• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monero, XMR (aka MRO)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xsuperbgx

Benching Team Leader
Monero (XMR) is a new privacy-centric coin using the CryptoNote protocol The open source reference implementation of CryptoNote was coded from scratch based on the CryptoNote reference implementation, and is not a fork of Bitcoin.

Monero aims to be a fungible and untraceable digital medium of exchange. It intrinsically has a higher degree of anonymity than Bitcoin or any of its various forks. It was launched on April 18, 2014 (preannounced and no premine/IPO/etc.).

Btctalk thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=583449.0

CPU and gpu mineable.

GPU miner by claymore: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=638915.0

Other things of interest:
i2p and MONERO partnership: https://geti2p.net/en/blog/post/2014/05/25/Monero-partnership
annotated white paper for cryptonote: http://monero.cc/downloads/whitepaper_annotated.pdf

Last edited:
For reference - I'm currently getting 250 h/s per R9 270, 70 h/s for my 6870 with the current Claymore miner.

What o/s are you on? My hashes seem low for 290x, are there any settings or configuration changes to be made?

Win7 64 bit.

I don't think my 7950 is hashing any faster than the 270s, honestly - the main rig with the one 7950 and one 270 is only doing 480 h/s.

Any idea on the BTC/day?

Say perhaps BTC/scrypt Mh? :shrug:

Also, why only hashs/sec?
I figured a CPU with AES instruction would put out at least a few Kh..
But since it's not, must be one hard algo to mine with.

What's power and heat like on this coin?

heat is lower than scrypt. I am unsure about that other stuff as I am still trying to sort things out. Though price went up nicely today :) as well as network hashrate. :(

Thanks for the link!

A rough guess of 500 h/s is about 0.007 BTC/day. Not half bad at all :)
Will look into Monero tomorrow for sure. Getting late here :-/

Yeah, it looks like I'm heading for 0.014 per day if I can keep all the good cards mining it. As soon as I added the 4GB 270X to the 2GB 270X, that machine went to 550 h/s. The 4GB card alone is pulling down 300 h/s.

Finally found an algo that extra memory makes any difference at all on :p

It looks like 290x's are at 1580h/s or so , for the 3 cards. I am at 240h/s for the cpu. I added the wolf's binaries into the simpleminer directory for easyminer.

Mess around with the cpu thread count if mining on cpu. More threads is not better.

Edit: Also, I am holding this, not selling right now.

Last edited:
I'm at 1.93 XMR this morning with 4 hours to go before putting in a full 24 hours.

Not bad, so far, but I need to figure out why the main rig isn't driving the 270 to its utmost potential. That card is only doing 175 h/s. Maybe it just doesn't like being in the same rig with a 7950.

I think I'll pull it out, run just the 7950 in the main rig, and stick the 270 in place of the 7770. I've said it before, and now I really mean it - time to retire that slowpoke of a card.

As soon as my CPU finishes folding this WU, I will set up Monero on GPU's + CPU.
Hopefully my lazyness didn't make me miss out on the profit train....

Looking like 0.0024 BTC/day on Waffle's X11 BTW. :-/

EDIT: Guys, how big is the block chain?

Last edited:
Remembered the hard way that the rig that had the 7770 only had a 32 bit Win7 installation, so there's no point trying to run the Asus 270 in there. So, I swapped it with the 6870, and now the 6870 is running X11 in the 32 bit machine.

I need to get that dedicated mining rig up and running and give it all the 270s. Still short a CPU for that.

The 7950 now mines at 260 h/s all by itself. Faster than it was, still slower than the 4GB 270X. Right now it's not mining at all so the rig's usable - got the 2500K mining instead at 140 h/s. I should go do something else and let all the fast cards mine for a while.

Remembered the hard way that the rig that had the 7770 only had a 32 bit Win7 installation, so there's no point trying to run the Asus 270 in there. So, I swapped it with the 6870, and now the 6870 is running X11 in the 32 bit machine.

I need to get that dedicated mining rig up and running and give it all the 270s. Still short a CPU for that.

The 7950 now mines at 260 h/s all by itself. Faster than it was, still slower than the 4GB 270X. Right now it's not mining at all so the rig's usable - got the 2500K mining instead at 140 h/s. I should go do something else and let all the fast cards mine for a while.

And where are we mining this?
Is everyone here on the same pool?

There is some issue with mining at a large pool causing issues with small amounts in many transactions (dust), so if you are at a pool that gets many blocks, but you only get a small fraction of an xpm, it can cause issues with transaction size when you try to spend your xpm. It is recommended to use a smaller pool.

Back