• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project 64:OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
post #4 here has a spec sheet for the clock cycle generator that's used on the PSX
http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3680.msg25180#msg25180

it seems that it, if done properly, would be a cpu/gpu over clock
have to be careful though, if its a system where they timed everything to a fixed clock cycle, like they used to do in old pc games, then it'll speed everything up, if the order of process isn't fixed to the clock cycles then it should be an overclock like what we get today on a computer

Sounds like the audio would be faster. And sounds like chipmunks! :rofl:

That'd be neat though, CPU and GPU overclock.

If you are intrested in OC'ing a PSX, I modded mine with Extra cooling to deal with the PSX's getting rather hot. I also have the gameshark for mine XD. Lemme go find it. Should be in storage next to my XBOX that caught fire :D

If you are intrested in OC'ing a PSX, I modded mine with Extra cooling to deal with the PSX's getting rather hot. I also have the gameshark for mine XD. Lemme go find it. Should be in storage next to my XBOX that caught fire :D

That'd be cool to see! :)

Meh... I don't have a PSX though. No one I know has one either rats..

Lemme go find it this weekend. I might mod it instead seeing i do have a 40 watt pencil iron XD. We'll see.

I haven't forgotten about this. Just been busy. I've been dealing with a buddy of mine having a stroke at the age of 28. Things are just now getting back to normal so hopefully soon I can tackle this

I haven't forgotten about this. Just been busy. I've been dealing with a buddy of mine having a stroke at the age of 28. Things are just now getting back to normal so hopefully soon I can tackle this

Oh man, that's way too young :(
Is he alright? I really hope so, I've seen what strokes can do. It was a major role in my grandfather's passing...

Hello all !

I modd my PAL Nintendo 64, but I think the Overclock is too risky. Safe and healthy the overclock mod, and required another heatsink or fan ? I buy two switch, this one:

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/...-6-Pin-2-Position-2P2T-font-b-DPDT-b-font.jpg

Good this two piece switch this procedure?

Please help me someone !

Thanks all !

Yeah, that ought to work. Just make sure you solder the wires to the correct pins.

I haven't felt the need to add a fan to my N64, but I will say it does get warmer now with the overclock. A fan would be a nice add on later on.

Also, I have discovered you can switch the multiplier on the in game! So switch to 2x for smoother gameplay, and 1x to give yourself extra reaction time/more time to complete puzzles etc. :D

Yeah, that ought to work. Just make sure you solder the wires to the correct pins.

I haven't felt the need to add a fan to my N64, but I will say it does get warmer now with the overclock. A fan would be a nice add on later on.

Also, I have discovered you can switch the multiplier on the in game! So switch to 2x for smoother gameplay, and 1x to give yourself extra reaction time/more time to complete puzzles etc. :D

Many thanks, but I have more questions. Watch this video:

The man saying "125 mhz - works, but unstable" "187.5 mhz - doesn't start up" . What is the truth ? Working stable, or unstable?

Many thanks, but I have more questions. Watch this video:

The man saying "125 mhz - works, but unstable" "187.5 mhz - doesn't start up" . What is the truth ? Working stable, or unstable?

Yes, correct.

I mentioned that a while back - 125Mhz is stable for me. Although, it does get hot after a few hours.
187.5Mhz, the 3.0x multiplier, does not work.

I can't boot up a game with it set to 187.5Mhz nor can I switch to it in-game like I can from 2.0x -> 1.0x.
So yeah, 3.0x never works basically, but I added it in anyway :)

Little update:
My soldering broke on pin 116. Must be my terrible soldering skills :p
So I patched it all up and it works great again :)

I also recommend NOT switching the multiplier on the fly in-game, as the console immediately shut off and refused to boot back up. Unplugging everything for a few minutes solved that though.
I have an S-Video cable on the way for this N64 as well. Perhaps one day I'll do the RGB mod and buy a SCART cable and an adapter :)

Last edited:
So... what does overclocking a console actually do? Aren't their FPS limited anyway?

From your guide... LOL, ALL lefties write that way (I know, I am one!), and my handwriting is quite neat... Is there anyone that writes from right to left or is that called backwards? :p :rofl:

I do :p (Hebrew)

**UPDATE**

I recently acquired Mario 64 so that means the N64 has been used more lately, so I got to thinking of other mods I can do...

And here we are today with part 1 of wireless on/off and reset!

I took my time unsoldering that annoying power switch and then soldered in the small wires in place of the switches. Hooked them up to 2 DPST relays which have their coils connected in parallel.

For now the wireless relay receiver has silicone tape on the back to prevent any shorts against the aluminum heatsink, but it will later be mounted permanently on the empty space to the right on the heatsink.

I've also been thinking of watercooling it, using a small chunk of a condenser coil from and old refrigeration unit from work. I know it certainly doesn't need it but I think it'd be cool!

Attachments

• IMG_20220129_234649.jpg
    IMG_20220129_234649.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Back