• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DMZ Host

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mi6

Hey, Sorry For posthing sooo much this week =p

but anyhow

i have the BEFSR41 and i have the DMZ host option i wanted to kno ... if i tourn it on and point it to a serten pc it will expose it to the internet but then i dont need to forward the ports to that computer? or does all the connections automaticly go to that computer? if i dont redirect it to the other computers ? becuase i did a port scan on my network and all the port off my server computer are open ? and i figure i can just forward the ports i need and close the DMZ on that computer ? will it still work ?

I have the same router, and as I understand it, DMZing a PC basically forwards all the ports to that PC. having 1 PC in a DMZ or port forward doesn't affect the other computers.

So lets say i have a Wevserver and Cs Server on the PC thats on the DMZ host i dont need to forward the ports ? also if i remove the DMZ entirely can i just forward the ports i need ?

well i would reeeally caution anyone from using dmz hosting unless they know what there doing, as it basically opens up the gate for any woodbee hacker to access your computer..

So yea if you disable dmz hosting you can just forward the port you need.

ok i have disabled DMZ but im not sure what all the ports are for the programes i use how can i find that out?

Open up the router admin and click on logs. Enable Access Log, and send log to a computer on the network by typing the IP into the Send Log To option. Apply. Then you can click on the Incoming and Outgoing access log to see what ports are being used and for what purpose.

I would recommend putting a webserver outside the firewall if it is public and using a software firewall. It is good practice to seperate public and private networks. If one computer is public on your private IP, the entire private network is easy to access by a true hacker.

Also, if you use DMZ and want another computer on your network to act as say a FTP server rather than your webserver, you can use port forwarding here. I would say if you must have your webserver behind the firewall use port forwarding for only the ports you need (21 for ftp, 80 for http), and forget DMZ.

Well i run Webserver / Cs Server / Ftpserver all on the same box and i just resent ly removed DMZ and forwarded the ports the the server box and it seems to work fine.

also i wasent sure what to set DMZ 2 since theres no ON-Off so i just stuck i on port "0". should there be a problem? or is port "0" ok ? since its a inactive port/client ?

Back