I must play coming out this year.

GTA5 played fine on Xbox360 and PS3 so I'm certain it will be playable even on somewhat dated gaming PCs, for the true 'next gen' experience you will need some serious hardware though I think, especially a lot of fast RAM and of course high end graphics card.

I'm preloading GTA5 now and looking forward to playing whenever it's made available to me, launched on 14th but not sure what time zone that's in.

I'll be running it on a 2600k i7, 970 GTX, and 16gb RAM so I think it will run medium setting very well and the high or 'ultra' settings will run but will chug the frame rate down at times.

GTA V on PC is totally different regarding requirements. There are different textures etc. It's one of reasons why it was delayed. If it needed so low specs as consoles then you could run it on new tablets or even better phones while it's impossible. Consoles always lack of something ... starting from lower screen resolution and lower graphics details.

I'm curious what is the lowest specs to run it at 1080p in high details without any FPS drops below ~25.

I'm getting pretty inconsistent frame rates with this game... everything maxed out (except motion blur and MSAA as it causes graphical glitches) and i get on average around 90fps, this goes up to 160+ when indoors or staring at the sky.

The framerate tends to drop to around 30-40 while driving through the city... I expected this to be down to the high settings, so i turned down the vast majority down a notch, but no frame rate improvement.

How is everyone else getting on with it?

I have installed the AMD beta drivers released for GTA V

Ya my rig doesnt like it. Once i start driving the roads become gray and cars get stuck in the roads.

Weird when i benchmark it i get over 50fps but still the roads are gray or see thru.....

Runs good on my system. I actually let GeForce experience set the graphics settings as I've been pretty happy with what it does for most games.

Runs good on my system. I actually let GeForce experience set the graphics settings as I've been pretty happy with what it does for most games.

Doesn't the geforce experience set your settings to what is generally used with other nvidia users? I would have thot you would be at the top end of performance with your 980's in SLI :p

Doesn't the geforce experience set your settings to what is generally used with other nvidia users? I would have thot you would be at the top end of performance with your 980's in SLI :p

That's what I thought initially, but it does max out the settings except it plays with the AA settings a bit. That's the only thing I can tinker with and see how the performance is.

i cant remember, but im just frustrated because there is videos like this

playing smootly and no crazy things are happening to the roads.

Gonna check my direct x is up to date.

No MSAA still does it, someone said it maybe my HDD????

Last edited:
My only thought if it was your HDD is that it is having trouble loading textures/etc fast enough from a spinner drive.

I had the same problem you are mentioning with GTA4 and Sleeping Dogs [to a lesser extent].

Can you post a couple screenshots to verify it is what I think it is?

Assuming it is texture loading an SSD could help that. But I guess the question is if you stay in one spot or move around there does it eventually load or stay like that? Is it like that pretty much everywhere?

I would maybe try reinstalling the game to see if that resolves it. Has anyone reported the same thing on their forums?

i researched it, its common from low end to high end rigs. I fixed mine by putting the GTA 5 exe file into high priority thru the task manager. After that i never did see it again.

Anyone else running SLI rigs who can confirm available video memory? In my video options, it shows double the available video memory. I thought that SLI only shows max available per card.

On the performance side, I haven't checked fps but with every slider on maximum it is smooth as butter at 4k. Total in game used video memory shows at just over 10.5GB but did not confirm with gpuz. If it is reporting my numbers at double, then I would guess all options maxxed out on a 4k screen would need roughly 5-6GB of VRAM.

With SLI enabled it doubles my vram as well, showing I have just over 8gb when I only have 4gb cards.

I used the GeForce experience, ran well but felt slightly choppy. Turned down shadows to high, and water quality to high, and turned down AA to 8x I believe. Runs buttery smooth, however in game menu is super slow and choppy :sly:

Also while on the subject, does anyone's game seem blurry at all? Int he tree towards the left, and it may be see but ioverall it looks slightly blurry. Not sharp like all the images online I see.

Here is a screen
2015-04-15_00002.jpg

Last edited:
Try upping the draw distance while looking at the same location and see if there is a difference. Anisotropic filtering also can improve the texture quality at far distances, if I am not mistaken.

Back