• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED Windows XP Security Updates - registry hack for a five year extension until 2019

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SWEET!!!! works-acuppycake!!!!!!
now, how do i empty the prefetch in xp pro 32 bit?

Anyone else notice this as of April 2015:

Attachments

• WinXPUpdateNo.png
    WinXPUpdateNo.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 185
Fixed!

Using:

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
In the list of services, right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Properties.
In the Startup type list, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.
Right-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and then click Properties.
In the Startup type list, click Manual, and then click Apply.
If Service status is set to Stopped, click Start, and then click OK.

Worked for me too doing a manual update check after a fresh install of XP and all the updates not offered to POS clients. After manually installing all the non-POS updates I did the suggested registry hack, rebooted and rechecked for new updates. Lo and behold, there were 35 new "important" updates waiting and a couple of optional ones. Most had "POS" in their title.

- - - Updated - - -

c627627, we are indebted to you again. You often come up with solutions that go beyond what the average bear is aware of.

Luckily I remembered reading this thread in April. Thanks for your help, c627627, since I just had to reinstall XP on a work computer.

I just hope the user doesn't get hit with ransom-ware again. lol

There's a group of white hats that will break the encryption if you send in a sample file that's encrypted by the hostage ware and crack the code so you can restore your data without paying the ransom. I don't remember who off hand, but I read about it in the news recently.

Thanks for that info Audio. I already did some searching & it seems only one of about three or four versions can be fixed. This machine had one of the unfixable versions. It was Onion something-or-other. Very few Doc's & excel files were lost & nothing that can't be recreated, by that employee, with a little time. ;)

Does freeware like Avira antivirus intercept ransomware encryption attempts?

They are still working on the unfixable versions and they have the computational power to do some heavy crunching on the problem.

I don't know c627627, this machine was running MS Security Essentials, which really is not much better than nothing at all. lol It has Avira Free now, so we might see in time.

I hope someone can get a fix for all the versions. I couldn't imagine getting hit with this on a PC with a lot of irreplaceable stuff & the back up drive connected - that could be a really bad day! I've read paying the ransom doesn't even guarantee you will get your files back either.

No, you won't get your files back after paying the ransom.
When something like this happens, it's an excellent test of the quality of antivirus protection you have, we've known MS Essentials was "better than nothing" but inadequate when it comes to definitions. I've been waiting for something to pass by my Avira installation so I can isolate it and test it on all antivirus software just to see which ones would catch it, but Avira Freeware didn't let anything through for a very long time now for me...

Back