• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III PE/OC6950 2GB OC problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

I have had this unlocked MSI 6950 Twin Frozr III for while but haven't overclocked it much because whenever I do it crashes/freezes. It's running stock at 850/1300 but if I up the gpu clock even to 860 it will freeze in game. I have tried upping the voltage in MSI Afterburner but it still crashes after a slight OC.

Even after raising the core voltage to 1245-1250mV? You should be able to hit 1008/1008/5800 (1450MHz x 4) at that voltage, or at least close to those clocks.

Even after raising the core voltage to 1245-1250mV? You should be able to hit 1008/1008/5800 (1450MHz x 4) at that voltage, or at least close to those clocks.

I haven't tried upping the voltage that high yet because I read the max safe voltage is 1200mV. I tried to run the gpu at 900 with 1200mV in AB and it ran BF3 for a few minutes then froze. Also is there way to tell if the voltage is actually being changed? I unlocked the options in AB but I am not sure if it's actually changing the voltage or not.

Do you mean you've flashed the BIOS to a 6970 Gpu or "unlocked" meaning you can overclock it?

It thought it was just unlocked but I could be wrong. It just shows up as 6900 series in GPU-Z with the extra shaders. I bought the card like this.

It's unlocked with just the extra shaders showing in GPU-Z. Everything else shows up stock.
It's possible with the shaders unlocked it's not going to be stable at anything other then stocks clocks. The reason why it was chosen to be a 6950 is possibly because it wasn't up to spec with it at 6970 specs. Though raising the voltage could help stabilize it. Open Gpu-Z and click on the sensors tab. Put it under load by using a game or run the Heaven benchmark and you will see what the voltage is running at.

Okay so I just ran it at 1225mV in AB with Heavens benchmark and it stayed at 1200mV in GPU-Z.

Odd I don't think that card is voltage locked and GPU-Z is usually pretty accurate for me, so I don't think it's a software issue. Hopefully someone with more experience with that card will pop on, because I really don't have any answers, sorry.

Back