• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faint rolling bars on main monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

some thing I have just noticed today. my Samsung 23" BX2231 monitor is developing some rolling bars that go from bottom to top, it not super noticeable but I can see it. what do you all thing is going on?
caps possibly? its not a super old monitor and it doesent have a whole lot of hours on it either.

its hooked up over HDMI, different cords don't change it.
my second monitor, a Samsung 940MW, doesent have any thing on it and its hooked up over DVI using the same videocard in sig.

the 940MW is something I got at the goodwill as-is store for $10 bucks and it says it was manufactured February 2006 the main monitor BX2231 was manufactured March 2011

Do you have a laptop or second desktop you can try on the monitor?

Raspberry Pi boards are cheap ($35) and have HDMI out for testing. Might be a decent diagnostic option.

My guess would be monitor, largely because the GPU and HDMI are entirely digital, while the monitor involves some analog bits. It's possible that its something else though.

As bob says it's the analogue bits.
Description seems like its EMI/RFI interference.

A half decent fully shielded hdmi cable with ferrites either end will take care of that possible mode of entry.

The other most likely being the monitors power cable and feed.
Two ferrite clamps for a few dollars a piece is a cheap enough experiment.

Try switching around using different power outlets may cure it.

If your monitor works perfectly with dvi then I doubt it's about to fail.

With my TV it was a better hdmi lead and pc case that cured it.

Agreeing with Thid especially since HDMI is REALLY picky typically. HDMI is typically either a matter of it will work or won't work.

"Easy" way to test for interference, move the PC and LCD to a different location. Undo any wire ties on cabling and separate the AC for the PC, HDMI, AC for LCD. Plug in only those three cables and see what happens. You POSSIBLY could have interference from the AC cable if you have it coiled with the DC power cable for the LCD.

The reason to move it is to eliminate any other peripherals nearby, unless you are willing to unplug and remove any and all cabling from everything else present.

Back