• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Base clock jumping all over the place

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

haloguy1999

Registered
Around a year ago, I took out my motherboard to install a backplate for a cooler. It broke and wouldn't POST. So I got a new one and installed it. It worked fine and all was well. It was an Asus P8Z77-V with an Intel i7 3770 processor. All of a sudden, the computer would slow down after launching windows and it would almost go frame by frame. Long story short, the base frequency of the CPU is at 250mhz and the multiplier is at it's base 39. My CPU was at 9 ghz. Not good obviously. Restarting/shutting down windows multiple times would reset it down to 100mhz. I RMA'd the motherboard only to get it back as there was nothing wrong with it. When I got it back from Asus, they shipped it terribly and there was scratches and a few bent pins. None the less, I put the board it and when put into sleep mode it would keep the fans on yet shut off windows. I ditched that board and got an MSI G45 Z77a board. After reinstalling windows 7 home premium 64 bit (my OS as I never specified what it was), it still does this issue. It can go from 240 to 1000. Somebody please, PLEASE help me. Is it the processor that could be the issue? Also, no overclocking is in effect except for a small boost to 4.2ghz that has since been reset to base clock (3.4 with boost to 3.9 ghz)

Thanks in advance

What are you monitoring clock speeds with? Cpu-z?

Sometimes Windows gets goofy going in and out of sleep. That's normal. Happens on most of my PCs so I don't sleep them or hibernate. On or Off for me.

I'm using Realtemp.

The temperatures read like, 35 degrees at idle (normally 19-25) and everything is really slow. Also, I notice that when starting the PC after this has happened the entire bios section seems to run slower too. The screen will pop up in sections for example. Also, the 'starting windows' part takes forever for the little swirly things to appear. Do you think my CPU is actually overclocking? Either way, the slowing down is annoying. lol

Not enough info to make a decent assessment.
List full system specs please.
I'm leaning toward user error (how the hell do you break a mobo putting a backplate on?), or bad CPU (due to one of the other disasters).

System specs are:

-Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
-Cooler Master HAF 932 Adv. Full Tower Case
-Corsair GS700 700w Power supply
-Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB hard disk drive
-Vertex 256GB Solid State Drive
-LG 14x Blu ray burner thing (prob. not relevant)
-MSI G45 Z77A Motherboard
-Intel i7 3770 Processor
-Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM (2 sticks of 8gb)
-Corsair H80i liquid cooler with stock fans
-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 3X Windforce edition 2GB Vram 256 bit

I assume the original board was broken as it was my first time doing anything with a PC because I scratched the back while trying to line up the back plate and when trying to put the board in the case on the little screws. Those were extremely idiotic mistakes on my part and I definitely. made sure they didn't happen again. I went without this issue for 6 months until I broke the first board. The second Asus P8Z77-V is when this issue started. Thinking it was the board I RMA'd before being told it was fine. It got damaged in shipping, so I used it for a month (still with the OC issue) before getting the MSI which the issue still exists. I can't see how I screwed up the CPU. I took it out, not touching the bottom, placed it on an anti static bag, left it there, and then put it in (using the arrow thing). Also: The whole reason the MB had to come out in the first place is because the window at the back of the case wasn't big enough to put a BP on. So the whole thing had to come out.

Bent pins in the RMA returned mobo will damage a CPU.
Just an example.
CPU is the common denominator. Try a different one....or try that one in a different board, which you already have done.
CPU is my bet.

Well, when I got the motherboard back from Asus, there were missing/bent pins in the CPU socket, but there weren't before that. I also don't have another CPU. All I would have would be a Pentium II from a 2004 computer that died and has been sitting in my basement for 6 years. Something tells me it's not 1155 socket... :l

Well, when I got the motherboard back from Asus, there were missing/bent pins in the CPU socket, but there weren't before that.

I RMA'd the motherboard only to get it back as there was nothing wrong with it. When I got it back from Asus, they shipped it terribly and there was scratches and a few bent pins. None the less, I put the board it and when put into sleep mode it would keep the fans on yet shut off windows.

You ran the CPU in the board with bent/missing pins. Hence my bet is on CPU damage.

But this was an issue before there was any bent pins in the socket. When I ran the CPU in the board with the bent pins this had already been an issue.

System specs are:

-Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
-Cooler Master HAF 932 Adv. Full Tower Case
-Corsair GS700 700w Power supply
-Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 2TB hard disk drive
-Vertex 256GB Solid State Drive
-LG 14x Blu ray burner thing (prob. not relevant)
-MSI G45 Z77A Motherboard
-Intel i7 3770 Processor
-Corsair Vengeance 16gb RAM (2 sticks of 8gb)
-Corsair H80i liquid cooler with stock fans
-Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 3X Windforce edition 2GB Vram 256 bit

I assume the original board was broken as it was my first time doing anything with a PC because I scratched the back while trying to line up the back plate and when trying to put the board in the case on the little screws. Those were extremely idiotic mistakes on my part and I definitely. made sure they didn't happen again. I went without this issue for 6 months until I broke the first board. The second Asus P8Z77-V is when this issue started. Thinking it was the board I RMA'd before being told it was fine. It got damaged in shipping, so I used it for a month (still with the OC issue) before getting the MSI which the issue still exists. I can't see how I screwed up the CPU. I took it out, not touching the bottom, placed it on an anti static bag, left it there, and then put it in (using the arrow thing). Also: The whole reason the MB had to come out in the first place is because the window at the back of the case wasn't big enough to put a BP on. So the whole thing had to come out.

I'd pull that Blue Ray Burner thingy out and unplug it and set Bios to stock settings (meaning no overclock) and give it a posting.

Instead of using RealTemp, Try Cpu-z to read the clocks. If they clock down low, like 800mhz, that's normal for a idle or near idle 3770K to do. Mine does it all the time under light use while in power savings mode.

Around a year ago, I took out my motherboard to install a backplate for a cooler. It broke and wouldn't POST. So I got a new one and installed it. It worked fine and all was well. It was an Asus P8Z77-V with an Intel i7 3770 processor. All of a sudden, the computer would slow down after launching windows and it would almost go frame by frame. Long story short, the base frequency of the CPU is at 250mhz and the multiplier is at it's base 39. My CPU was at 9 ghz. Not good obviously.

You mean 0.9 Ghz? (900 Mhz) That probably means a push pin isn't even in correctly. Push pins are the reason I have been steering away from stock heatsinks.

I'd pull that Blue Ray Burner thingy out and unplug it and set Bios to stock settings (meaning no overclock) and give it a posting.

Uh, I guess I could try? Seriously, tell me if your kidding, I don't know if you are. lol I will try it otherwise.

That's a wrong reading, because that's unlikely on sub-zero cooling!

For the record, I never have actually experienced this issue with CPU Z. Maybe Real Temp was the issue? I've uninstalled it anyway. I've just gotten CPU Z and am going to upload the screenshots. Also, do you need to me to trigger the issue to show you? I really don't want to as it can take forever to fix (Shutting down and turning on PC over, and over, and over) but if I have to, then I guess I will. :(

Back