• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project 64:OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Okay!

Got the new guy in today :p

This one is even older -- and better. Lemme explain....

This revision is NUS-CPU-03 This is the last model to have C-Sync.
IIRC, C-Sync is used for S-Video. I think there's a mod for S-video, or some adapter cable from, Nintendo.

Anyways, here it is:

IMG374.jpg

IMG375.jpg

Also, I practiced on the old dead one; there is no need to solder off the pins, they are so small, the just pry right off the mobo with a steady and and a small pin. :thup:

the new ones looks like its been through the ringer. Press on SP

Drove hard and put away wet yes. The shell (case) is gross.
Dirty and the reset button was jammed :rolleyes:

Anywho..... SUCCESS! :bday: :clap:
The mod is complete AND IT WORKS!!!

I played the "Dam" level in Goldeneye, spun around and noted the lag from rendering all the graphics.
Flipped the switches to the 2.0x multiplier, and spun around again. Notably smoother!

The "mythical" 3.0x Multiplier is just that - no games will boot, but I haven't tried Duck Nukem 64 :D

Here's the finished product:
IMG378.jpg

IMG379.jpg

IMG380.jpg

IMG381.jpg
I cheated here, some guides say use 2 capacitors, I was only able to solder to one, so I soldered the two switches together. ;)

And it only cost me $30 and a burnt thumb. (Soldering irons make copper hot! :eek: )

Awesome sp
Your my retro hero... Thumb smells like bacon... Thats dedication :rofl:

Treat yourself to the anti bacon thumbmaster 2000

DSC_0345.JPG

Well ok its called helping hands :D

Last edited:
nice work thats awesome i still have a nintendo 64 and goldeneye but my cursor always drifts think its my controller though

I expect your right. Xbox, PlayStation controller's all drift if you drop and sit on them enough times.

Lets hope you can pick another up... Should you decide to join the turbo N64 "I can't believe its not real bacon" route :D

nice work thats awesome i still have a nintendo 64 and goldeneye but my cursor always drifts think its my controller though

I expect your right. Xbox, PlayStation controller's all drift if you drop and sit on them enough times.

Lets hope you can pick another up... Should you decide to join the turbo N64 "I can't believe its not real bacon" route :D

Bobby's right. I had to clean my Amethyst coloured N64 controller.
Although, it's funny to watch Bond walk around in circles! :p

And here's something:
I tried playing on the 1.0x multiplier. WOW everything is super slow!
Cursor moves slow, animations are very slow. Load times are wayy up, and enemy reaction time and the guns firing are very slow.
I think it took like 3 minutes to watch the 3 scenes Goldeneye shows how you die :p

Which is odd because other people said they saw no difference between 1.5x and 1.0x. :shrug:

I sure did.

maybe you did it right sp?

I remember the gameshark could do some really wierd things with goldeneye 64 and if you even touched the game while it was plugged in.

watch this guys

maybe you did it right sp?

I remember the gameshark could do some really wierd things with goldeneye 64 and if you even touched the game while it was plugged in.

watch this guys

I guess I was the only one who actually got the 1.0x multiplier working then yeah :p

That's a good vid Deathhorse! :rofl:
Now I want a gameshark :thup:

yeah i want one too but it would be a total impulse buy that would just sit there

Yeah :(

Hopefully I can find a cheap Doom 64 on fleabay or something.

Now that the N64 is OC'd, I wanna build up my games library :p

the solder joints on your mor recent N64 look better than the first.
it just seemed like the first one you did the solder wasn't flowing real well and the joints looked cold

if you going to do this more often I suggest stockpiling systems you come across for super cheap, because of the different revisions you found out about.
also if you think about it, maybe try some over clocking on some NESs or PSXs (aka PS1). I have got a few sitting arround

Attachments

• 20140620_025955_1.jpg
    20140620_025955_1.jpg
    778 KB · Views: 675
Woah!
That's a lot of NES's! :drool:

I'll look into some guides. Who know, you might be able to OC those NES's and PSx's :thup:

I have a suspicion that the NES won't take to OCing well, I'd put at least a dime on the core (such as it is) and the video output sharing a clock. No multis there :D

That said, I'd love to see it!

I'm enjoying this :D

Treat yourself to a proper soldering iron, though. There's a 40w weller $25 thing that comes with a fine pencil tip and works great for that kind of stuff.
That and some anti-static soldering tweezers. I have these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Safe-Anti-static-Tweezers-Maintenance-Tools-ESD-/200794457707
I didn't buy them from that guy, I have no idea what sort of seller he is. All I know is that I have a bunch of VETUS tweezers and they're great for the price.

I have a suspicion that the NES won't take to OCing well, I'd put at least a dime on the core (such as it is) and the video output sharing a clock. No multis there :D

That said, I'd love to see it!

I'm enjoying this :D

Treat yourself to a proper soldering iron, though. There's a 40w weller $25 thing that comes with a fine pencil tip and works great for that kind of stuff.
That and some anti-static soldering tweezers. I have these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6pcs-Safe-Anti-static-Tweezers-Maintenance-Tools-ESD-/200794457707
I didn't buy them from that guy, I have no idea what sort of seller he is. All I know is that I have a bunch of VETUS tweezers and they're great for the price.

Thanks! :D

Yeah, a pencil tip would have been great for this project. more accurate, strong joints and 100% less burnt thumb :thup:

Back