• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help chosing a mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shadowdr

OK, so I haven't had an Intel since my first computer, but my current rig had lightning come in through the cable connection and so I need to start over. My current setup still works for the most part but just has some annoying glitches. I have decided to go to the dark side and see if Intel is really faster. I have decided on the I5 4690k when it comes out later this month so I can upgrade to an I7 later on when it falls behind.

Problem is with Intel, I don't know what range I need to look into. With AMD I would always get a high end mobo and save some money on the processor. With Intel I have heard it is the other way around, just not sure if that is true. I do have some things I want like at least eight to ten sata ports as I already have seven drives including two DVD players. I also would like raid0 and of coarse the ability to overclock without hindrance from the mobo. With the issues that some folks are having with Asus, I am not sure I want one of them either, they have been what I bought up until now so I don't know where to look.

I have seen that Z97 boards have come out and am wondering if anyone has had good experience with them yet. I would consider any suggestion as I have no idea. I have been looking and looking and have just hit a wall with Neweggs website not filtering the things I want and Tiger Direct not really listing the specs as they should. Any help narrowing it down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions, I don't think that the UD3H has enough sata ports but I did see the UD5H on the same page that looks like it does. Giga looks to make some pretty solid boards these days, I hope no one has had issues with the Z97 boards yet. I still have a few weeks to decide but that really helps.

Thanks guys I have put it on my wish list along with the 4690k. I have never used an Asrock mobo before, I always thought that they were more on the budget side of things but it looks like they did a good job on this one. It is one of only a few that have 10 sata ports that I could find but I haven't looked at any reviews yet.

They started out as a budget company, but have made quite a good name for themselves!

Check on our front page in the coming days (very soon) for a review on the Z97 Extreme6.

They started out as a budget company, but have made quite a good name for themselves!

Check on our front page in the coming days (very soon) for a review on the Z97 Extreme6.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Yes ASRock is no longer a budget low-end company. In the past several generations they have made a name for themselves as a premium motherboard supplier right up with ASUS/MSI/GIGABYTE. The Extreme 6 comes very highly reviewed. You get 2 M.2 ports on it. That's fantastic. Those ports have a lot of potential.

take a good hard look at the extreme 6 and extreme 9.
I think the extreme 6 reveiw is posted, the extreme 9 gives you pcie x16/x16 in sli if you game.

Yes ASRock is no longer a budget low-end company. In the past several generations they have made a name for themselves as a premium motherboard supplier right up with ASUS/MSI/GIGABYTE. The Extreme 6 comes very highly reviewed. You get 2 M.2 ports on it. That's fantastic. Those ports have a lot of potential.

Those SSD ports have a ton of potential.

Honestly, I would almost pull MSI from that list these days.

take a good hard look at the extreme 6 and extreme 9.
I think the extreme 6 reveiw is posted, the extreme 9 gives you pcie x16/x16 in sli if you game.

The bandwidth difference for a GPU makes ~2% in performance from x8/x8. Not worth the extra price, IMO.

But yes, the review is posted.
http://www.overclockers.com/asrock-z97-extreme6-motherboard-review

Thanks for the high marks on the Extreme6. I can only find it at the egg however and that would run me another 40 bucks in taxes, so I am kinda looking at the Giga Ud5h as well. TD doesn't carry either at the present but they may by the time the 4960k comes out, or I may just have to find another hardware site to get them from. It is a difficult choice but I do still have some time to mull it all over.

Thanks for the high marks on the Extreme6. I can only find it at the egg however and that would run me another 40 bucks in taxes, so I am kinda looking at the Giga Ud5h as well. TD doesn't carry either at the present but they may by the time the 4960k comes out, or I may just have to find another hardware site to get them from. It is a difficult choice but I do still have some time to mull it all over.

4690. 4960 would be an X79 part. Giga UD5 is a solid board. You'll be happy with either that or the extreme 6. The extreme 6 has 2 M.2 ports on the upshot.

Back