• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ESXi storage devices: 2 SSD vs 1?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mpegger

With the prices of SSDs coming down, and the recent article about their long term longevity, I'm considering adding a SSD for VM's in my ESXi box, but am not sure if I should go with a single 512GB SSD, or 2 x 256GB. My thinking is since it will be multiple VMs actually running off the SSD, it would be better to have 2 separate SSD, just in case one suddenly dies it won't be a total system failure, and a easy replacement (cost) over a single large SSD. I'm also still worried about writes and life span for a SSD with multple OS's reading/writing to the drive constantly, even with that recent article.:p Thoughts?

Anything for server related operation should be at some level of redundant RAID, IMO.

Thoughts? Grab an 840 EVO/PRO and call it a day.
I would steer VERY wide of anything with a SandForce controller, as I've had a number of those fail.

I highly doubt you'll kill the drives before they become irrelevant with high IO count.

Edit: Are you wanting the SSDs for silence, performance, or other reasons?

Last edited:
I'd consider using two ssds in raid1 if drive failure is the worry. Could also look into some tiering to keep the read/write on the ssd that needs to be there and the rest on spindle.

Drive failure isn't a worry in the sense of data loss, just cost of replacement if a failure did occur. The VMs would be backed up regularly to the ZFS storage, where they reside and run off right now. My thinking, is that if a single SDD being used were to suddenly die, I'd have to spend the same amount to purchase a replacement. With 2 SSDs for about the same price as a single SSD, I'd only spend 1/2 the amount for a replacement if the need arises.

And I'm just looking to squeeze out more performance from the VMs, as running the VMs via NFS is slow, so I don't need RAID for the ESXi storage drives. A single SSD made a huge difference when it came to the 2 main VMs that I currently run on it (the UPS monitor and ZFS host OS). I figure with the prices so low now, I can finally move the VMs to a SSD(s) with enough space for a reasonable price.

Btw, I'm looking at the new MX100's from Crucial. They are Marvell based. Not the speediest, but more then plenty able to make use of the mobo SATA3 ports sitting unused in my ESXi box.

That makes complete sense, for your case I would do two.
Then you can utilize two full ports worth of bandwidth as well.

Looks like that 256GB MX100 is $110 on Newegg right now, that's a steal honestly.

Back