• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Numerous empty cache2.Trash folders are being created in Firefox profile

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
They are empty cache2.Trash folders, does anyone else see them in your Firefox user profile? It started as of Firefox 29 I think.

about:config
browser.cache.auto_delete_cache_version
set to -1 stops it I think.

I think it's a new Firefox feature, not sure what it does...

Last edited:
I'm running 29.0.1 on my laptop and I don't have any files that are even close to that name in my roaming or local profile. I also don't have the browser.cache.auto_delete_cache_version option in about:config.

Are these files huge or something? I don't understand why it is an issue.

If I may ask, why are you not on Firefox 30 final?

1. If you allow Firefox to create profiles in default locations, this issue cannot be replicated.
2. Only if custom locations of profiles are used (in my case on a completely separate document hard drive), then profile folders are filled with numerous empty cache2.Trash folders.
3. If about:config > browser.cache.auto_delete_cache_version is set to -1 then instead of numerous empty cache2.Trash folders, a single cache2 folder is created.

Now that we know that - is all this by design of a new feature or is it a bug?
What is the difference between setting browser.cache.auto_delete_cache_version
to -1 vs. 1

The created cache2.Trash folders appear to be empty...

I don't use my laptop often outside of school, so it didn't get updated yet. My desktop has 30, which does have the option and it is set to 1. I don't have the files, but I'm using the default location.

If they are empty, why is it a problem?

Back