• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How low (in terms of wattage) should I be able to go with my computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blackjackel

Rig that I'm talking about is listed in my sig

So I'm not using my desktop much anymore, so now ive switched it to be on 24/7 for cryptocurrency mining, trying to get my wattage usage as low as possible.

I've undervolted as far as my mobo will allow (1.1v vcore) and the cpu is set at stock, I've also undervolted the graphics card. I disabled the various components that are on the mobo such as the extra ethernet plug. At idle my computer user 144 watts. I have a processor multiplier management program and I have it set to fix the processor at 6x multiplier (1600mhz)

How many watts do you guys think I can get my computer down to at idle and is there anything else I can do to lower my usage even further or is this all I am able to do?

Rig that I'm talking about is listed in my sig

So I'm not using my desktop much anymore, so now ive switched it to be on 24/7 for cryptocurrency mining, trying to get my wattage usage as low as possible.

I've undervolted as far as my mobo will allow (1.1v vcore) and the cpu is set at stock, I've also undervolted the graphics card. I disabled the various components that are on the mobo such as the extra ethernet plug. At idle my computer user 144 watts. I have a processor multiplier management program and I have it set to fix the processor at 6x multiplier (1600mhz)

How many watts do you guys think I can get my computer down to at idle and is there anything else I can do to lower my usage even further or is this all I am able to do?

It's not about the idling, it's more about which coin you mine too.

Take x13 or x11 coins, uber low power usage and very low heat production.

Take my sig rig, it draws about ~300 or so watts mining x13 coins.
And that's the CPU folding with it's overclock, both GPUs at full load.

HOWEVER, 144 seems high.
Sig rig of mine idles at 0.75 amps which is 90 watts....
Of course, I have the 2nd gen i5 with all the power saving features. Your CPU? Not sure....

Also, what GPU's do you have? I assume you are not mining on the 4870 right?
CPU mining too?

I'm mining dogecoin regardless of ups and downs, i think dogecoin will make it as the 3rd best cryptocurrency.

I'm mining with the 4870, yes, the CPU does not really mine fast enough, its barely fast enough to not be rejected by the pool.

I'm mining dogecoin regardless of ups and downs, i think dogecoin will make it as the 3rd best cryptocurrency.

I'm mining with the 4870, yes, the CPU does not really mine fast enough, its barely fast enough to not be rejected by the pool.

Oookay.

Well that would explain higher wattage.
1st: It's scrypt right, which draws a lot of power and makes a lot of heat.

2nd: 4870's aren't all power efficient. older tech..

Now, not to be rude or anything, but mining Doge is a huge mistake.
You actually have a net loss of $0.78 per day based on 200 watts for the whole system @ 135 Kh.......
http://www.whattomine.com/
Plug in your values to see what you could earn :)

That said, the best way to reduce wattage is lower the GPU's voltage as much as possible, but maintain the same clocks.

Back