• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Monero, XMR (aka MRO)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
MSI Z77A-G45. Changing RAM boots it to a prompt asking if I want to get into the BIOS or load defaults and just boot. I must have been so tired when I pulled that stick out that I just let it load defaults, which of course turns all the onboard garbage on and enables all the power saving nonsense a mining rig doesn't need.

Edit - and it dropped the card again. I think I'll move that problem card to another rig next week.

Last edited:
I have started buying back in to xmr. I hope that we have seen the bottom on prices.

I may start getting my miners going again too.

anyone know what is up with xmr on polo today? It looks like it was frozen or something.

quite a drop in xmr hashrates and difficulty. I know OW and others mine and trade to this, but with the drop in difficulty it may be worthwhile to mine this directly. I would check the numbers.

Currently, it's the most profitable for me with x11 second.

I'm pretty much mining and trading to increase my stockpile, not cashing out. I've got my 100 XMR holding stash, and am trying to increase it at least tenfold.

I bought back in after selling everything. I wish I would have waited a while, but I did come out ahead. I have one machine mining this still. I would love to put another rig or two back to mining, but electricity gets too expensive to justify.

Hello I'm new here, nice to meet you all. Wanted to know if anybody knows what kind of hash rate you can expect out of an Intel i7 4 core, 6 core or 8 core. I'm sure someone in this tread has posted something somewhere. I didn't want to have to to read through the whole thread tonight (although I will within the next 48 -72 hour) Also any suggested mining software for Intel chips. Wanting to add some additional hashing power to my rig with better processor

Currently running a 6x R9 280x rig but just have a crappy celeron on the board.
Windows 8 - 2x Thermaltake 1200watt PSU's - 8GB RAM - SSD - ASRock H81 BTC Mother Board - Claymore 9.1 for GPU
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64542376/20150107_215542.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64542376/20150107_215626.jpg

Thanks for any help, I'm sure I'm gonna continue to learn by being here.

Last edited:
I just read through the thread. Good stuff here. I suggest keeping all XMR coins and buying what you can while its cheap. Have been mining this coins since late August and following the coins since June. I have read and kept up with everything I can on all the developer threads and this coin just keeps getting better. The dev team has really done some nice work since taking over in April.

If no one has read the latest missive "year in review" here is the link:
https://forum.monero.cc/1/news-and-...o-missives-22-year-in-review-january-5th-2015
Its a little long but it gets down to brass tax.

From what I've read I think the GUI will be out in the 1st quarter of this year. :attn:

__________________________________________________ ____________
Monerohash.com U.S Mining Pool

I can't speak to the i7's, but my i5 2500k overclocked to 4GHz does 145 h/s on XMR with Wolf0's miner. I'd like to upgrade the one AMD dedicated mining rig to an 8 core chip and put it to work, too, but at the moment video cards are so cheap it doesn't make sense to do that before I max out my video card support first.

And yeah... XMR is about the only thing I'm actively trying to get more of and hold for that very reason. Even with BTC crashing, it still looks promising to me.

Welcome Drhiggins.

I don't even mine on my 4930K. Last time I ran it, it didn't seem like it was very much performance. I don't know what power draw is compared to gpu's though. I may mess with it a little over the weekend.

With network hashrate so low, I decided to get a 2nd rig up. I found that pimp os 1.7 64 has claymore cryptonote 7.0 included and will run. I downloaded 9.1 and it runs fine too. It is really easy to get running.

With 4 gpu's, it runs on a celeron g465 at 4% cpu usage. 1690h/s with 3x7950 and one 7850. Have not messed with clocks, bioses, etc.

Last edited:
Looks like this will be what I mine when I start mining for a few weeks again :)
Good to hear that it's doing well!

DRK has taken over my profitability estimates again at Whattomine. 24 hour profit calculations put Orbitcoin and FTC ahead as well. I might stay with XMR, I might switch and trade the profit for XMR. Either way, I'm getting more XMR :D

Not wasting time with ORB though. Cryptsy's wallet has been in maintenance for weeks, and I can't do anything with the few I have.

I have a gaming machine I run as a miner when I'm not on it. I have an AMD FX8150 8 core CPU and that does about 300H/s with just 6 of 8 threads running. Run Claymore for CPU.
I also have 2 older SLI'ed Nvidia GTX560's that run CCMiner for GPU and they pull about 220-280H/s combined. So I pull and extra 500-550 H/s when this gaming machine is running.

I'll just look around on ebay for a deal on a new or used i7 or i5 processor for the mining rig. If I can squeeze out an extra 250-300H/s out of the mining rig then its worth it to me, but not gonna go all out on a processor. I'm not the richest man in the world (although I hope to be significantly richer after XMR explodes LOL) so not gonna break the bank on a processor.

Thanks for the feedback, God I love mining!

I don't think you will get 250-300 out of an 1155 or 1150 cpu. Just started messing with I7 4930k, i am getting about 245 h/s. Haven't done extensive testing or changing settings yet though. Not even sure I have the best miner tbh.

Edit: nevermind. You mention to use claymore's cpu. which I didn't try yet. I will work on it more later.
Bouncing around 250-280 now. No more time to mess with it though...

Last edited:
Ok so after some research on what the top i7 or i5 Intel to use in my rig based on my MB socket. Looks like I have two options.
i7 4770K 3.5GHz 4 cores/ 8 threads
i5-4670K 3.4GHz 4 cores/ 4 threads
Both CPU's ending in K are supposed to be unlocked allowing for over clocking.

My question why are two threads per core on the i7 is better than one thread per core on the i5?
Do these these extra threads help in mining? Is this the same meaning as in GPU's having multiple threads?

Ok so after some research on what the top i7 or i5 Intel to use in my rig based on my MB socket. Looks like I have two options.
i7 4770K 3.5GHz 4 cores/ 8 threads
i5-4670K 3.4GHz 4 cores/ 4 threads
Both CPU's ending in K are supposed to be unlocked allowing for over clocking.

My question why are two threads per core on the i7 is better than one thread per core on the i5?
Do these these extra threads help in mining? Is this the same meaning as in GPU's having multiple threads?

IIRC threads count here.

I'll fire up the old XMR cpu miner I have. Outdated yes, but it'll give you a ball park idea.
I have the 3570K i5.

EDIT: So using Claymore's "POOL" miner v3.2, I get 187 H/s using 3 threads/cores. I'm OC'd to 4.3 Ghz as par sig so I'd wager the 4770K would be damn good an it. If you can get it cheap I'd buy it. Good CPU too :)

Last edited:
Tbh, I don't know that ht cores will do much for performance. I am getting my best numbers at 5 cores. It seems from my reading that best cpu mining performance is on linux. I see some numbers in a few older threads around the net. It seems like average performance on windows, for a 4770 is around 250hs.

Naturally, my Gigabyte 7950 seems to be deciding that since XMR is at the lowest difficulty it's been in some time, it should really start crashing every ten minutes.

Used card, but still under warranty fortunately. I hate to have it shipped off somewhere while XMR difficulty is this low, but I might have to. Right now it's severely downclocked to try and make it stable, but next time it crashes the rig it's coming out of there. I can't even boot the rig if it's the display card anymore. Makes me wonder if the two x16 slots on that board really are dead... every time I've tried them and gotten no boot, it was with the Gigabyte card.

Ah, the joys of mining :D

Nice little spike in price we had on XMR yesterday. Trading, I actually still managed to come out ahead of mining alone considering the 7950 was playing games with me all day.

Last edited:
Back