• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monero, XMR (aka MRO)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I already have to babysit my rig mining any coin - the miner will just dies and close randomly

I know that feeling... just swapped the Gigabyte AMD board and CPU in the dedicated rig for my new to me MSI Z77A-G45 and Celeron G1610 so I could finally run a full six card setup in there. Took me four hours to get that working, due in part to finding out that the guy from eBay I bought risers from sent me a dead one, and even now that machine seems to be really picky about which modded X11 miner I use. Can't use the one I was using anymore, now I need the badman74 version or some card or another gets sick and crashes the miner.

I'm waiting to see if it runs all night stable before I try Monero with it again, but I'll likely go back to the kachur miner since Claymore v8 was so problematic.

Words cannot describe how wonderful it is to see the 280X running 63 degrees with the fan only at 40% now that it's not sharing the case with extra video cards :D

Weird, since switching to V8, I haven't had any of my 3 mining computers have a problem with it....

Just Murphy coming to enforce his law, probably. Watch... now that I got the six card rig up and running, the kachur miner will be the unstable one and Claymore v8 will be fine.

Kachur is up to v1.3b. No speed improvement that I can see.

Really need to stop putting off doing something about my 6870 and 7770. One's too slow to be useful, the other's on its last legs after gaming for two years and then mining most of this year. I'm going to upgrade both with 280Xs if I have anything to say about it. I'd replace the bad fans on the 6870, but it's a waste of money on a card that old and slow.

Edit - both XMR miners were unstable. It's looking like this board needs the primary display card in that first x16 PCI-E slot to be stable. But, the second 7950 has been randomly dropping out on boot, so I may end up pulling that card entirely out of there. I already know I have one bad riser... maybe I have more than one.

Last edited:
Yup.

My hunch about the first PCI-E x16 slot was correct - it's stable now. It's been running Claymore v8 with all six cards for a few hours. 750W draw out of the wall. Just waiting to see if it'll crash like it used to on the old board, but that could take hours more to find out. Kind of surprised it was stable enough to mine child all night the way it was before.

I want more of these Z77A-G45 boards for all future mining rigs. If it were a little more loaded, this one would have gone into the main rig instead of the miner. Awesome board.

Edit - another Claymore v8 crash on the main rig. I'm going back to 6.0 there and in the office, and will do Kachur in the dedicated rig if 8.0 crashes again there too. That's really the only machine that needs the higher speeds of the newer miners.

Last edited:
Claymore v9 is out. Lower devfee, faster mining. I love competition.

Don't know if it's more stable than v8 for me, but I'm running it now. The 280X is now pushing 550 h/s in low intensity mode and the Gigabyte 7950 with Hynix is now doing 525. Never did get that Gigabyte to play nice in the new dedicated miner build, so it's in the office now playing by itself having replaced my ancient HD6870.

Edit - not more stable. I'm beginning to think it's enabling the watchdog option that causes the problem. Now testing...

Last edited:
As of yesterday the Kachur miner is on the outs for sending duplicate shares to compete with the Claymore miner. It can no longer be found at the originating forum for download, as the developer has now gotten the banhammer there over it.

Those using it might want to hit the delete button on it and go back to Claymore.

As of yesterday the Kachur miner is on the outs for sending duplicate shares to compete with the Claymore miner. It can no longer be found at the originating forum for download, as the developer has now gotten the banhammer there over it.

Those using it might want to hit the delete button on it and go back to Claymore.

Risky to try new soft or sites in crypto...

Read: https://bitcomsec.true.io/bitcomsec/tracking-a-bitcoin-thief-cryptorush-hack/

Technical analysis on BTC (it directly impacts xmr's price, since it's correlated):

-BTC will drop to 344 by the 27th, I expect a reversal and new uptrend by next month.

XMR is side trading, no clear direction and mostly being a victim of inflation with lowish demand right now.
I don't advice holding ANY coin right now.

I expect a reversal and new uptrend by next month.

That's what I'm waiting for before I do anything with my XMR. Or my undonated stash of CHILD, for that matter. Took too long to get the XMR I have to just sell it off at recent prices, and don't really need to cash any out this month. Then again, I don't really have much of it in the grand scheme of things anyway.

I may, however, shut the mining farm down for a while to just give it all a break.

It's better to sell the hardware and invest in some other thing...I trade Forex now, as well as silver/gold and soon stocks (acct not approved yet).

Yeah, I figure sell everything now and re-tool if things ever get fun again.

It's better to sell the hardware and invest in some other thing...I trade Forex now, as well as silver/gold and soon stocks (acct not approved yet).

I'm not comfortable with that, honestly. If I sell what few cards I have, I'll never get them back at my income level. And I know I'm not ready to mess around in the big pool yet ;)

It's something I'd like to get started on eventually, but I need to fully get my head around trading first.

Well, I had very little money but managed to go 4x after I started with Forex.

I can suggest a few good books to get you started. Then demo to death with fxcm.com's demo account (50k usd of fake practice money to play with).
Mine is at 58k now after three weeks. (demo acct)

But I did study this stuff for a year.

Heh - I still qualify for welfare, that's how little cash I have these days. I can't afford to risk a dime of my non crypto income. I have no doubt I'll be into that at some point, just not anytime soon.

Meantime, the power's still free so the cards keep working. They're now helping heat the house. XMR only, because I can't see a point to mining anything else until BTC starts on that uptrend you mentioned.

Maybe I'll pickup XMR again...

I was doing great on CHILD. I was ~40% of the pool's hashrate :D
at least 10 blocks/day... now some whale is mining at the same pool and I'm not getting enough CHILD to donate anymore.

Speaking of donating, is there a cut-off date for donating CHILD to the addy Ivan?

Not until we announce the airdrop. We delayed it because BTC went down a lot, and we want the biggest fiat valuation for the coins, to get the most out of it, charity wise.

It seems like cryptsy and others are thinking of bailing with people's money, as far as I know. Bad timing, it's hurting the coin badly. :/

Good. Because the whale left, so I'll take his position ;)
I'll be donating a bunch tonight

Got some strangeness going on with Claymore 9.1 today. Keeps dropping one card in the five card mining rig. It's always the same card, too - one of my Asus 270s. No matter where I stick that card in the line, it'll mine for a bit and then just drop dead. Figured it was due to running it at 1.1V, but nope... it dropped out again at 1.15V. Even if I drive the monitor off that card it drops out. The watchdog option doesn't seem to ever catch it.

Currently testing it with Claymore v8. So far, it has yet to go on strike with that version. I did pull 4GB RAM out of there... next time it drops out I'll put that back in and see if that improves things. Maybe I just need the whole 8GB to run more than four cards in there.

Edit - found the problem. Or at least a problem. When I pulled that stick of DDR3 out of there, the board went back to defaults and turned a bunch of stuff on I didn't want turned on. Seems to be doing better now.

Last edited:
Weird. What board is it?

Seems really annoying/dumb for a board to default like that....
But I see why it does that too.

Back